Harbor Mall Pattaya - Opening date?

slafriphos

Is Tukcom a success? I say yes despite its transportation woes and lousy location. Wait until the Sukumvit reconstruction is completed and all the families on the dark side are free to travel again. I envision myself shopping at both Foodland and Harbour Mall. Many here have rushed to judgment (BTW has Central Festival and the Hilton collapsed yet?).

Check out the word Location thumbsup.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone how predicts on a forum on the second day of opening that a mall will be a hit in the future, and thereby ridicule everyone else post who doesn't agree with him, is in my opinion just someone who is showing an excessive self love.

Not sure what "hit" means as I didn't say that. But you've been known to make up stuff. Success, yep, I think it will be, though I have no way of knowing how big of a success. Nor did it matter what day I went, as I of course took into account the inevitable crowd at an opening and considered all the other factors in the mall's favor. Nor am I ridiculing but merely observing. Meanwhile I don't expect our doomsayers will come up with any showstoppers, just as you haven't, that make any real economic sense. Repeating over and over won't make it so. Most will merely amount to "I don't like it." wink.png

It will take a while to get to the "acceptance" stage of TVFPNCS. One of our old doomsayers took 7 years finally to admit "I was wrong about Central Festival." Others still haven't got there yet. smile.png

Next.

Won’t the success or otherwise of this development eventually be based on how much money people have actually spent as opposed to just strolling about during the weekend enjoying the free air conditioning?ermm.gif

I mean honestly how much can any of these shopping centre owners realistically expect to squeeze out of the Thai consumer who is already up to his or her neck in debt? Many Thais are paying 30 to 40% of their salary in interest on loans.facepalm.gif

Is it a surprise that even the Chief Executive of the Central Group Tos Chirathiwat said to reporters in Bangkok last week Central were experiencing a sluggish domestic economy and those Thai’s who are considered to be premium customers are now spending their money overseas rather than at homesad.png

Tos Chirathiwat said “What’s worrying is that the figure for overseas spending is growing at 10% every year, while domestic consumption is expanding at only 2%”

enough saidunsure.png

Holy crap, traffic in/out today was insane. Even the bikes had to wait forever. Everybody walking around but shops were empty. Only first time lookers. Nothing special to see inside, doubt I will go back.

Is Tukcom a success? I say yes despite its transportation woes and lousy location. Wait until the Sukumvit reconstruction is completed and all the families on the dark side are free to travel again. I envision myself shopping at both Foodland and Harbour Mall. Many here have rushed to judgment (BTW has Central Festival and the Hilton collapsed yet?).

with 2 more tunnels to be built its gunna be a long time before Suk road is finished. Even then after it is all done the will have to dig it up and lay new drainage pipes.

The Harbour / Tukcom / Laemthong folks will be fine. If I may offer a Pattaya related anecdote that kind of explains the situation. I'm paraphrasing, but when people (both Thai and foreign economists alike) ask how the old couple who runs a certain optical shop near Walking Street stays in business ...it's one of those old school shops that might sell 1 pair of glasses a day on a good day... the answer given by those in the know say something along the lines of "they stay in business by owning about 20 properties between here and Pattaya Klang."

Holy crap, traffic in/out today was insane. Even the bikes had to wait forever. Everybody walking around but shops were empty. Only first time lookers. Nothing special to see inside, doubt I will go back.

Yes today sunday the traffic on central road was very bad, I was stuck for 20 (odd) minutes trying to get to the new Harbour Mall got to just past Big C and said sod it turned the car round and went to Tesco south Pattaya instead it was packed full of "air bathers" car park almost full and no trolleys left !

The Harbour / Tukcom / Laemthong folks will be fine. If I may offer a Pattaya related anecdote that kind of explains the situation. I'm paraphrasing, but when people (both Thai and foreign economists alike) ask how the old couple who runs a certain optical shop near Walking Street stays in business ...it's one of those old school shops that might sell 1 pair of glasses a day on a good day... the answer given by those in the know say something along the lines of "they stay in business by owning about 20 properties between here and Pattaya Klang."

maybe so but if you're suggesting they have got so much money that it doesn't matter, they could have just built a temple for themselves which doesn't need to be air-conditioned

Only a select few members see the shops full of people and think Thais have unlimited money sources so they just spend all day whenever a new mall opens.

But the reality is that most Thai people just make it a day out, and the gasoline from Bangkok to Pattaya and maybe a burger and an ice cream is all they spend that day for the simple reason that they don't have more to spend.

Edited by TheCruncher

I'm going to be a naysayer - I was there on the first day and decided it was just too ugly, cramped and shop worn - yep, it already felt shop worn. It has no style inside, just lots of bright lights and chrome and glass, narrow walkways and narrow escalators - nothing to give it a distinctive airy, relaxing feel - similar to that tired Laem Chabang setup. Once again, in typical Thai fashion, everything was rushed to get it open - too much junk and crap lying around, chaotic parking. Should have waited another couple of weeks. A few interesting shops, but unless the IT floors fill up and become a go-to place, I shan't be making an effort to go there.

Only a select few members see the shops full of people and think Thais have unlimited money sources so they just spend all day whenever a new mall opens.

But the reality is that most Thai people just make it a day out, and the gasoline from Bangkok to Pattaya and maybe a burger and an ice cream is all they spend that day for the simple reason that they don't have more to spend.

LOL. At Central I've had to wait for a table at a number of restaurants on the 5th and 6th floors, at 8:30 PM!... weekends AND week days... mostly full of Thai people spending plenty. I don't know where they come from, but I see plenty of Thai people spending lots of money every day of the week... and not only in the restaurants. Due to easier access from Sukhumvit Road I'm sure Harbor Mall will do very well from Thai people and won't be relying on tourists.

Edited by tropo

I'm going to be a naysayer - I was there on the first day and decided it was just too ugly, cramped and shop worn - yep, it already felt shop worn. It has no style inside, just lots of bright lights and chrome and glass, narrow walkways and narrow escalators - nothing to give it a distinctive airy, relaxing feel - similar to that tired Laem Chabang setup. Once again, in typical Thai fashion, everything was rushed to get it open - too much junk and crap lying around, chaotic parking. Should have waited another couple of weeks. A few interesting shops, but unless the IT floors fill up and become a go-to place, I shan't be making an effort to go there.

I agree the mall already feels tired and worn out ....

This mall would be looking sharp if the opening date was

1986 instead of 2016....

LOL. At Central I've had to wait for a table at a number of restaurants on the 5th and 6th floors, at 8:30 PM!... weekends AND week days... mostly full of Thai people spending plenty. I don't know where they come from, but I see plenty of Thai people spending lots of money every day of the week... and not only in the restaurants. Due to easier access from Sukhumvit Road I'm sure Harbor Mall will do very well from Thai people and won't be relying on tourists.

When following your reasoning, then I wonder why harbor mall Laem Chabamg and Tukcom Chonburi are not doing so well with Thai people, however they are even easier to access for Bangkok people. You may have noticed that the majority of the visitors this weekend carried Bangkok license plates on their cars.

Then, Central is a completely different animal then Harbor mall.Take away the tourists in Central and leave only the Thai people in there and your views especially on weekdays will be completely different.

By the way, 8.30 PM is peak time for restaurants, so being cherry picking again to support your flawed arguments?

Last time I checked Central had about 12 operating hours every day. How many times you had to wait for a table at 3.30 PM on a Tuesday?

You see the shops full, and I see them way below capacity, but have your views anymore value than mine on this forum?

I think it was clear form the comments of the Chief Executive of the Central Group Tos Chirathiwat that actually things aren't going as expected, and I doubt his comments were a publicity stunt.

Edited by TheCruncher

other than Tesco and the food joints in Laem Chabang Harbor mall I would hazard a guess and say none of the other places are doing at all well and when the Makro being built right next door is finished Tesco will also struggle.

Edited by Don Mega

Yeah, the Central Festival Pattaya beach naysayers seem to have gotten that one wrong. I think a handful were also predicting that it would physically collapse too. LOL.

Well geographically Central Festival has alot of advantages: On the beach, two incoming streams of traffic from distinct locations ,

in a tourists area,and also the movie theaters and a very good supermarket

I cannot imagine foreign tourists or residents making Harbor a success - whatsoever. With the exception of the Chinese mass tourism - The new definition of success in Pattaya

To continue my quote about being wrong about Central ^ The only way this Harbor is going to make it 6 months is with millions of Bangkok and surrounding area Thais.

So hopefully it will not make it. Im looking for steps # 4 and # 5 in post 52 above to be replaced with I told you so.

Foreign tourists indeed won't make this mall succeed.

Foreign and Thai residents, more specifically those who have smaller children, will make this mall succeed as, how much variety of attractions and things to do Pattaya may offer, for children between 3 and 13 there's is still lots of untapped potential.

The ice skating ring, the trampoline area, the Kidzoona or what's its name, the games arcades and so on will attract the children and with them their parents who will have a bite to eat and do some shopping as well whilst being there.

Yeah, the Central Festival Pattaya beach naysayers seem to have gotten that one wrong. I think a handful were also predicting that it would physically collapse too. LOL.

