Does Imm hold your passport?

junglechef

My old(ish) mind forgot that when I did my last annual Supporting (aka Marriage) Visa did Immigration hold my passport for a month while it processes the paperwork.

I seem to recall that as it went along with getting another month making it in reality a 13 month visa.

Didn't really matter then as I didn't need to use my passport but this time my annual visa runs out on the 13th and I'm planning a trip out of the country around the same time.

If I renew early, say a week before it expires, which I believe I can do (correct me if I'm wrong please) is there any system to allow me to leave the country while they process the visa if they in fact do keep my passport?

Or is there a way to extend or perhaps put on hold my current visa?

Or is it an option for me to leave the country before it runs out and since it will expire while I'm out of the country apply for another annual visa upon my return?

If so what do I enter on, a tourist visa issued at the airport upon entering?

I do plan to go to immigration next week to inquire but I know there are some experts on TV who might clear it some of my confusion.

And while I have these great minds attention what happens if someone forgets to do a 90 day and realizes 60 days later then their required check-in?

Thanks,

JC

You keep your passport for the month under consideration, but if you leave the country during that time the visa is invalidated and you need to start over.

Thanks

So do I have any choices besides spending all day at immigration starting at an ungodly hour for what would basically be an expensive two day visa extension if I want to leave after my current visa expires?

I would get a reentry permit as usual.

You keep your passport for the month under consideration, but if you leave the country during that time the visa is invalidated and you need to start over.

Unless you get a re-entry permit. Can get just a single re-entry.

I would get a re-entry permit as I always do when leaving so my visa isn't invalidated.

Are you saying if I get a re-entry permit I permitted to leave while my application is under review and when I return I can just pick-up my new visa if approved?

Unless you get a re-entry permit. Can get just a single re-entry.

Are you entirely sure about that? I tried that a few years ago and was told at Airport Imm that it can't be done. Ended up foregoing the trip.

JC, your other option is to ditch the extension and apply for a new visa wherever you are going, if that's possible.

Thinking of a MTB vacation in Philippines and would rather not spend time while there dealing with this if possible but is a viable option if it makes the most sense.

What kind of Visa would you recommend?

Also anyone remember when Promanade Immigration office opened for 90 day reporting?