Antidote for boredom

Xriz

just get a hobby that involves walking and physical excercise, simple

Except during hot season....too brutal to do too much especially if not already in decent shape...asking for heat stroke or heart attack

A young man would have to be incredibly unfit for the heat to be that bad a problem. Just wear a hat and drink lots of water. I was walking for over 4 hours in middle of the day when in Thailand on holidays, and I was in my 40s, not very fit.

Whatever, energy in has to be less or equal to energy out to maintain/ lose weight. If putting on weight, eat less or expend more energy- it's very simple. It's not necessary to do strenuous exercise, but just doing a little bit is pointless. If it were necessary to do strenuous exercise I'd be the size of a bus, and I'm not.

4 hours in the middle of the day at 35 celsius or higher ?...I'm afraid the heat has already affected your memory because I am calling BS on that right now.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ― Ellen Parr

One thing you might want to check out is the philosophy of Stoicism. There's a great book that explains it called A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy.

Except during hot season....too brutal to do too much especially if not already in decent shape...asking for heat stroke or heart attack

A young man would have to be incredibly unfit for the heat to be that bad a problem. Just wear a hat and drink lots of water. I was walking for over 4 hours in middle of the day when in Thailand on holidays, and I was in my 40s, not very fit.

Whatever, energy in has to be less or equal to energy out to maintain/ lose weight. If putting on weight, eat less or expend more energy- it's very simple. It's not necessary to do strenuous exercise, but just doing a little bit is pointless. If it were necessary to do strenuous exercise I'd be the size of a bus, and I'm not.

Just made do with a room fan. No air-conditioning. First three weeks in Thailand was very difficult with the heat. Wearing a hat, quick drying light clothing... drinking lots of water, sweating so much it looked like I jumped in a pool. . But after three or four weeks...sweating slowed down... felt a lot better.. got used to the heat.

It's called Acclimatization. The body adjusts to different climates and altitudes over time. Within reasonable parameters.

It got to the point that I could handle Thailand heat during the hottest part of the year... I felt the heat... but it no longer kept my from having fun.. .and I wasn't soaked in sweat anymore..

Just don't spoil yourself with air-conditioning..... your body will never adjust properly if you do that... My opinion anyways...

Edited by Catoni

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” ― Ellen Parr
One thing you might want to check out is the philosophy of Stoicism. There's a great book that explains it called A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy.

Stoicism is a great philosophy... several good books and studies on it. Marcus Aurelius's "Meditations" is a book I enjoy. I try to combine it with Theravada Buddhism to the extent that I am able...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

4 hours in the middle of the day at 35 celsius or higher ?...I'm afraid the heat has already affected your memory because I am calling BS on that right now.

If he has acclimatized to the tropical heat, wearing a hat, proper clothing for the tropics, drinking plenty of water...... why not 4 hour walk in the middle of day in 35C? I did the same... at higher heat... at the age of 61. If you are acclimatized, dressed properly for the heat and climate, drinking water... no reason you should not be able to.

For someone just arriving in county from a cooler climate.. and/or whose body is not acclimatized... of course not.

As I obviously don't know your home situation I could be advising wrong, but a possible solution available in LOS would be to have lots of sex. That always cheered me up if I was down. Certainly no shortage of willing participants in your "therapy", and it is good exercise and excellent for losing weight ( worked for me ).

He said before that he dont use prostitutes

Hmmmmm. Don't use prostitutes, stay fat, get diabetes, heart problems, die young, or, give it a try, and maybe slim down and stop being bored. I know what I'd do, but entirely over to the OP what he wants to do.

I'm not talking drug addled skank UK streetwalkers for a quickie behind the dumpster. I'm talking a drop dead gorgeous young lovely for a week or two on a great beach.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

If he has acclimatized to the tropical heat, wearing a hat, proper clothing for the tropics, drinking plenty of water...... why not 4 hour walk in the middle of day in 35C? I did the same... at higher heat... at the age of 61. If you are acclimatized, dressed properly for the heat and climate, drinking water... no reason you should not be able to.

For someone just arriving in county from a cooler climate.. and/or whose body is not acclimatized... of course not.

Thank you for your support. The only one talking BS is tonray. Obviously he goes around with his eyes shut so he can't see the Thais working outside in the middle of the day 555555555555.

After 2 years the OP should be acclimatised, and anyway he can go to Lumpini in the early morning when it's not too hot to do some walking.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I do a lot of gardening.

Good exercise and something to do every day.

I also spend a lot of time reading when it is too hot in the garden.

I also limit my drinking to no more than 2 beers after dinner when the work is all done.

The best exercise I do to keep in shape, besides the gardening, Is to place both hands on the edge of the table and push....myself away from the table before I eat too much!

Remember to eat enough to not be hungry, but not enough to feel full.

It works for me..and I am 62 and in pretty good shape....no belly anyway!

Edited by willyumiii

Don't know what that has to do with my question though...because everybody here has a beautiful gf.

You need to see an eye doktor! the gf's i see are downright un-attractive. And thats putting it kindly.........................hahahahaha.

On and off with the gf, not a really good relationship but she is really pretty so hard to let go, silly I know. Don't know what that has to do with my question though...because everybody here has a beautiful gf.

Been here most of the time since 2000's and never had Thai gf. Don't feel bored either. Daily routine (besides eating and sleeping) includes running, reading, cycling, and a lot of contemplating. Honestly, I think I would get extremely bored if I had Thai gf *, 555............................ oh and I have been "depressed" according to Western standards for the last 20+ years - 555 - because I don't conform, don't assign any value to career or possessions, don't want kids or emotional burdens, expect little from life, like to be on my own. I feel pretty good though ;-)

As for your weight thingy: eat and drink less, excercise more. It's really that simple. There is no other cure. If you're bored it means you have a lot of time so use it to burn calories. Tip: stop drinking sodas if you drink those. They make u pithless and fat. If u're even more dedicated: stop drinking alcohol too.

Drink water, liters of it ;-)

Goodluck!

* due to total lack of intellectual stimulation apart perhaps having her (INDIRECTLY) teaching me more Thai...

Edited by stickylies

Fat = low self esteem = not many girls.

It is really that simple, start to do training, start with pushups/crunches (5x10, everyday add 1 to the chain every day) and see if you can find more that fits yourself. Go to a gym, go to a muay thai camp. Many options available.

Eat less, start count calories or whatever, 1500kcal max per day.

6 months and you will look better, feel better.

It is really that simple, start to do training, start with pushups/crunches (5x10, everyday add 1 to the chain every day) and see if you can find more that fits yourself. Go to a gym, go to a muay thai camp. Many options available.

I doubt you have ever been clinically depressed to come up with that solution. Lack of motivation is the cause, and if he had motivation he wouldn't be starting this thread as he would be doing that sort of thing anyway.

I doubt you have ever been clinically depressed to come up with that solution. Lack of motivation is the cause, and if he had motivation he wouldn't be starting this thread as he would be doing that sort of thing anyway.

Well? Exactly, sport is good against depression. The lack of motivation is always a thing to over come but he is trying already and posted a thread to get some feedback.

Well? Exactly, sport is good against depression. The lack of motivation is always a thing to over come but he is trying already and posted a thread to get some feedback.

I've been depressed and overweight, and going out to do "sport" was not even a consideration. You have to have been clinically depressed to understand though.