Best Indian resteraunt?

HansBlinkers

Obviously they mean what your favorite or the one you consider to be best.

Similar to people writing IMHO (in my honest opinion) as I assume if they are giving it w/o staying it's someone else's then it's theirs.

As for the honest part, well I never assume that!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy!

Ask or follow an Indian.

Likely they won't dine at a so-called "Indian" restaurant but if you don't mind traipsing about a dark alley or a couple of staircases you will find what you want.

There is a place across from Mong's Cycle shop that does exactly this.

there is also a place on Loi Kroh Soi 1that does a nice fare.

It's easy!

Ask or follow an Indian.

Likely they won't dine at a so-called "Indian" restaurant but if you don't mind traipsing about a dark alley or a couple of staircases you will find what you want.

There is a place across from Mong's Cycle shop that does exactly this.

there is also a place on Loi Kroh Soi 1that does a nice fare.

I followed an Indian, and ended up at a fabric shop, went down many a dark alley and up many staircases....no luck, Across from Mongs bicycle shop on Chang Moi road, "does exactly this" does what ?? No Indian restos there. yea Loi kroh has a place.... WaiLai, WaiPost?

Most 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi - I worked with an Indian company and when the guys and girls came over to the uk they were disappointed with the food and couldn't understand why the Bangladeshi's were passing themselves off as Indian.

On the plus side they tried all the local restaurants, found the one that was closest to true Indian and then taught them their homemade dishes - the quality improved massively :)

Yep agreed as a rule didn't eat Indian food in London. Boring and not v good quality Food.Found the exception in south east London where there was a Sri Lankan temple and their 2 restaurants and 1 self serve buffet style popped up to serve the temple goers VV GOOD FOOD at v v good prices. Oh and i`ve spent enuf time in India to know reasonable food. Oh b4 i forget back in the day mitcham and tooting had some decent ish Indian ones

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Similar to people writing IMHO (in my honest opinion) as I assume if they are giving it w/o staying it's someone else's then it's theirs.

imho means in my humble opinion.

IMHO Indian restaurants in CM are very poor and not a patch on a decent Indian in England.

You should try the Indian food at Annatara, not chesp but definatley the best in town

Mrs CM used to work there when it was Chedi, she won an award that allowed us to dine free of charge to the tune of THB 5,000. The food was OK/good but nothing more and the money spent went very quickly. For a similar amount I might elect to eat at Hinlay every day for two weeks but I doubt my digestion system could stand it. laugh.png

Edited by chiang mai

imho means in my humble opinion.

First entry in google search

What does IMHO stand for?

Your abbreviation search returned 10 meanings

showing only Slang/Internet Slang definitions (Show all)

Sort results: alphabetical | rank ?

Rank Abbr. Meaning IMHO In My Humble Opinion find2.gif IMHO In My Honest Opinion find2.gif IMHO Is My Hearing Aid on? find2.gif IMHO In My Holy Opinion find2.gif IMHO In My Hesitating Opinion find2.gif IMHO In My Highest Opinion find2.gif IMHO Is My Hair Ok? find2.gif IMHO I Might Have Ostriches find2.gif

The rankings which did not copy

humble opinion 5*, honest 4 1/2*, and continues 3, 2, 1,1, 0 and 0 for following options.

I think your just being a PIMA (if your such a expert in acronyms figure that one out tongue.png )

btw (which means "by the way" to me) I don't think someone whom is actually humble would ever say "in my humble opinion" as it sounds like a pretty pretentious statement.

Most 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi - I worked with an Indian company and when the guys and girls came over to the uk they were disappointed with the food and couldn't understand why the Bangladeshi's were passing themselves off as Indian.

