Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

Does anyone know how accurate and reliable these figures are for CMIS (or indeed all CM sites when they can go down for 24 hours easy).  It seems that it (CMIS)  is consistently much higher than Yupparaj Wittayalai.  They are not  that far away from each other (say max of 2.5km straight line) and no significant topographical features between each other, bar the river .  Is it possible to get so different readings in such a relatively short distance given measure is purely generalised burning rather than something always happening at one site?

As an example in the last 48 hours CMIS  for PM 2.5 has a min of 91 and a max of 370 whereas Yupparaj has a min of 53 and a max of 196.

Edited by mamborobert

I bought another Blueair 603 from eaeasy.com here in Thailand a month or so ago, but had I kept following the blog of the guy who reviewed the Xiaomi, I'd have bought that instead I think, after checking from the specs sheet that the volume of air it moves is comparable to the 603.  Though at that price, one could buy several of them before reaching even half the price of a Blueair 603.  Sounds like a great product from a company who appear to make good quality products.

I usually prefer to buy stuff at Home Pro, as I've never had any trouble with returns there.  Not sure about the price for air purifiers, but after comparing the prices of other things, I have got the  impression, right or wrong, that Powerbuy is overpriced.

Thanks a million AWK !! Since you've read the Xiaomi blog have bought a Laser Egg http://originstech.com/products/laser-egg/? Or considering it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, burners19 said:

Thanks a million AWK !! Since you've read the Xiaomi blog have bought a Laser Egg http://originstech.com/products/laser-egg/? Or considering it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hmm, no.  I bought already bought Dylos particle counter some years ago, when deciding whether it was worthwhile to invest in air purifiers in the bedrooms and my studyroom.    But if not I did not have something to measure things already, for sure I would consider it.  

Having something to measure the effect/improvements in the air I or my children sleep in, versus the outside, gives me considerable mental comfort.   It also lets me see approximately how much time the air purifiers need to run at max speed to bring the air quality to a good level, and from then on, I can let them run at the medium speed (I do this since the max speed makes too much noise).  So my usual procedure is to run at max speed the 15-20 minutes before bed, and then switch to medium when getting in to bed.  With other air purifiers and rooms, I'm sure the amount of time would be different, and smaller air purifiers or more leaky rooms may require running at max speed all the time.  Can't tell without something to measure things yourself.

My thoughts exactly AWK. Having feedback seems like a critical part of the process. This is our first season here in CM. We bought the cheapest Mitsubishi HEPA air purifier last weekend for the bedroom, while we get organized. Thanks for all your good advice!

Thailand is an active participant in the global climate change dialogue and a champion for carbon emission reduction,” said Thanya Netithammakun, Director General from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. “We are pleased that the FCPF has recognized our efforts and has granted us additional funding to finance specific activities that will help us further protect our forests and slow the pace of climate change.”

An initial grant of $200,000 was provided to Thailand in 2011 to develop a REDD+ proposal. With additional funding, the project will support the development of Thailand’s national REDD+ strategy that will aim to reduce forest loss through conservation, long lasting management and livelihoods for local communities. In addition, the project will assist Thailand in developing a monitoring system to measure greenhouse gas emissions. Environmental and social safeguards will also be monitored closely, and consultations will be held with ethnic groups, communities and other stakeholders to ensure their participation in the overall strategy development.

this was from a world bank website!!!

i'd really like to know how is the money spent!!

I would say today is the worst day so far for pollution. Mountain was totally obscured this morning. Other landmarks were more feint than normal in the greyness. I went out on some errands for an hour or so by bicycle and I can feel mild sore throat now. Pm2.5 254 at 12:00 Yupparaj. 

4 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I would say today is the worst day so far for pollution. Mountain was totally obscured this morning. Other landmarks were more feint than normal in the greyness. I went out on some errands for an hour or so by bicycle and I can feel mild sore throat now. Pm2.5 254 at 12:00 Yupparaj. 

Agree, pretty bad today.  We need a rainstorm desperately.

Isn't exercise the worst thing to do this time of year? It results in inhaling acute amounts of soot deep into the lungs in a very short time. The government says people are to stay indoors with windows and doors sealed with no exercise to facilitate minimal shallow breathing and people are to wear face masks if having to venture outside. It's the same message every year.

