Road-raging van driver accused of attacking Thai reporter with knife

webfact

Road-Raging Van Driver Accused of Attacking Reporter with Knife
Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14507666971450766723l.jpg
Photo of the van driver attempting to knife Thai PBS reporter Bancha Eiammeechai as provided by Bancha to the police.

AYUTTHAYA — A public van driver has been charged with attempted murder for allegedly chasing down a reporter who honked at him with a knife.

Police in Ayutthaya province filed charges today against the unidentified driver, who reportedly exited the van he was driving with a five-inch knife and pursued Thai PBS reporter Bancha Eiammeechai.

The altercation allegedly broke out after Bancha honked his horn at the van driver Monday as they passed over a bridge because he was swerving dangerously. According to Bancha, when the two vehicles got stuck in a traffic, the driver approached Bancha’s car menacingly, prompting him and his sister to flee the vehicle.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1450766697

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-22

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Total disgraceful behaviour from such a disciplined well trained van driver regarding dealing with members of the public must have been so distressing having someone honk the horn at you for swerving over the carriageway and it was not a foreigner but a Thai that was the perpetrator of such a nasty honk that he had to be punished with death if caught with a large knife designed for killing members of the public.

I guess his door locks didn't work ! Why flee the vehicle :)

Would you stay in the vehicle with a maniac coming towards you with a large knife. Do you think vehicle windows are indestructible?

Er, yes I would take being inside the vehicle as safer than getting out. Plus as soon as the traffic starts moving, Vvvvvroooooom...

How do you honk at someone with a knife ?

when you dont know how to punctuate your english correctly, and neither does the sub ed.

I guess sarcasm is lost on some !

Its a good observation, and well put, but I don't think drawing attention to a mistake with a rhetorical question is sarcasm,

and samsensam makes a good point about the sub-editor.

Interprovincial public vans in Thailand are notorious for their frequent accidents.
Road rage and threatening behavior occasionally make it into national news.

I try to avoid traveling with minivans.
Would estimate that more then 50% of them are not able to drive a car reasonable.
Driving too fast, no safety distance, changing lanes without turn signals, overtaking in the wrong lane,
cornering, ignoring traffic lights, etc.
Also many are overtired or incited with energy drinks or tablets.
Much of these are short fused, aggressive, unfriendly and well armed.
From everything that drives, swims or flies, these are the worst drivers.

At this time of year I think yaba usage of the van drivers goes way up. They get paid by the passenger load (hence the mostly maniac driving) and it is super busy this time of year.

One of the scariest van trips I ever took was going to Pattaya for NYE a few years back. I normally sleep on the way but not this time, he drove like he had a death wish!

When you add yaba into the mix it is no surprise that these things happen.

...'it wasn't a knife, Your Honor....it was an eclair....I swear'.... '....and I only did it because.....'.......

(...how many guys of 'like mentality' are on the road at any given time....)

(...how many have firearms.....60-80 million firearms estimated to be in Thailand...)

...a 'honk' is a warning....or an 'alert'.....(...people learn that in driving school)

....here....it is a death sentence.....

...same for other proper behavior....

....jungle law....

I guess his door locks didn't work ! Why flee the vehicle smile.png

Would you stay in the vehicle with a maniac coming towards you with a large knife. Do you think vehicle windows are indestructible?

Yes I would stay in my vehicle and record his tirade on whatever device I had at the time. If he got too violent I would also and use my car as a weapon.