Transfer of money out of Thailand

Are you certain about that first statement, that's the first time I've ever heard of that and it would seem to run counter to the rules on seasoning whereby they state the funds must be held in a Thai bank.

Yes, at least for O-A visa applications filed in the U.S., the bank deposits method of meeting the financial eligibility requirement involves showing U.S. bank deposits -- not Thai bank deposits. Note the specific reference to "U.S." regarding the required bank statement for the O-A visa application.

- applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)

- or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht

- or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.

(When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

As I said above:

--Application for Extension of Stay filed with Thai Immigration: if bank deposit method is used, the funds must be on deposit in Thai bank/s.

--Application for O-A visa filed with Thai Consulates in the U.S.: if bank deposit method is used, the funds must be on deposit in U.S. bank/s.

I am an American and I have posted before about the treaty of Amnity but they take it down as ileagle discussion. I am retired here 2 years and each time I go the the U.S. Embassy in Bkk. Get my income statement saying I have the money notorized, then off to immigration. That's it for an American. No bank statements needed, but some places outside Bkk might ask anyway.

Lol, I forgot the original question. Answer is it is not a problem at all wiring money back and forth from your USA bank and Thai bank. Just pay the fees. Also they will ask, both banks, if you want the money transferred in Baht or US dollars. Check the rates and decide. I did awesome with KTB and them receiving the money in USD?

So it;s really only the first year for American based applications that the rule holds true, that's similar to the UK rule eleven years ago and doubtless still true today.

I'm not sure what you're meaning about "only the first year."

An O-A retirement visa is NOT the same thing as a retirement extension of stay.

If a person was willing to go back to the U.S. approx. every two years to renew their O-A visa at one of the Thai consulates, and they wanted to rely on bank deposits each time to prove financial eligibility, then each time they'd be required to show U.S. -- not Thai -- bank deposits. Same for the first O-A. Same for any renewal O-As after the first one.

• 3 weeks later...