Bangkok's legendary rip-off restaurant gets probed over THB1,000 tom yum

webfact

Bangkok's legendary rip-off restaurant gets probed over THB1,000 tom yum
By Coconuts Bangkok

expensive_food.jpg
A snapshot of the overpriced food bill was posted on the Pantip forum. Photo: User Richeorang

BANGKOK: -- Sriayudhya Seafood Market, the Phaya Thai restaurant that many tuk tuk and taxi drivers love to recommend to tourists, is facing an investigation after a group of tourists were made to pay THB12,418 for their meal.

With a long record of complaints on TripAdvisor along the lines of “bloody expensive!” and “scam!”, the infamous restaurant is finally being investigated by the Department of Internal Trade after a Thai woman filed a complaint and shared a snapshot of the receipt from her foreign friends on the Pantip forum.

The bill listed absurd prices for an omelet (THB600), snapper (THB3,400), tom yum kung (THB1,000), and grilled squid (THB2,040) including 7 percent vat and 10 percent service charge.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/18/bangkoks-legendary-rip-restaurant-gets-probed-over-thb1000-tom-yum

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-18

Tourist have reported this restaurant several times to the Thai authorities: Tourist police and local police. Apparently, it remains business as usually.

The Supreme Junta needs to follow China's Xi Jinping blacklisting individuals with A history of chronic corruption and fraud.

The Supreme Junta could simply wave his hand and "poof".

Just paint FF in front of every business that cheats farang. It will be our code. (FF=farang fuchers)

I know...you don't have to tell me. There won't be any place with out the dreaded FF in a months time. coffee1.gif

Edited by onetime

Just paint FF in front of every business that cheats farang. It will be our code. (FF=farang fuchers)

I know...you don't have to tell me. There won't be any place with out the dreaded FF in a months time. coffee1.gif

Actually there won't be enough paint to finish the task :D

This is the Thai over charging in a nutshell... they are just following the same price difference as other private and government facilities do!

The first thing is the national parks that charges 20 Baht for Thai and 200 for us foreigners. Wat Prakeo that is free for Thai even charged me 500 Baht when I went there on a field trip with my students, when the director of the college asked the guide and workers why it was not free for me as I'm a teacher the guide just said "Farang phen farang, farang 500 Baht!".

I can also compare between myself (living here) and my sister that came down for holiday as we both need to eat allergy medicine from time to time.
Last time I spent 80 Baht in the local government hospital for seeing the doctor and 20 allergy pills without using any insurance or anything (50 for the doctor and 30 for the medicine).

My sister went to a private hospital and had to pay 500 Baht + that the hospital charged the insurance company and that was for her seeing the doctor and get 20 allergy pills... Not even the imported stuff but the same Thai brand that I usually get!

Actually there won't be enough paint to finish the task biggrin.png

Don't worry, THAI airways has got plenty of stock...

I don't know what is the issue here. If the prices are on the menu and you are still ordering it then you knew what your bill was going to be. Vote with your wallet and never visit again.

That's the trick. Some prices are on the menu, some items are on the menu but without price (market availability etc.) and some common items are not on the menu, and when people order them, they assume they are priced at the same level as those on the menu. They are not, of course. I think we paid nearly a thousand baht for squid with garlic, which was not on the menu, but that one would typically expect to be priced at less than 150 baht at a restaurant of this standard and location. It's not a luxury restaurant, mind you. The atmosphere turns very awkward once you start questioning the prices on the bill, and the only thing you want is to pay and leave, which is what most people do. Read the Trip Advisor page, and you'll see the reactions.

As far as I know, they scam Thais and farangs the same way, so this has nothing to do with farang prices.

It's better value than the prices make it seem. Here's a photo of that 600 baht omelette being prepared.

wpid-article-1315929576231-0dd98de500000

Fair enuf, but a touch annoying that it took a Thai national complaint to be taken seriously b4 anythings been done when,seemingly, westerners have been complaining for ???? And not taken seriously or is it just a case of the Thai knowing where the 'right' place to complain is ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

It's better value than the prices make it seem. Here's a photo of that 600 baht omelette being prepared.

wpid-article-1315929576231-0dd98de500000

Fair enuf, but a touch annoying that it took a Thai national complaint to be taken seriously b4 anythings been done when,seemingly, westerners have been complaining for ???? And not taken seriously or is it just a case of the Thai knowing where the right place to complain ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is not the first time a Thai has complained. Less than a year since last time, and it went viral big time. The owners of the restaurant are apparently well connected.

I don't know what is the issue here. If the prices are on the menu and you are still ordering it then you knew what your bill was going to be. Vote with your wallet and never visit again.

I have walked out of restaurants that do not show the price on the menu

Bad but is there anyone in the world who would take the recommendation of a taxi or motor rickshaw driver for a seafood dinner? seriously?

They should be shut down, this scam has been running too long, nothwithstanding the vague amusement in reading the complaints

Thailand is loosing more and more of its friendly face. Even a dog know never to bite the hand that is feeding you. Someday it will all turn against them and tourist will stop coming. This is bizar. If i had to pay 12.000 bath for a meal i wanted to be at least at a 3 star Michelin restaurant.

the simple resolution to this is to force all businesses (make it law) that serve/sell to the public to clearly display their prices especially for drink and food, it is as simple as that, they have every right to charge what they want for their produce/sevice provided that those purchaing have a clear understanding of how much it will cost, I honestly get fed up having to ask for the price of something before I proceed with an order