overstay record?

Mate normally i wouldny believe it either so i asked to see his passport.He overstayed 14 years.What i cant understand his he is spending 10k up a night on the piss and other activities lives in 142sqm fully furnished grade a condo in bangkok.I did say to him what is he up to he jist smiled.He is only 35 has been on overstay since 21 yrold

Just to clarify, when you asked to see his passport, he showed you his old passport that had his entry 14 years ago but that passport, I presume, is now expired. So when he exited and paid his fine and then re-entered he had a new passport and just keeps the old passport handy as a conversation piece?

The stamp from 14 years ago would have been transferred to the new passport prior to departure. The new passport would therefore show details of the overstay.

< snip >

A transfer indication in the new passport and the actual entry stamp in the old passport have not the same thing and are not the same conversation value as the guy seems to want to show-off.

Edited by JLCrab

should of black listed forever, total disrespect for visa laws and Thailand

Oh how holier than thou. Does it actually affect you what overstayers do? You do not pay their rent or bills so it should not affect you. Take a chill pill and relax. Why are so many so bitter on here to people? Must live a bloody horrible life.

Overstayers make it more difficult for everyone else--look at the law as it now being changed.

It's the same with all other laws/regulations against questionably criminal activities. For example, parking in a handicapped spot, or building your fence just over your property line, or making noise when others are sleeping, etc., ad infinitum.

And it does not have to involve laws or regulations, what about the friend who asks to stay at your place for just a couple of days and never leaves, the freeloader who eagerly accepts your round, but leaves before he buys one, etc., ad infinitum exponentiated.

It's simply another expression of a low-life git who disrespects all others; unfortunately, an attitude far too many people possess.

Yeah, who does it hurt?

Overstayers make it more difficult for everyone else--look at the law as it now being changed.

Only affects overstayers, not everyone else who doesn't overstay.

And the law hasn't been changed yet, it's still not confirmed. And people have been overstaying for decades.

It's the same with all other laws/regulations against questionably criminal activities. For example, parking in a handicapped spot, or building your fence just over your property line, or making noise when others are sleeping, etc., ad infinitum.

And it does not have to involve laws or regulations, what about the friend who asks to stay at your place for just a couple of days and never leaves, the freeloader who eagerly accepts your round, but leaves before he buys one, etc., ad infinitum exponentiated.

It's simply another expression of a low-life git who disrespects all others; unfortunately, an attitude far too many people possess.

Yeah, who does it hurt?

Weak analogy, all of those directly affect innocent parties.

A correct analogy for overstay is a parking ticket for parking too long in a non-handicapped spot on an long stretch of road that no one ever uses, and while you're out of the car buying lots of goods and services from local businesses.

Has no effect on other car users and only traffic wardens care.

• Like 2

Barring unforeseen circumstances, people who overstay are sloppy. If they are sloppy about their visas or extensions, there is a good chance they are sloppy about other things as well as indicated by the experience of the OP. I am too old to get myself into trouble here in Thailand through association with sloppy people. Therefore, while they may or may not have an effect on me or others, I prefer to avoid them.

BTW I buys goods and services here in Thailand but not LOTS of goods and services so I guess my presence here in Thailand doesn't have the same economic benefit to Thailand as someone on overstay.

Edited by JLCrab

And the law hasn't been changed yet, it's still not confirmed. And people have been overstaying for decades.

Yeah, who does it hurt?

A correct analogy for overstay is a parking ticket for parking too long in a non-handicapped spot on an long stretch of road that no one ever uses, and while you're out of the car buying lots of goods and services from local businesses.

Exactly.

Wish I had the energy to refute the circular reasoning afoot with all these guys complaining that overstay, not being a 'genuine tourist', etc, etc, somehow affects them in any way.

As said above, if you personally don't intend to overstay, etc, then how does an escalation of penalty affect you in any way?

Really, a scholarly study should focus on this particular aberrant thought process, as it is so patently ludicrous as to defy description (at least by me).

• Like 1

The discussion as to who is affected or not by persons overstaying their visa/extension may soon become moot as -- should the proposed overstay penalties go into effect -- few will be calculating that a 10-year overstay at 2000 baht per year (20K baht maximum fine) is preferential to all that visa/extension cost and rigmarole during the same 10 year stay.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-March-30274578.html

Yeah, who does it hurt?

Over-stayers do affect others; they disregard the rules and encourage the rule-makers to make it more difficult. It is not limited to over-staying; other rules will be tightened too.

Your parking analogy is just as misinformed and disrespectful of the laws—parking limits are placed on used roads, not unused ones, and I'll wager the legal parkers are also buying goods and services.

Of course, if you're better than the rules, feel free to skirt around them. You'll be caught.

American Muay Thai boxer Malik "Perfect Boy" Watson, arrested in 2010 for assault, arrested again by Immigration Police for overstaying his visa by 691 days. He was among 108 people, including a Russian fugitive, rounded up as part of a new Immigration Bureau crackdown.

Just today overstayers....so yeah lets allow and overlook them. Oh let them alone they arent bothering anybody. 5555

I meet a man in Savanaket last year that had just cleared 18 years of overstay. He was in his 70s and applied for and obtained a dependent visa as he had a Thai son that would take care of him (he did not have enough money to get a retirement visa). He didn't had enough money to get back to Thailand from the consulate (50 for the Tuk tuk and 50 for the bus) and had to borrow... he had been drinking all day waiting on the visa as this was while they had the same day service.

He didn't had enough money to get back to Thailand from the consulate (50 for the Tuk tuk and 50 for the bus) and had to borrow... he had been drinking all day ...

Yep - I know the type, from back in my home-country. Beer cans piled high, just got fired for not showing up for work, but asking me for a "loan" when I get home from my job.

He was an overstayer as well? You don't say. I would never have guessed. It is hard not to feel pity for these types - but their destructive life-pattern relies on the pity of the self-sufficient, preventing them from becoming responsible people.

• Like 1