DID KUWAIT Airways just scrap an entire flight service to avoid carrying Israeli passengers?

ezzra

Kuwait’s national airline has ditched its lucrative New York-to-London flight after US authorities threatened legal action over alleged discrimination.

Kuwait Airways told the federal Department of Transportation this week that it plans to discontinue its flights between the US and the UK. It did not say when the last flight on that route would be.

“On December 15th, Kuwait Airways informed the US Department of Transportation [DOT] that they will be eliminating service between JFK and London Heathrow,” said a department spokesman.

The feds were considering pulling Kuwait Airways’ permit to fly in the US because the airline was refusing to sell tickets to customers with Israeli passports.

The airline has at least twice refused to let customers with Israeli passports buy tickets on flights from New York to London because Kuwait has a law that prohibits its citizens from doing business with Israeli customers.

The DOT’s action followed a complaint from an Israeli citizen, Eldad Gatt, who said he attempted to buy a ticket online through Kuwait Airways in 2013, but could not select Israel as his passport-issuer.

The airline said it did not sell a ticket to Gatt in compliance with Kuwaiti law, which forbids doing business with Israel or Israelis.

It said it wasn’t discriminatory because it sells tickets to anyone regardless of race or nationality, provided they have a passport valid in Kuwait.

Jeffrey Lovitky, a lawyer representing Gatt, told CNN that Kuwait Airways’ move to cease the New York-London service failed to address the issue.

“It is unfortunate they have done this instead of accepting Mr Gatt as a passenger,” he told CNN.

“We would’ve preferred that Kuwait Airways relinquishes its continuing boycott of Israeli citizens.”

US politicians who had pushed for the airline’s permit to be cancelled say they are glad the company decided to ditch the flight.

“If you’re so anti-Semitic that you would rather cancel a flight than provide service to Israeli passport holders, then good riddance,” said Councilman Rory Lancman.

Online booking services showed no future flights available from the airline.

Kuwait Airways did not return calls for comment.

This article originally appeared on New York Post.

Can not comment on US route but used it once to Manila and back and would never use again.

The worst service, horrible interior of the plane, everything broken

You are totally missing the point here; we're not talking about any "SERVICE"; we're talking about blatant DISCRIMINATION ! ! !

bah.gif

“If you’re so anti-Semitic that you would rather cancel a flight than provide service to Israeli passport holders, then good riddance,”

clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

They didn't say they won't carry Jews, only Israeli passport holders.

Not anti Semitic, then but racist

“If you’re so anti-Semitic that you would rather cancel a flight than provide service to Israeli passport holders, then good riddance,”

Since when is being in possession of an Israeli passport a race?

....the Cuban embargo is enforced mainly through six statutes: the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917, the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, the Cuban Assets Control Regulations of 1963, the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992, the Helms–Burton Act of 1996, and the Trade Sanctions Reform and Export Enhancement Act of 2000

Of course it's ok when the good ole USA does it.

It isn't that either. It's politics.

Is it necessary to discuss this in the Thailand travel section?

I think it's a relevant topic as Kuwaiti airlines are flying to and from Thailand and there are

many Israeli passports holders that may or may not use their service, well, not now

after this disgusting discrimination and bigoted act by the Kuwaitis...

I think it's a relevant topic as Kuwaiti airlines are flying to and from Thailand and there are

many Israeli passports holders that may or may not use their service, well, not now

Erm...no. They cannot use the service in Thailand either. They don't have to recognise it as a state if they do not want to do so. I don't see it as disgusting and bigoted. They may be putting their principles before money. Who knows?

There are many other airlines on which people with those passports can travel. Not so different from some countries requiring visas whilst others do not.. Put your toys back into the perambulator.

I'm not buying that. Is there any other nation in the Middle East that Kuwait won't board? Only the one tiny nation there associated with Jews.

I'm not buying that. Is there any other nation in the Middle East that Kuwait won't board? Only the one tiny nation there associated with Jews.

Of course you wouldn't, as you have a persecution complex.

But the proof of the pudding....

Iris Eliazarov, an Israeli who lives in Queens, has filed a lawsuit against Kuwait Airways after she was barred from boarding its flight out of Kennedy Airport because she's an Israeli citizen, the New York Daily News reported on Friday.

Eliazarov and her husband David Nektalov bought tickets from a travel agent to fly from New York to London with the flagship Kuwaiti airline. While Nektalov was allowed on the flight with his US passport, Eliazarov was stopped when she presented her Israeli passport and was forced to buy a ticket on another airline.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4624171,00.html

Can not comment on US route but used it once to Manila and back and would never use again.

The worst service, horrible interior of the plane, everything broken

You are totally missing the point here; we're not talking about any "SERVICE"; we're talking about blatant DISCRIMINATION ! ! !

bah.gif

More like a political decision in which Kuwait Airways has little say.

Given the countless discriminatory acts committed by Israelis towards Palestinians every year its quite a laughable statement.