Well geographically Central Festival has alot of advantages: On the beach, two incoming streams of traffic from distinct locations ,

in a tourists area,and also the movie theaters and a very good supermarket

I cannot imagine foreign tourists or residents making Harbor a success - whatsoever. With the exception of the Chinese mass tourism - The new definition of success in Pattaya

To continue my quote about being wrong about Central ^ The only way this Harbor is going to make it 6 months is with millions of Bangkok and surrounding area Thais.

So hopefully it will not make it. Im looking for steps # 4 and # 5 in post 52 above to be replaced with I told you so.

Foreign tourists indeed won't make this mall succeed.

Foreign and Thai residents, more specifically those who have smaller children, will make this mall succeed as, how much variety of attractions and things to do Pattaya may offer, for children between 3 and 13 there's is still lots of untapped potential.

The ice skating ring, the trampoline area, the Kidzoona or what's its name, the games arcades and so on will attract the children and with them their parents who will have a bite to eat and do some shopping as well whilst being there.

I feel bad for the kids having to play those horrible Thai video games..

When following your reasoning, then I wonder why harbor mall Laem Chabamg and Tukcom Chonburi are not doing so well with Thai people, however they are even easier to access for Bangkok people. You may have noticed that the majority of the visitors this weekend carried Bangkok license plates on their cars.

Then, Central is a completely different animal then Harbor mall.Take away the tourists in Central and leave only the Thai people in there and your views especially on weekdays will be completely different.

By the way, 8.30 PM is peak time for restaurants, so being cherry picking again to support your flawed arguments?

Last time I checked Central had about 12 operating hours every day. How many times you had to wait for a table at 3.30 PM on a Tuesday?

You see the shops full, and I see them way below capacity, but have your views anymore value than mine on this forum?

I think it was clear form the comments of the Chief Executive of the Central Group Tos Chirathiwat that actually things aren't going as expected, and I doubt his comments were a publicity stunt.

I have no idea about the success of Laem Chabang and Tukcom Chonburi. Have you been there? Where do you get your information?

Being close to Sukhumvit makes it easier access for Pattaya residents both Thai and expat, who live away from the center of town. Last time I looked Pattaya has a big population of Thai residents who are not poor and live in houses.biggrin.png

I'm not making "flawed arguments" as you call them. I'm observing Thais spending a lot of money in Central Mall everyday of the week and addressing your "flawed arguments" that Thai mall visitors are not spending or have no money to spend.

Your twisted agenda seems to be wanting malls in Pattaya to fail to justify your "flawed arguments".

Edited by tropo

I have no idea about the success of Laem Chabang and Tukcom Chonburi. Have you been there? Where do you get your information?

Being close to Sukhumvit makes it easier access for Pattaya residents both Thai and expat, who live away from the center of town. Last time I looked Pattaya has a big population of Thai residents who are not poor and live in houses.biggrin.png

I'm not making "flawed arguments" as you call them. I'm observing Thais spending a lot of money in Central Mall everyday of the week and addressing your "flawed arguments" that Thai mall visitors are not spending or have no money to spend.

Your twisted agenda seems to be wanting malls in Pattaya to fail to justify your "flawed arguments".

You can’t compare Central Festival to this place-it’s chalk and cheese. ermm.gif

At least Central Festival has an anchor tenant whereas shopping centres like this that don’t have are a more risky prospect and seem to have a less predictable performance. Time will tell as to how many of their shop units end up being permanently occupied.

Up in Chiang Mai there are two shopping centres I would put in this same category. “ Maya “ on Huay Kaew Road and “ Promenada “ which is quite a distance outside the city and is described as a " resort shopping centre " but again with no anchor tenant.

One of the things you noticed about both of these places in CM was that some tenants had obviously committed to taking space in these centres in the very early stages but after the official opening subsequently realised it might not have been a good decision on their part after all.

And so they had signs outside the vacant shops for months and months saying coming soon! Some of them are still coming soon even though one shopping centre opened in 2013.giggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

You can’t compare Central Festival to this place-it’s chalk and cheese.

Nobody is seriously comparing them. The question is whether Thais have enough money to spend in the new mall. Remember, when Siam Paragon opened, our TVF economists immediately hopped up and down and joyfully predicted bankruptcy, 'cause the very few Thais who have any money will only shop in Hong Kong and Singapore. We don't recognize any Thai middle class, perhaps from only associating with the poorest class.

The point is that Thais have enough money to spend in Central, and they are spending it, so they also have enough to spend in Harbor as well or instead of. More so, as Harbor isn't so upscale and appeals to a broader market of families w/ emphasis on entertainment & mostly cheaper restos. It's not going to cost that much to have a fun afternoon there w/ the kids.

