Have you or one of your friends and family fallen for the old gas fill up trick

elgordo38

There are people living here who dont systematically check everything to do with money? Amazing.

At petrol stations I dont tell the staff what type of diesel I want until I have walked round and verified that the pump is at zero, and then I stand there the whole time they are filling it and check the reading again at the end.

In shops and restaurants I check every item on the bill and, for hand-written ones, I check the totals also.

I'm endlessly catching errors with bills here and rarely in the customer's favour. Either most people are crooked or most people cant count. Either way, I find it simplest just to double-check everything.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wind down the window, and be seen to do so, so that you can check that the pump is reset to zero, before they start pumping !

The trick IME is when they 'forget' to reset it, after the previous customer, so they get paid twice for the same fuel, and can pocket the money.

I only got caught once, then I learned ! rolleyes.gif

Have the opposite problem....One car can take 4-8 liters after the pump clicks off on a fill....They don't like to/won't top it off and it makes a big difference in kpt and changes things on a road trip....It holds 92 liters so sometimes the volume surprises them - but it can be frustrating...

Thats an impressive tank size, what vehicle is it ?

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me, how many cars with an empty tank as you described fill up with just 400 baht of petrol?

As unlikely as it sounds, I heard a story once where someone claimed to have been scammed on a fill-up but actually had a drink and a little flutter on half the money on the way home.

She has a small Mitsubichi 400 bahts usually fills it.

Whats it got like a 20 litre tank or something ?

no its a trick they have been pulling for years I never take my eye of the pump where the price is from the start to the finish.

con 1. not turn pump back to zero before pumping gas into your bike or car.

con 2. if in a car asking you to pull forward quite a lot so u cant see the price on the pump then they tell you the incorrect price and over charge you.

the cons have been pulled on me a few times but they don't get away with it cos im on themgigglem.gif

The pumps at the gas station display how many liters were pumped and how many Bht that costs.

Cheers.

They do, but they don't necessarily display what went into your tank!

The problem was happening at a particular gas station in Pattaya, the meter was not zeroed before commencing dispensing.

I tend to glance at the meter prior to opening the cover.

The most common scam at petrol stations is where the attendant puts say 50/75 baht of petrol into a motorbike and then immediately hands the nozzle to a friend who then puts it into your waiting car, without resetting the meters, quite common during rush hours when everyone is hurrying and it's very busy.

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me, how many cars with an empty tank as you described fill up with just 400 baht of petrol?

As unlikely as it sounds, I heard a story once where someone claimed to have been scammed on a fill-up but actually had a drink and a little flutter on half the money on the way home.

What I have noticed is the tendency of service attendants to fill the tank, even to the point of gas spilling out, if you ask for ____baht and the tank will only hold ____baht.

I thought these automatically zero'd when the attendant picks up the bowser handle.

How are they circumventing this ?

They don't replace the nozzle into the bowser.

Do they just leave it sitting ontop of the bowser, or on the ground ?

Many years ago when I thought I could speak Thai I mixed up the Sam and the Ha. Asked for Sam Loi and when he finished filling I handed over a Ha Loi shut the window and drove away. It was only after a few minutes when I looked at the guage and started thinking that I realised what I'd done.

Must have made the guys day. sad.png

OK not the same...... or is it ?

If you have mains water and the water goes off, when you use water from your tank then the valve opens to fill the tank, only there is nothing coming out....... yet go and look at the meter, yes it is still going round, so your paying for air.!!

Found out by accident about 4 years ago, went out into the road to turn off mains at the meter, to then added a T in the line so could water the garden before it went into the tank.. no idea if others have the same problem but appears my mains water goes off often and has done in past 12 years, a few times a week that I know of..

I thought these automatically zero'd when the attendant picks up the bowser handle.

How are they circumventing this ?

They don't replace the nozzle into the bowser.

Do they just leave it sitting ontop of the bowser, or on the ground ?

They hand it from one person to another directly, as one customer is finished being served, one who has purchased a fairly low amount of fuel, the nozzle is then passed to another attendant and used directly to fill the next customers vehicle, without resetting the dials.

just look at the cost clearly displayed on the pump before you pay. not difficult.

...or do you take products to a cashier in a shop and pay whatever they ask without checking the price? blink.png

It's slightly more difficult than that, as you will notice if you read the thread!

Always wind down the window, and be seen to do so, so that you can check that the pump is reset to zero, before they start pumping !

The trick IME is when they 'forget' to reset it, after the previous customer, so they get paid twice for the same fuel, and can pocket the money.

I only got caught once, then I learned ! rolleyes.gif

This is exactly what happened to me, motor bike at the pump before you only 100 or 200 baht on the pump easy to leave up and then fill your car.

Not a bad little earner for the attendants to share at the end of the day.

I always go for the full tank and never noticed a problem. I mostly buy gas at the local station and they know me by name - I usually do park where I can see the meter but if I am feeling distrustful, I get out and watch the meter - - of course, I have to keep one foot on the back tire to make sure they are not stealing my tires and replacing them with less expensive more worn tires while they are pumping… of course, if my wife is with me and I get out of the car, I have to worry about her driving off and leaving me and then I have to pay a ransom for her to come and pick me up and bring me back home… oh, I know many of you would not pay the ransom but it is cheaper than hotel and she provides breakfast in the morning - and the service is good because I am a good tipper.

The best I have had is where the pump was not calibrated and when it came to pay, it worked out at around 85 baht per litre and when we explained it the owner was not interested. We had a calculator and put the total in divided by the number of litres, still not interested. When we brought out the fact that our friend driving was Thai Tourist Police, he suddenly became interested and changed the total. On returning home my partner wrote to the parent company with a photo from mobile the phone of the original total and litres, with the petrol station because, no doubt, many customers would have been caught out.

Happened to me once, was really knackered after a long day and drive. Just told the attendant how much we wanted and went to stretch my legs or what ever came back paid and went to drive away, then noticed the gauge didn't move. So had a huge 'discussion' ended up getting the right amount of petrol put in and in the heat of the moment gave us back our cash LOL didn't quite realise we'd walked with a profit until we'd calmed down and were in Bangkok. Though TBH serves them right for trying it on

which 100% she did

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

My g/f just told me her sister went to fill up the gas tank it was almost empty. She said 400 bahts please and paid after the fill up. On her way home she noticed the gas gauge had hardly moved. Rather than turn around and complain she continued home fuming. My g/f tells me this has also happened to a friend twice on a fairly new car and the gas station attendant claims her gas gauge must be malfunctioning. She threatened the gas station owner that she would contact the police and he seemed unfazed. Anyone have a similar experience? Is this one method of theft one should watch out for? I know when I drove a car and filled up with gas I always watched the needle climb before leaving even when I did self serve.

Yes, once.

I mostly buy gas at the local station and they know me by name -

I have found this to be a good practice in most things. Sure, local may be a bit more. But such a small amount means not much to me.

Helps sustain the local economy, and am sure is appreciated. Nice to be greeted by name when you go to the market, etc.

She has a small Mitsubichi 400 bahts usually fills it.

I may be wrong but a bit of thought is needed here esp if you are going to accuse someone of theft. I have a toyat vios 1.5 litre and 400 baht would not get to half a tank. Takes about 1,100 baht for a full tank of gasohol 91

400 baht is about 17 litres or 3.6 uk gallons . My 125cc tuk tuk takes 4 uk gallons. I have never seen a car with less than an 8 gallon tank in my life .Even my mini took 40 litres . Perhaps you should check the size of your tank ?

The smallest mitsubushi i know is the mirage with 35 litres fuel capacity which would be around 900baht to fill