On the plus side they tried all the local restaurants, found the one that was closest to true Indian and then taught them their homemade dishes - the quality improved massively :)

Yep agreed as a rule didn't eat Indian food in London. Boring and not v good quality Food.Found the exception in south east London where there was a Sri Lankan temple and their 2 restaurants and 1 self serve buffet style popped up to serve the temple goers VV GOOD FOOD at v v good prices. Oh and i`ve spent enuf time in India to know reasonable food. Oh b4 i forget back in the day mitcham and tooting had some decent ish Indian ones

What day was that? Saturday?

I've been there and it's not bad for Chiang Mai. I can honestly think you've either not been to many quality Indian restaurants if you consider this to be the best you've had. Either that, or you've been to a lot of very poor ones.

IMHO I would classify it as ok, and I've eaten a lot of indian and South Eastern asian meals in UK and Dubai where there are a lot of restaurants, as well as in India itself. Agree with poster earlier who said the food in India isn't the best. In my experience the quality varied greatly, we did get taken to a nice restaurant though whilst I was there but the cheap food was pretty awful and not upto the quality of cheap thai food you enjoy in Thailand.

What day was that? Saturday?
Bac in the day was referring to whether they were still there. And disagree about decent enough food in India its nearly always there ,you just had to look a little harder.

Of course, I don't know if it's the proper "UK-Indian" food or not.

I suspect the Brits have standards about Indian food ….

Indian food cooked for brit palates in the UK has no subtlety….it's godawful spicy, or has tonnes of cream and butter….

Food for drunks who won't notice.

rubbish I have had some great food in UK Indian restaurants almost as good as in India herself where I have been many, many times

PS Accha very good and basic

Edited by LannaGuy

Based on this thread I stopped in at LeSpice, which was an acceptable quick bite. I haven't ventured much into Indian food in Thailand beyond looking at menus. I'll check out some of the other places recommended here. Have had some top quality (pricey) meals in Bangkok, but will say that I've enjoyed the best Indian meals in England and in the States. Maybe my palate, such as it is, is just more adapted to the source ingredients in those countries.

To date, I've only seen menu items listed as "mutton" while a number of posters hererefer to "lamb". I would not willingly choose mutton, but young lamb is a different story. Is this distinction made locally or is it asking for too much?

To date, I've only seen menu items listed as "mutton" while a number of posters hererefer to "lamb". I would not willingly choose mutton, but young lamb is a different story. Is this distinction made locally or is it asking for too much?

The meat they call mutton here is sheep meat….those awful tubby animals whose meat tastes of the blubber they store all over their body.

The only mutton that is acceptable to me is young goat …. but it's pricey and not easy to obtain.

Jamaicans use goat in their curries too...it's a superb, lean and great tasting red meat.

The meat they call mutton here is sheep meat.those awful tubby animals whose meat tastes of the blubber they store all over their body.

The only mutton that is acceptable to me is young goat . but it's pricey and not easy to obtain.

Jamaicans use goat in their curries too...it's a superb, lean and great tasting red meat.

I can't remember ever seeing a sheep, or lamb in S. E Asia and I've been here 18 years. If a menu says "mutton" then it's "goat." And, usually if it says "lamb" it's also "goat".

The meat they call mutton here is sheep meat.those awful tubby animals whose meat tastes of the blubber they store all over their body.

The only mutton that is acceptable to me is young goat . but it's pricey and not easy to obtain.

I can't remember ever seeing a sheep, or lamb in S. E Asia and I've been here 18 years. If a menu says "mutton" then it's "goat." And, usually if it says "lamb" it's also "goat".

Plenty of sheep to be seen in Thailand, a flock of around 50 or so, just East of the Lampang/Tak highway at a farm.

Edited by chiang mai

Mutton cannot be goat meat. The restaurant may mislabel the meat to suit the needs of the diners, but mutton cannot be goat.

Goat meat is used in USA in some sausages from Texas and New Mexico but is labeled as 'chevon', a word chosen some decades ago to disguise the identity of goat meat.

I've butchered and eaten a few goats. Young ones better than old. Billy goat meat strong flavored.

• 2 weeks later...