Doner Kebabs

Rob13

There is a food cart on the corner of Changklan and Loi Kroh by the LaMeridian hotel in the night Bazaar. It is closed for a few day's while the Princess is there. Three days I believe. They are delicious. I have heard of others in town but don't know where they are.

Isn't there a famous Turkish lad that goes along LK Rd. much to the annoyance of forum posters that want him arrested (again) for WP violations.

Actually he is Greek and has a Thai beau as his intermediary. Great guy, good food. Why the hassle from forum posters and LK business people? - at least he brings in street traffic!

Isn't there a famous Turkish lad that goes along LK Rd. much to the annoyance of forum posters that want him arrested (again) for WP violations.

Actually he is Greek and has a Thai beau as his intermediary. Great guy, good food. Why the hassle from forum posters and LK business people? - at least he brings in street traffic!

If he's Greek, then he's selling souvlaki.

If he's Greek, then he's selling souvlaki.

gyros

the ones sold in C.M. are all terrible Thai renditions of this delicious food. they put ketchup, sweet chili sauce, mayonnaise and all kinds of junk on there that you would never find on them in the Middle East. they only sell chicken and it is dry as a bone. the best one is actually made by the Indian family who owns the Indian shop next to Zoe. they put the yogurt and mint sauce, proper chili sauce, etc. on them. the older lady has been selling them at the Wat at the Sunday night walking street for 10 years or so.

the real ones can be found in Bangkok in little Arabia (Suk/Suk soi 3) or the guys around the corner from Khaosan Road that have been there for years and probably sell 200 or more per day.

the ones sold at SK are the Donner kebab style (which i believe is the Turkish style adapted by the Brits). it's not bad but lamb has a real gamy taste to me. there was a Thai lady with a Turkish partner selling fantastic gyros (whatever you want to call them) and they even made the bread there on the street. they had a mix of chicken/lamb. they were only around about 6 months and then they vanished. i got her card and called but the number was closed.

basically....go to Bangkok...

As a kid I lived in Cyprus. The best kebabs were shish kebab - on skewers. Put in a pocket of bread with spring onion, lettuce and tomato. They squeezed lemon juice over the meat. Always cooked over a smoky charcoal fire. I never saw a donner kebab 'till I got to Australia. The Australian ones are rubbish.

I don't mind the Australian ones - at least they actually use Turkish pide bread (and no mayo or sweet tomato sauce). We tried Sausage King a while ago, I liked the way the meat was done, but it was English style with pita bread and sweet sauces (and as I remember mayo but I could be wrong, definitely didn't taste like yoghurt). I'm not saying that they were bad, just not what I'm used to, more sweet than tangy. If you are English and were brought up on this kind of kebab, you'll probably love them but Aussies used to proper garlic sauce (with yoghurt) may not like them so much. Either way they are definitely worth a try.

I was craving them so badly that I experimented until I had it (almost) perfect. Making the Turkish bread was easy because I've made it for years, but getting the meat right was harder. I use minced lamb (from Makro) fresh parsley, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and into the oven. I've served up dozens of them over the last couple of years and nobody has ever complained - if anyone is making them fresh parsley in the meat mix is essential and fresh lemon (not bottled) squeezed over it just before serving is really important.

I don't mind the Australian ones - at least they actually use Turkish pide bread (and no mayo or sweet tomato sauce). We tried Sausage King a while ago, I liked the way the meat was done, but it was English style with pita bread and sweet sauces (and as I remember mayo but I could be wrong, definitely didn't taste like yoghurt). I'm not saying that they were bad, just not what I'm used to, more sweet than tangy. If you are English and were brought up on this kind of kebab, you'll probably love them but Aussies used to proper garlic sauce (with yoghurt) may not like them so much. Either way they are definitely worth a try.

I was craving them so badly that I experimented until I had it (almost) perfect. Making the Turkish bread was easy because I've made it for years, but getting the meat right was harder. I use minced lamb (from Makro) fresh parsley, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and into the oven. I've served up dozens of them over the last couple of years and nobody has ever complained - if anyone is making them fresh parsley in the meat mix is essential and fresh lemon (not bottled) squeezed over it just before serving is really important.

I'm English and was lucky to live in a town with a good smattering of Mediterranean immigrants, so certainly didn't have kebabs such as you're describing as being 'English'.

I'm English and was lucky to live in a town with a good smattering of Mediterranean immigrants, so certainly didn't have kebabs such as you're describing as being 'English'.

Good - that meas they're not all like that. In most of Yorkshire and all of the north east, they use pita bread which usually tastes of nothing and lots and lots of mayo. The meat is pretty much the same and the salad is identical to what you get in Australia but you get proper pide and yoghurt if going Turkish or a flatbread and yoghurt if Lebanese or other middle eastern or Greek. All taste different to the informed, although visitors who are used to the pita and mayo get a bit of a shock to the system with different breads and tangy yoghurt.

There is a food cart on the corner of Changklan and Loi Kroh by the LaMeridian hotel in the night Bazaar. It is closed for a few day's while the Princess is there. Three days I believe. They are delicious. I have heard of others in town but don't know where they are.

Well there has been other places mentioned also the way they are made. The food cart I mentioned is open for business now and if you don't want some of the sauces you can mention it to them and they will not put it on. No problem in that department. They do use Pita bread which is cooked or heated up on the spot. 50 baht.

Well there has been other places mentioned also the way they are made. The food cart I mentioned is open for business now and if you don't want some of the sauces you can mention it to them and they will not put it on. No problem in that department. They do use Pita bread which is cooked or heated up on the spot. 50 baht.

What sauces do they use?

What sauces do they use?

I don't know or care I like them. If there was a sauce there that I didn't like I would find out which one and ask them not to put it on.

The best "kebabs" ever had was from a takeout /restaurant near the Yoga studio I was attending in Jersey City, NJ about 10 years back. The guy had also had Gyros also but he was very explicit in saying they were regular "greek" Gyros, "But these Kebabs are authentic Syrian style". (The dude had an Aleppo poster on the wall).

The bread was a very thin wrap, almost like a tortilla and freshly baked. My favorite actually was the Falafel Pita. The fried Falafels were donut shaped, and served in a nice Pita with veggies and some kind of sauce. Absolutely delicious.

Archived