Missing Kasetsart designated rector rescued from sea off Pranburi coast

webfact

Missing Kasetsart designated rector rescued from sea

211204-wpcf_728x409.jpg

HUA HIN: -- The designated rector of Kasesart University Dr Bodin Rasamithep who went missing during a jet ski crossing from Sattahip in the east coast to Hua Hin coast on Sunday was rescued safely at sea by a fishing boat this morning.

Dr Bodin was plucked from sea by the Sab-anant fishing boat after he shouted for help when the boat passed by while drifting 18 hours in the sea.

The skipper heard his shouts when the boat was 16 nautical miles off Pranburi coast in Prachuab Khiri Khan.

The skipper later alerted the Navy’s rescue centre which later sent a patrol boat to transfer him from the fishing boat to shore safely.

Dr Bodin was among 50 jet skis taking part in the crossing from Toey Ngam beach in Sattahip district of Chonburi.

They left at 9 am Sunday despite strong winds and high waves.

All but Dr Bodin arrived at Hua Hin beach at 1.00 pm yesterday.

A search and rescue operation was ordered immediately after he was reported missing Sunday afternoon.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/missing-kasetsart-designated-rector-rescued-from-sea

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-21

Lost-at-Sea University Rector Clings to Log 18 Hours
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14506816361450681696l.jpg
Bodin Ratsamithet after being brought ashore Monday morning in Pranburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN — Bodin Ratsamithet, 49, was in a 100-kilometer jet ski race on Sunday when he was swept away by strong waves.

Bodin, the rector-designate of Kasetsart University, said he clung to driftwood log in the sea for about 18 hours before being rescued by fisherman early this morning.

“While I was drifting in the sea, I found a log floating, so I held it for support and sometimes sat on it, but bamboo wood is slippery,” he said this morning.

Bodin was found at about 6:30am this morning by a fishing boat about 30 kilometers off shore. Bodin said he was racing across the Gulf of Thailand from Sattahip to Hua Hin when he was swept from the jet ski.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1450681636

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-21

How come the search party didn't find him? A search helicopter would have as he was not that far from the race area... Or perhaps there was no search helicopter...

It is extremely difficult to spot a lone individual floating at sea from the air. Also, they said there was high winds & seas which makes even more so. If there were whitecaps, you can pretty much kiss off seeing a head bobbing in the water.

I like it if high-ranking officials, whose main occupation by the nature of things is to polish office chairs with their rearside, once in a while take part in challenges such as this. We should give due credit. I am quite serious. Especially commendable in the developing world, as in their social fabric such a thing is done even less often.

Well done to the man for having the courage to attempt the race.

Well done to the fishing boat and rescue services for rescuing him

He could have just gone to the mall shopping for the weekend!

Surely he has been a good example to his students in that he has participated, albeit unsuccessfully, in a physically and mentally challenging activity.

Yes he probably could have been better prepared and better equipped but I, for one, like the spirit which inspired him to have a go.

He will have a story to tell for the rest of his life

LOST AT SEA
Kasetsart rector Bodin rescued after 20 hours lost at sea

WIMOL TABKONG,
APICHART HONGSAKUL
THE NATION

30275400-02_big.jpg

HUA HIN: -- Bodin was among a fleet of 50 competitors to ride jetskis from Toey Ngam Beach in Chon Buri's Sattahip district to Ao Khao Takiab in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district on Sunday morning when he went missing at sea.

His absence was noticed after the group arrived in Hua Hin at 1pm and a search launched immediately, but it had to be abandoned at around 11.45pm on Sunday due to poor visibility and strong winds and waves.

Bodin was found drifting 16 nautical miles off the coast by trawler captain Sompol Permchit and his crew at 6am yesterday. After being taken to shore by the Tor 230 patrol boat of the Naval Security Unit at Klai Kangwon Palace yesterday, Bodin shared his 20-hour ordeal at sea with the reporters.

He said strong winds and waves had knocked him off his jetski at around 11am on Sunday and nobody noticed he was gone due to the high waves. Unable to make his way back to shore as the jetski remained unreachable and eventually disappeared, he said he was kept afloat by the life jacket he wore.

"At night, while floating in the sea, I saw a helicopter fly past over my head, but its searchlight missed me by 100 metres. I later found some driftwood, so I hung on to it until I was rescued by the trawler," he said, adding he was thankful to all for ensuring his well-being.

His relatives later yesterday got a Bangkok Hospital helicopter to pick him up for another health check, even though doctors at Hua Hin Hospital had declared that he was fine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kasetsart-rector-Bodin-rescued-after-20-hours-lost-30275400.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-22

why were they all not fitted with PLB,s ( personal locator beacon ) beforehand, this obviously would have been the most sensible thing to do saving millions of baht in rescue ops..

then again ,its thailand coffee1.gif

PLBs have only become commonplace for recreational sporting events like this in recent years even in First World Countries.

But please don't let me stop you from knocking Thailand.

What would have been a far easier safety practice is a Buddy System.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived