ASEAN passport holders - have you managed to get the 6-month multiple entry visa for ASEAN and...

Singapore - My business partner got one. He is currently going through a divorce with a Thai and she didn't wanted to support his O visa application and sign the birth certificate of his Thai son who also holds also a Singapore passport as well.

His only option was to get the METV last month. He was often stopped at Swampy as he traveled every weekend to see his boy.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

Which ASEAN country are you from?

I tried to enquire about this METV from Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur recently too , the officer told me that Malaysians no need to apply for METV as it is unlimited entry for Malaysians for our normal 30 day Visa-exempt passport, like some kind of agreement between our countries. He said unless we get a warning from immigration in Thailand airport/land border, only then we come back n apply it, but he said very unlikely because the land border itself have so many Malaysians crossing daily, just imagine the magnitude amount of Malaysians if we want to apply. Furthermore, he said that application for METV for Malaysians are simple n FOC, just a 4x6 photo, passporf n form. No need bank statements or other requirements, only for Malaysians citizens though. But Other foreigners who apply in Malaysia must fulfill the requirements strictly and pay.

I have a Thai girlfriend n i fly to Don Mueang almost every month, each stay of avg 22 days. But pretty soon I Will get a Non-O visa soon though, then do the 1 year extension based on marriage. But no problem of entry for me, more than 8 times per year.

My opinion is to do your METV at home country n ask if got any special requirements fulfill. If not, just follow their instructions, probably you need a marriage cert or a form of document to prove that you are not working there illegally i think.

I tried to enquire about this METV from Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur recently too , the officer told me that Malaysians no need to apply for METV as it is unlimited entry for Malaysians for our normal 30 day Visa-exempt passport, like some kind of agreement between our countries. He said unless we get a warning from immigration in Thailand airport/land border, only then we come back n apply it, but he said very unlikely because the land border itself have so many Malaysians crossing daily, just imagine the magnitude amount of Malaysians if we want to apply. Furthermore, he said that application for METV for Malaysians are simple n FOC, just a 4x6 photo, passporf n form. No need bank statements or other requirements, only for Malaysians citizens though. But Other foreigners who apply in Malaysia must fulfill the requirements strictly and pay.

I have a Thai girlfriend n i fly to Don Mueang almost every month, each stay of avg 22 days. But pretty soon I Will get a Non-O visa soon though, then do the 1 year extension based on marriage. But no problem of entry for me, more than 8 times per year.

My opinion is to do your METV at home country n ask if got any special requirements fulfill. If not, just follow their instructions, probably you need a marriage cert or a form of document to prove that you are not working there illegally i think.

Thanks, jimborders.

I hold a Singapore passport.

I'm currently in Thailand on an 'O' visa - parent accompanying a non-Thai minor studying in a private institution. I no longer qualify for that when she turns 20 soon. I just spent the afternoon reading the requirements for the METV on the Thai consulate websites across ASEAN, including Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur. They state you either have to be a citizen or resident of that country to apply.

I don't have to nor want to travel every 30 or 60 days so I fail to see what advantage the METV offers over the 60-day SETV extendable by 30 days that's open to ASEAN... unless that's changed as well? I'm not old enough to qualify for the 'retirement' visa.

We've been here on and off since August 2014 and have seen the immigration rules do a complete flip flop. It's getting less and less enticing to stay. Because my child is in a private institution we've had to make the trek out to Chaeng Wattana every 90 days for the extension of temporary stay, something that completely caught us off-guard and did not plan for or she would not have applied to study here.

The marriage visa is probably the only visa worth having. (said in a withering tone) Nothing personal, of course. Great if you meet the criteria.

Edited by BigOm19
  • Like 1

It is just a matter of time before IO will stops you. My body and business partner came into Thailand for the past 5 1/2 years as I moved back to Thailand and we hold all company meetings in Thailand. He was warned several times by the IO at Don Muang that he visits his son and wife and they told him to get the correct visa.

The METV is not free of charge by the way.

• Like 1

Thanks, jimborders.

I'm currently in Thailand on an 'O' visa - parent accompanying a non-Thai minor studying in a private institution. I no longer qualify for that when she turns 20 soon. I just spent the afternoon reading the requirements for the METV on the Thai consulate websites across ASEAN, including Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur. They state you either have to be a citizen or resident of that country to apply.

I don't have to nor want to travel every 30 or 60 days so I fail to see what advantage the METV offers over the 60-day SETV extendable by 30 days that's open to ASEAN... unless that's changed as well? I'm not old enough to qualify for the 'retirement' visa.

We've been here on and off since August 2014 and have seen the immigration rules do a complete flip flop. It's getting less and less enticing to stay. Because my child is in a private institution we've had to make the trek out to Chaeng Wattana every 90 days for the extension of temporary stay, something that we did not foresee or she would not have applied to study here.

The marriage visa is probably the only visa worth having. (said in a withering tone) Nothing personal, of course. Great if you meet the criteria.

If you have a Thai wife you could apply a None-O-M that gives you a one year option to stay in Thailand or otherwise you need to go for an extension of stay with 400k in the account if you have a Thai wife.

Have you thought of setting up a company and get a work permit which would allow you to stay in Thailand.

"he said that application for METV for Malaysians are simple n FOC, just a 4x6 photo, passporf n form. No need bank statements or other requirements, only for Malaysians citizens though."

He lied.

Hi ,

I was quite doubtful when he said that too, maybe he just wanted to cut me off quickly?

By the way, out of curiosity, i checked the Thai Embassy KL website, do check out the Fee section, it says Gratis : Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore.. (Fees Exempted). Perhaps this was what he meant? Otherwise, what does the Gratis stand for?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

Edited by jimborders

Thanks, jimborders.

We've been here on and off since August 2014 and have seen the immigration rules do a complete flip flop. It's getting less and less enticing to stay. Because my child is in a private institution we've had to make the trek out to Chaeng Wattana every 90 days for the extension of temporary stay, something that completely caught us off-guard and did not plan for or she would not have applied to study here.

Hi, BigOm19. You are welcome.

I see. So, the only option for you now would be the SETV? , since it can be extendable? Do you think the METV is extendable too? Did you try calling Thai embassy in Singapore to ask about this?

As I see from the Thai Embassy KL website: (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html), there are a few things which I don't understand, they did not state how much minimum bank statement amount, they also did not mention how much Single/Multiple entry is valid for per entry.. etc. Then there is this Gratis, does that mean we apply for free (as told by the officer I met?), some said it is not free? confused.

Do you have the information about the SETV that's open to ASEAN as you mentioned? Can share a link?

Thanks

It is just a matter of time before IO will stops you. My body and business partner came into Thailand for the past 5 1/2 years as I moved back to Thailand and we hold all company meetings in Thailand. He was warned several times by the IO at Don Muang that he visits his son and wife and they told him to get the correct visa.

Hi, yes I agree someday they will stop me, which was why I enquired about the METV and trying to get the Non-O (Based on marriage) within these 3 months ready before I get stopped, thinking of it is quite scary.. I hope I don't get stopped on my next visit , fingers crossed.

By the way, are you on Non-O marriage too? Do I need the 400,000 Baht in THAI bank account or any home account with a Thai foreign currency / local equivalent value?

I'm still confused whether the METV is free or not. 1) The officer told me it is free , 2) Some people said it is not free , 3) I found this section (fee exemption for Malaysian Nationals) in the Thai Embassy KL website (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html)

Thanks, jimborders.

I see. So, the only option for you now would be the SETV? , since it can be extendable? Do you think the METV is extendable too? Did you try calling Thai embassy in Singapore to ask about this?

As I see from the Thai Embassy KL website: (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html), there are a few things which I don't understand, they did not state how much minimum bank statement amount, they also did not mention how much Single/Multiple entry is valid for per entry.. etc. Then there is this Gratis, does that mean we apply for free (as told by the officer I met?), some said it is not free? confused.

Do you have the information about the SETV that's open to ASEAN as you mentioned? Can share a link?

Thanks

Welcome to the Land of Visa Uncertainties.

Not to add to the confusion as my information is still based on rules that were in place before the new METV:

Thailand has a bilateral agreement with Singapore and maybe it's the same with other ASEAN members. The 30-day visitor stamp that you get at airport immigration is NOT a tourist visa.

