Dengue fever

farang1979

Hello, been looking around on the web for two weeks about this so feel like i know the symptoms will enough already. I currently feel lethargic, still have an appetite though, and feel run down with a slight pressure at my temples and the need to stay in bed. Having looked at the symptoms for Dengue, the symptoms I see time and again are severe headaches and fever and joint ache. I don't have any of these however I am concerned as i read that Dengue can sometimes feel like flu. Anyone out there with some expertise or even better personal experience of Dengue that can help? Also when I use a thermometer to take my temperature, I think the highest reading I get is 35.6 Celsius which is strange as I thought it should be 37? Thanks

Edited by farang1979

If you have been ill enough for two weeks that you didn't want to leave your bed and still don't know what it is then you need to see a doctor.

And why the fixation on dengue? Listlessness and a headache could be symptoms of dozens of diseases.

Assuming you are in Bkk then go to a hospital like Bumrungrad, Samethivej, etc., where they are used to dealing with farangs, unless your Thai is very good. A couple of blood tests, maybe an xray, and they should be able to get to the bottom of it. Yes, it may cost but not getting treated in time could cost heckuva lot more.

If you have been ill enough for two weeks that you didn't want to leave your bed and still don't know what it is then you need to see a doctor.

And why the fixation on dengue? Listlessness and a headache could be symptoms of dozens of diseases.

Assuming you are in Bkk then go to a hospital like Bumrungrad, Samethivej, etc., where they are used to dealing with farangs, unless your Thai is very good. A couple of blood tests, maybe an xray, and they should be able to get to the bottom of it. Yes, it may cost but not getting treated in time could cost heckuva lot more.

I've actually just been reading about it for the past two weeks rather than being ill. Only been feeling unwell for the past two or three days. However I know it had an incubation period of 7-10 days too. Yes I'm in Bkk, just am keen to hear about some experiences with it as reading about it, people's stories often make it sounds like it's sudden and worsens quickly, however I know it can develop. Yes you're right, I think a trip to the doctor's tomorrow should answer any questions.

I have had it twice.

There is a reason they call it Broken Bone Fever.

Have the doctor prescribe you some sugar capsules and you should be feeling better in no time.

ClutchClark, sorry to hear that. How you're fully recovered. I did read someone said it felt like they had broken both their legs. Sounds awful.

Did either of your experiences start like mine at all?

I have had it twice.

There is a reason they call it Broken Bone Fever.

Have the doctor prescribe you some sugar capsules and you should be feeling better in no time.

ClutchClark, sorry to hear that. How you're fully recovered. I did read someone said it felt like they had broken both their legs. Sounds awful.

Did either of your experiences start like mine at all?

Hello friend.

I am fine now. Happened about 12 and 6 years ago respectively.

I would rather get shingles again than Dengue.

Trying to recall but may have started with a headache.

Fatigue definitely but a simple bloodtest can provide a quick and accurate diagnosis.

Good that you are making an appointment with the Doc.

Hello, been looking around on the web for two weeks about this so feel like i know the symptoms will enough already. I currently feel lethargic, still have an appetite though, and feel run down with a slight pressure at my temples and the need to stay in bed. Having looked at the symptoms for Dengue, the symptoms I see time and again are severe headaches and fever and joint ache. I don't have any of these however I am concerned as i read that Dengue can sometimes feel like flu. Anyone out there with some expertise or even better personal experience of Dengue that can help? Also when I use a thermometer to take my temperature, I think the highest reading I get is 35.6 Celsius which is strange as I thought it should be 37? Thanks

go see a doctor

I had dengue 2 times, verdict confirmed by the doctor.

Symptoms similar to the flu as you indicated but especially whenever a flagrant appetite loss leading to a significant weight loss within days.

If you do not know what problem it is likely that you suffer from another evil.

Check...

Symptoms similar to the flu as you indicated but especially whenever a flagrant appetite loss leading to a significant weight loss within days.

Check...

X2 on the significant weightloss!

OP, atleast you now have a diagnosis--hypertension--start going for morning walks in a local park.

Lumphini Park is excellent !!

That will work as well or better than pills and improve your overall health and attitude.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

So you have abnormally high blood pressure. That's probably because you spend weeks worrying about catching untreatable tropical illnesses.

You're in Thailand. Relax, kick back and have a beer.

True that probably didn't help! I'm sure the diazepam they have prescribed should relax me though.

Check...

X2 on the significant weightloss!

OP, atleast you now have a diagnosis--hypertension--start going for morning walks in a local park.

Lumphini Park is excellent !!

That will work as well or better than pills and improve your overall health and attitude.

Cheers

Yes we'll have to go check out Lumpini, it's a beautiful place. Have been to enquire at a gym tonight too. Yes they have given me some valium but don't wanna get dependent on pills.

Thai doctors love prescribing pills and Thais love to take pills ;-)

It took me a couple years to change my wife's habit of wanting a prescription for the most minor ailments.

Its wrapped around some concept that simple remedies like an aspirin are no longer powerful enough compared to a prescription....

Not all health clubs here are alike. If you can talk to Robblock about recommendations and fitness routines. Some of these personal trainers here have almost no knowledge or real training.

Good luck

Wasn't there a thai celebrity suffering from dengue a few months ago? I think he was 37. His organs started shutting down on him, not sure if he made it. Nasty disease!

That would be soap star Tridsadee “Por” Sahawong. He's still alive, in hospital. Lost one of his feet, and had a relapse last week. Still very sick.

Wasn't there a thai celebrity suffering from dengue a few months ago? I think he was 37. His organs started shutting down on him, not sure if he made it. Nasty disease!

That would be soap star Tridsadee Por Sahawong. He's still alive, in hospital. Lost one of his feet, and had a relapse last week. Still very sick.

He passed away some days ago i was told.

That would be soap star Tridsadee Por Sahawong. He's still alive, in hospital. Lost one of his feet, and had a relapse last week. Still very sick.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. There was a rumour that went around about 10 days ago that he was dead. However, it was incorrect. AFAIK he's still alive.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. There was a rumour that went around about 10 days ago that he was dead. However, it was incorrect. AFAIK he's still alive.

Unfortunately he just passed away Monday after 10 weeks in a coma. RIP.

He died yesterday.

He had haemorraghic dengue and became comatose 10 weeks ago.

During three months in Ramathibodi hospital, they amputated a foot, then took out a lung, but couldn't save him.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Big-hearted-actor-Por-dies-after-long-struggle-in--30277188.html

Had it once...

Had to wear multiple pairs of trousers, shirts and jackets to keep warm, and was still shivering cold, in 34C heat.

Problems with body temperature regulation as mentioned above. Also problems with hydration and on/off desire to eat. Body cramps and muscle fatigue from limbs locking in place for 1-2 days.

A very tiring few days. Doctors can detect if you have it, or not, in a blood sample.

Eat thin soup, drink isotonic drinks and sleep as much as possible.

Had it once...

Had to wear multiple pairs of trousers, shirts and jackets to keep warm, and was still shivering cold, in 34C heat.

Problems with body temperature regulation as mentioned above. Also problems with hydration and on/off desire to eat. Body cramps and muscle fatigue from limbs locking in place for 1-2 days.

A very tiring few days. Doctors can detect if you have it, or not, in a blood sample.

Eat thin soup, drink isotonic drinks and sleep as much as possible.

When I started showing symptoms a few years ago the rural clinic diagnosed me with an allergy and sent me home. 3-4 days upon feeling worse the doctor in the nearest town diagnosed me with a cold/flu so home I went again. Eventually when I had it really bad, throwing up, shakes, cold/hot fever etc, we went to hospital and the blood test revealed dengue fever.

So it's easily misdiagnosed too i think.

With a long rainy season and some spots of rain still about we need to remain vigilant against mosquitos. Even though the chances are rare that one carrying dengue will bite you, prevention is better than cure - - which dengue (quite unbelievably) hasn't got. Don't leave water unattended as that's where they tend to breed and buy some nice smelling mosquito repellent from Watsons.