Now I have no home....to....now I have no airline ticket.

Get some perspective...its purely a political stance by Kuwait.....NOTHING to do with Kuwait Airways.

My only experience with Kuwait is the night KU flight from MNL-BKK. (All the FA's in economy are Thai). The English language Kuwaiti newspapers are filled with the most crazed anti-American and jew-hating rubbish, can't imagine what is written in the Arabic press. The inflight meals are very good.

Can't believe these are the people who got saved from Saddam by Bush 1.

KU (Kuwait Airways) is an old skool National Airline. KU might as well be a government ministry. To say it has nothing to do with the Kuwaiti govt. is absurd.

Here is one of the more harmless things I saw This last time in March when I took the KU flight from MNL. (editorial in the English Language newspapers).

It said that said a person should not buy flowers at a Hospital Gift shop to give to patients because that was a foreign custom "BROUGHT BY THE KUFFARS".

Instead one should give to an Islamic charity.

Edited by arunsakda

KU (Kuwait Airways) is an old skool National Airline. KU might as well be a government ministry. To say it has nothing to do with the Kuwaiti govt. is absurd.

Here is one of the more harmless things I saw This last time in March when I took the KU flight from MNL. (editorial in the English Language newspapers).

It said that said a person should not buy flowers at a Hospital Gift shop to give to patients because that was a foreign custom "BROUGHT BY THE KUFFARS".

Instead one should give to an Islamic charity.

Kafir – Concealer of the Truth (Non-Muslims)

If that is what they believe, that is their choice....or would you wish to stuff your beliefs down their throats?

Nothing to do with stuffing ones beliefs down other throats.

At first it appears this is America kowtowing to another capricious whim of Israel but KU's policy is clear-cut violation of The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments and rulings.

Many people struggled, suffered and died so Americans can enjoy public accommodations free from discrimination based on race and national origin.

If Kuwait Airways wish to operate as a common carrier in the United States they must do so in compliance with Federal Law.

Edited by arunsakda

At first it appears this is America kowtowing to another capricious whim of Israel but KU's policy is clear-cut violation of The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments and rulings.

Many people struggled, suffered and died so Americans can enjoy public accommodations free from discrimination based on race and national origin.

If Kuwait Airways wish to operate as a common carrier in the United States they must do so in compliance with Federal Law.

So they withdrew the route. Do you still have a problem? Or is it that you want them to conform to your way of thinking?

They aren't discriminating against Americans. They just don't want people with Israeli passports on their flights. Fair enough I say.

Once again. no different from countries that require visas for some nationalities. Sometimes visas get refused. What are you going to do? Sue?

If they don't want you, they don't want you. Go elsewhere.

Sometimes LAWS are just wrong and good people have make sure the Law is changed. There is no place for small minded racists in my world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbish. Does Israel accept Palestinian passports? You do know that there has been an widely recognised state of Palestine since 1988? How hard have you been fighting on their behalf?

So please.....

Sometimes LAWS are just wrong and good people have make sure the Law is changed. There is no place for small minded racists in my world.

Rubbish. Does Israel accept Palestinian passports? You do know that there has been an widely recognised state of Palestine since 1988? How hard have you been fighting on their behalf?

So please.....

There is no place for racism is any part of this modern world. If you disagree, go back into your hole.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

So please.....

There is no place for racism is any part of this modern world. If you disagree, go back into your hole.

The only hole involved here is the one that you are using to attempt to pontificate. You are insinuating that their law is wrong, but you have power over who can enter your property. Perhaps we should change that law too.

Those who refuse to accept Palestine as a state cannot complain when they receive the same treatment from others. Your oversimplified description of the situation as racism deserved my contempt.

So please.....

The only hole involved here is the one that you are using to attempt to pontificate. You are insinuating that their law is wrong, but you have power over who can enter your property. Perhaps we should change that law too.

Those who refuse to accept Palestine as a state cannot complain when they receive the same treatment from others. Your oversimplified description of the situation as racism deserved my contempt.

Your way off topic... get a life!

So they withdrew the route. Do you still have a problem? Or is it that you want them to conform to your way of thinking?

They aren't discriminating against Americans. They just don't want people with Israeli passports on their flights. Fair enough I say.

Once again. no different from countries that require visas for some nationalities. Sometimes visas get refused. What are you going to do? Sue?

If they don't want you, they don't want you. Go elsewhere.

Kuwait's anachronistic 1970's style policy of not recognizing Israel is stupid. Israels failure to recognize Palestine and the continuing crimes against the Palestimian Arab people is worse. KU airways policy is ineffective. The policy does not stop "people with Israeli Passports" from boarding their flights many traveling between JFK and LHR will be dual passport holders anyway. The US is not interfering in the internal affairs of Kuwait, simply clarifying that to operate as a common carrier in the US they must conform to US law. Edited by arunsakda