HansBlinkers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good curry at Accha last week,Taj Mahal is also all right,but have

not been there for a year,New Delhi was good,but closed at moment i think,

Royal India ok,but lacking in hygiene,i thought. mostly make my own 2-3

times a week,at least i know what's going into the curry.

If you go to mealsonwheels4u web site they have a lot of Indian restaurants

listed,so you will be able to check what curries they make and prices,then

Google to see what kind of reviews they have,

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

IMHO Indian restaurants in CM are very poor and not a patch on a decent Indian in England.

The nearest curry to the British palate is 'Curry Nights'.It's not a restaurant but their curries are available in Rimping for 99 Baht (annoyingly they are 169 Baht in Bangkok, where I live. Their Chicken Vindaloo is the nearest to my curry house in London. They also do a good British- Chinese style curry that I like. The owner is a white Brit form Bradford who learned how to cook from Indians. The result is the best British Curry this side of Yorkshire!

IMHO Indian restaurants in CM are very poor and not a patch on a decent Indian in England.

This. Not one of them can compare with Nazim in Vientiane.

Never got fresh Indian food in CM, all pre-cooked and microwaved garbarge, unsold stuff from a day ago etc.

The nearest curry to the British palate is 'Curry Nights'.It's not a restaurant but their curries are available in Rimping for 99 Baht (annoyingly they are 169 Baht in Bangkok, where I live. Their Chicken Vindaloo is the nearest to my curry house in London. They also do a good British- Chinese style curry that I like. The owner is a white Brit form Bradford who learned how to cook from Indians. The result is the best British Curry this side of Yorkshire!

I take it Curry Nights is a brand name then (as opposed to an outlet / stall or whatever), presumably frozen containers in Rimping? Be chuffed if I could get a few for the freezer. Used to love the Chinese takeaway style curries with fried rice :)

I take it Curry Nights is a brand name then (as opposed to an outlet / stall or whatever), presumably frozen containers in Rimping? Be chuffed if I could get a few for the freezer. Used to love the Chinese takeaway style curries with fried rice smile.png

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that: Curry Nights is a brand name and their curries are to be found in the frozen section in most Rimpings. I agree 'Chinky Curry' (I know that's not PC nowadays so forgive me Chinese peeps), was an essential part of a Friday/Saturday night out in UK!!

Curry Nights Vindaloo as I said, is my favourites, but they also do a Tikka Masala, Bhuna, Rogan Josh, Butter Chicken and a few others. Their Nan breads are over priced at 49 Baht and 'Taj Mahal' which I suspect is a Thai owned brand, does better ones at 4 for 99 Baht. Another criticism is that they are a bit chicken heavy - it would be nice to try a beef or lamb dish for a change. I have never found an Indian restaurant in CM or in Bangkok or Pattaya for that matter, that beats Curry Nights! to complete your home-dining repast, go to Makro, Hang Dong Rd and get some decent Poppadoms from a brand called (I think) Mother Nature which is an Indian company. They also do a good garlic pickle.

Anantara Hotel (formerly known as the Chedi Hotel) has a wonderful Indian chef with Indian offerings on their menu. At today's Christmas buffet he was very much in attendance and I ended up enjoying more Indian food than the traditional western favorites for Christmas.

Of course, I don't know if it's the proper "UK-Indian" food or not.

I suspect the Brits have standards about Indian food like we American have about Mexican food. I lived in Texas for a decade and my idea of "Mexican food" isn't Mexican at all, but "Tex-Mex" and that's what I expect when I go to a "Mexican" restaurant. "Cal-Mex is a slightly different cuisine and real Mexican is totally different. I suspect it's the same with the British and Indian foood.

Most 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi - I worked with an Indian company and when the guys and girls came over to the uk they were disappointed with the food and couldn't understand why the Bangladeshi's were passing themselves off as Indian.

On the plus side they tried all the local restaurants, found the one that was closest to true Indian and then taught them their homemade dishes - the quality improved massively :)

I think pricing in CM is a result of the conflict with the guy who owns and sells the Sausage King curries. Both priced at 99 baht but Curry Nights is the bigger portion.

I like both but my preferred is freshly cooked. Hinlay is good for taste, price and ambience. Plus the owners are a really nice couple. The wife has a strong family connection to the late 19th/early 20th century teak company managers in the Wat Kate area. She's the granddaughter of William Blain. lots of stories if you ask.

Edited by Loaded

Most 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi - I worked with an Indian company and when the guys and girls came over to the uk they were disappointed with the food and couldn't understand why the Bangladeshi's were passing themselves off as Indian.

On the plus side they tried all the local restaurants, found the one that was closest to true Indian and then taught them their homemade dishes - the quality improved massively :)

Indian cuisines are regional, so Bangladeshis selling Bengali-style cuisine is perfectly normal.

I think pricing in CM is a result of the conflict with the guy who owns and sells the Sausage King curries. Both priced at 99 baht but Curry Nights is the bigger portion.

I like both but my preferred is freshly cooked. Hinlay is good for taste, price and ambience. Plus the owners are a really nice couple. The wife has a strong family connection to the late 19th/early 20th century teak company managers in the Wat Kate area. She's the granddaughter of William Blain. lots of stories if you ask.

I agree Hinlay Curry house is a great place to eat and reeks with atmosphere! Jack Bain was the very last of the teak loggers - he died about 2 or 3 years ago. The most famous logger being Louis Leonownes, son of Anna of 'The King and I' fame and one of the founders of the Gymkhana club.

As you say the pricing is as a result of that price war. Yesterday, SK's curries were 98 Baht, thus pointedly beating CN by 1 Baht! SK's curries are more Indian Indian rather than British Indian!

Edited by millwall_fan

Anantara Hotel (formerly known as the Chedi Hotel) has a wonderful Indian chef with Indian offerings on their menu. At today's Christmas buffet he was very much in attendance and I ended up enjoying more Indian food than the traditional western favorites for Christmas.

I suspect the Brits have standards about Indian food like we American have about Mexican food. I lived in Texas for a decade and my idea of "Mexican food" isn't Mexican at all, but "Tex-Mex" and that's what I expect when I go to a "Mexican" restaurant. "Cal-Mex is a slightly different cuisine and real Mexican is totally different. I suspect it's the same with the British and Indian foood.

Has their Indian chef been to Bradford though, Nancy?!

Your comparison is very apt: I've heard Americans making qualitative comments about Mexican food that I completely failed to understand! Mexican food is Burritos, Guacamole and Chilli con Carne, right?

I suspect the Brits have standards about Indian food ….

Indian food cooked for brit palates in the UK has no subtlety….it's godawful spicy, or has tonnes of cream and butter….

Food for drunks who won't notice.

Whole Earth, best of a bad bunch

You must not have been to the rest of the bunch to make

a post like that,they are just OK nothing like you would get

at a real Indian restaurant,also over priced.nice setting though.

regards Worgeordie

On the plus side they tried all the local restaurants, found the one that was closest to true Indian and then taught them their homemade dishes - the quality improved massively smile.png

Indian cuisines are regional, so Bangladeshis selling Bengali-style cuisine is perfectly normal.

Acca bills themselves as Fusion Indian, whatever that means as it's doesnt say fused with what cuisine and the dishes I had there seems pretty straightforward.

But interestingly according to them privately it's Pakistani and they only say Indian so people will eat there.

But being an American is seems more a fusion of Tex-Mex and American-Chinese to me tongue.png

Edited by junglechef