It's interesting to read about the funding, but to be fair it's not a huge amount of money and they have numerous objectives it needs distributed to. It does however answer a curiosity. It's plainly obvious the thai government has been closely monitoring the air situation in recent years unlike the past. Now we know why--it's a system from this organization. That explains why they have all this monitoring going on yet seem to be doing nothing with the data coming out other than announcements. The strategy is as of yet incomplete. Monitoring is a good thing, but it's not solving anything on its own. There's got to be some red faces as the monitoring equipment reveals how awful the air quality actually is and just how long it goes on like this.

Cruising around the city on a bicycle doing some shopping or whatever is similar exercise to walking except you can go a lot further and faster for the same effort. Cycling doesn't have to be Tour de France time trials and lycra shorts. 

10 hours ago, canopy said:

Isn't exercise the worst thing to do this time of year? It results in inhaling acute amounts of soot deep into the lungs in a very short time. The government says people are to stay indoors with windows and doors sealed with no exercise to facilitate minimal shallow breathing and people are to wear face masks if having to venture outside. It's the same message every year.

It's interesting to read about the funding, but to be fair it's not a huge amount of money and they have numerous objectives it needs distributed to. It does however answer a curiosity. It's plainly obvious the thai government has been closely monitoring the air situation in recent years unlike the past. Now we know why--it's a system from this organization. That explains why they have all this monitoring going on yet seem to be doing nothing with the data coming out other than announcements. The strategy is as of yet incomplete. Monitoring is a good thing, but it's not solving anything on its own. There's got to be some red faces as the monitoring equipment reveals how awful the air quality actually is and just how long it goes on like this.

The initial funding of 200,000 usd was only for proposal writing. Millions came after that, but I am sure it is like you said that there is lots of distribution!. Still, I'd like to know how the money are spent in order to limit emission from forest loss or forest burning. 

The authorities have been doing their annual spray water into the air around Thapae Gate event...

Talk about locking the stable door once the horse has bolted. Absolutely pathetic.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jaymk said:

Can anyone recommend a humidifier/air purifier on a budget - and suggest where I can get one near CMU? First burning season in CM, and I'm feeling it bad.

Last weekend was really good, so if you're feeling something, please visit a doctor; it's very likely unrelated, or an allergy, etc. 

24 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Last weekend was really good, so if you're feeling something, please visit a doctor; it's very likely unrelated, or an allergy, etc. 

Its not only the immediate effects we need to be worried about, as most of the damage comes from the cumulative effects of breathing the bad northern air

• Like 2

On 4/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, orang37 said:

Glad to see you back, Khun Vivid; your air-quality reports, and the discussions they triggered have been read with interest. 

cheers, ~o:37;

Hi there, it's past songkran now.  I think it's safe to say that 2017 is not a super duper bad year (vs years like 2015 etc).  :) 

• Like 1

Despite the rain there are still points in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the air is a bit below international standards for clean air. Certainly a good trend overall, though expected like any other year. And remember all it takes is a few days of dry weather, then the fire bugs will plunder the air quality once again.

aq2.jpg

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Despite the rain there are still points in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the air is a bit below international standards for clean air. Certainly a good trend overall, though expected like any other year. And remember all it takes is a few days of dry weather, then the fire bugs will plunder the air quality once again.

aq2.jpg

I assume the higher reading in CM city area are purely from motor traffic which is a constant all year. The last few rainy days have been a pleasant break from the hot season. Visibility was excellent yesterday afternoon hiking down Doi Suthep. All the far mountains and beyond could be seen clearly.

The rains stopped for a few days now and the fires are starting up again and the air quality is deteriorating. In the space of just one day the board has gone from green to yellow. This worsening trend will continue as dry days accumulate and could be back in the red zone very soon.

.aq3.png.88305c3fd04d30264703f302c65dd409.png

Saw rice fields ablaze driving home from work on the canal road today. 

It's 8.10pm now and the smell of smoke hangs heavy in the air. I'm in Nam Phrae.

Satre was on the money when he said hell is other people.