At least Central Festival has an anchor tenant whereas shopping centres like this that don’t have are a more risky prospect and seem to have a less predictable performance. Time will tell as to how many of their shop units end up being permanently occupied.

But we've denied Harbor any such time, you see. It's already failed a TVF "my eyeballs at a random interval test!" Done & dusted, man. smile.png It'll be closing just any day now, everyone's lost his shirt, and we're happy.

Up in Chiang Mai there are two shopping centres I would put in this same category. “ Maya “ on Huay Kaew Road and “ Promenada “ which is quite a distance outside the city and is described as a " resort shopping centre " but again with no anchor tenant.

But comparing these to Harbor is chalk and cheese. Very different target markets & logistics.

Edited by JSixpack

My opinion they hit it out of the ballpark. Couple of floors for the kids. Shopping for the wife's and gf..macho stuff for the guys ..aka gym ...marital arts ? well thought out mall but of course teething pains...it will be very successful...

maybe so but if you're suggesting they have got so much money that it doesn't matter, they could have just built a temple for themselves which doesn't need to be air-conditioned

Well, just because one is well off doesn't mean it's time to start building temples.... that's one sure shortcut to the kiddie table at family events. The point is that there are levels and there are levels. Sure, large families have been known to fall, but it's not nearly as 'easy' as folks trying to get into business with 6 months rent saved up and hoping on a wing and a prayer that Noi's gambling habits don't consume too much of the profits. Not saying that's the norm in other circles either of course.

Some people on this forum travel further than the edges of Sukhumvit Pattaya, so yes Ive been many times to Tuckcom Chonburi and Harbor Laem Chabang as well to other malls of the group at other locations in Thailand.

Of course I am aware that there are many Thais living in Pattaya, though my experience is that the majority lives in 2000 Bht/month rooms, and another big part in cheap rented houses. I don't consider that as a qualification for big spenders.

Can you please explain how you observe Thais spending a lot of money at Central every day. Do you spend most of the day, every day at Central, observing customer behavior?

Do you check their wallets or receipts, and do you have several associates monitoring the hundreds of other shops, as I understand with so many shops on separate floors it can not be an easy task for a single observer.

By the way, you forgot to answer my question how many times you have to wait for a table at 3.30 PM on a Tuesday.

To conclude, even if Central is as successful as you claim, that doesn't guarantee anything for Harbor or any other mall in the area, because even in Thailand trees don't grow into heaven and people can only spend as much money as they earn. So opening an extra mall doesn't give them any extra spending power.

Some people on this forum travel further than the edges of Sukhumvit Pattaya, so yes Ive been many times to Tuckcom Chonburi and Harbor Laem Chabang as well to other malls of the group at other locations in Thailand.

Of course I am aware that there are many Thais living in Pattaya, though my experience is that the majority lives in 2000 Bht/month rooms, and another big part in cheap rented houses. I don't consider that as a qualification for big spenders.

Can you please explain how you observe Thais spending a lot of money at Central every day. Do you spend most of the day, every day at Central, observing customer behavior?

Do you check their wallets or receipts, and do you have several associates monitoring the hundreds of other shops, as I understand with so many shops on separate floors it can not be an easy task for a single observer.

By the way, you forgot to answer my question how many times you have to wait for a table at 3.30 PM on a Tuesday.

To conclude, even if Central is as successful as you claim, that doesn't guarantee anything for Harbor or any other mall in the area, because even in Thailand trees don't grow into heaven and people can only spend as much money as they earn. So opening an extra mall doesn't give them any extra spending power.

If I need some info on a shopping mall in Chonburi or Laem Chabang I'll be sure to look you up... but most of us wouldn't waste our time and don't care about those malls..

I'd consider myself a local expert on Central as I shop and eat there nearly everyday of the week, year round. How often do you go there? At many restaurants you'll need to wait for a table anytime you arrive between 6 pm and 9 pm, any day of the week... "can you please explain how you observe Thais" are NOT spending money there? "Do you spend most of the day, every day at Central, observing customer behavior"?... because if your conclusions hold more water than mine you'll have to be spending a lot of time there. I suspect you hardly ever go there.biggrin.png

Asking me twice about restaurant tables available at 3:30 pm is stupid. If a restaurant is full between 6 pm and 10 pm, that's a successful restaurant, period.

I've just been for my first visit of Harbor Mall. We dined there and shopped in the supermarket. This mall is heavily oriented to family restaurants. I predict it will be successful. I hope they open an undercover park area for motorcycles.

Edited by tropo