You have to apply ahead for a tourist visa at a Thai consulate which gives you 60 days. The consulate in KL gives it to you on the same day if you submit first thing in the morning. I saw this in September when I was there applying for an 'O'. This is extendable by 30 days within Thailand. I don't know about that now. After which you have to leave the country to apply for a new tourist visa. This is what is "gratis", NOT the METV which is THB5,000 or whatever in local currency. The latter is what they are cracking down on. It used to be possible to get tourist visas back to back. We did such a visa run in March 2014 to Cambodia on tourist visas, ie. two tourist visas in a row giving us six months before we applied for our 'O' visas.

This is from the Thai consulate website in SG:

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/tourist-visa

I can't remember what I gave the Thai consulate in SG with regards to the bank statement when applying for a tourist visa (it was a single entry tourist visa except it was just called a tourist visa since the METV did not exist for ASEAN)... it may have been a six-month statement to show I had a regular income.

Thanks, jimborders.

Thanks

Welcome to the Land of Visa Uncertainties.

Not to add to the confusion as my information is still based on rules that were in place before the new METV:

Thailand has a bilateral agreement with Singapore and maybe it's the same with other ASEAN members. The 30-day visitor stamp that you get at airport immigration is NOT a tourist visa.

You have to apply ahead for a tourist visa at a Thai consulate which gives you 60 days. The consulate in KL gives it to you on the same day if you submit first thing in the morning. I saw this in September when I was there applying for an 'O'. This is extendable by 30 days within Thailand. I don't know about that now. After which you have to leave the country to apply for a new tourist visa. This is what is "gratis", NOT the METV which is THB5,000 or whatever in local currency. The latter is what they are cracking down on. It used to be possible to get tourist visas back to back. We did such a visa run in March 2014 to Cambodia on tourist visas, ie. two tourist visas in a row giving us six months before we applied for our 'O' visas.

This is from the Thai consulate website in SG:

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/tourist-visa

I can't remember what I gave the Thai consulate in SG with regards to the bank statement when applying for a tourist visa (it was a single entry tourist visa except it was just called a tourist visa since the METV did not exist for ASEAN)... it may have been a six-month statement to show I had a regular income.

For a SETV they would normally not ask for a bank statement but it is always advisable just to have a copy of the bank statement.

The Double and Triple Entries Tourist visa are no longer more issued.

Hi, yes I agree someday they will stop me, which was why I enquired about the METV and trying to get the Non-O (Based on marriage) within these 3 months ready before I get stopped, thinking of it is quite scary.. I hope I don't get stopped on my next visit , fingers crossed.

By the way, are you on Non-O marriage too? Do I need the 400,000 Baht in THAI bank account or any home account with a Thai foreign currency / local equivalent value?

I'm still confused whether the METV is free or not. 1) The officer told me it is free , 2) Some people said it is not free , 3) I found this section (fee exemption for Malaysian Nationals) in the Thai Embassy KL website (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html)

I am on None-O-M for one year as I have a Thai child. You do not need 400k in the account to get a None-O-M and Savannaket doesn't want financial proof. If you want to stay in Thailand without leaving every 90 days you would need 400k in the account.

As for the Visa fees the Thai Embassy in Singapore charged my buddy 250 S$ but I am not sure about Malaysia.

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand !!!!..... I am a UK passport holder so I can travel thru Europe no problem get a job etc...

I knew as soon as the ASEAN deal was set up that Thailand would never play ball.... You cant even come here and paint a picture and sell it. Not even make a penny whistle... Only Thais.

I saw on BBC World that ASEAN members wanting to work here in certain professions have to sit the Thai exam written in Thai....Why is this you might ask? Well I know. They are basically useless and corrupt so anyone coming from outside straight in wont have gone thru the pay to get you whare you want scheme they have here.

If you come to set up a company there is also the underlying current of local mafia that will drive you out if you are more successfull than them, there is many a westerner that has paid with his life on such schemes and ideas... being ASEAN wont help you in or out of LoS....

You should read up some more about ASEAN.

It is not about free movement for labor