Traffic fines reduced to 100 Baht as 'New Year gift'

webfact

Read the article it's for existing fines not new ones so how will that cause more deaths over new year.

Jump

Bandwagon

Thai bashing all spring to mind

No it's not Thai bashing, it's just a ridiculous idea..

The offender smiles..

Why not give their fine money to an orphanage or similar.

It's called an amnesty only the same thing as other police forces do throughout the world UK every year there is a knife and gun amnesty all this is to clear fines not a big deal old fines not new ones why is it so ridiculous? ????

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First few lines of article not hard to understand clearly for existing fines

Billed as a New Year gift to the public, Bangkok police commander Lt. Gen. Sanit Mahatavorn told Manager Online that the promotion is meant to clear a massive backlog of overdue fines.

Under Thai traffic laws, motorists are expected to pay fines within seven days, and driving licenses cannot be renewed unless all fines have been paid first. However, since there is no serious repercussion for overdue fines, many motorists simply chose not to pay the fines for months, if not years.

So how is this going to cause more deaths over new year prey tell me.

Thailand England (Minimums)

Driving at 120kmh = 200 THB Fine 3 Penalty Points and 5000 THB Fine and New drivers with 2 years of passing can be banned

No Seat Belt = 200 THB Fine 5000 THB Fine and can carry 2 penalty points

Jumping Red Light =200 THB Fine 3 Penalty Points and 5000 THB Fine and New drivers with 2 years of passing can be banned

Driving at 250 kmh = 200 THB Fine At least 1 year in prison and loss of licence or maybe even 9 years in prison if it is a police chase.

Maybe Thailand needs to look at what the rest of the world is doing regarding driving penalties if they really want to reduce the road related death rate.

hit-the-fan.gif

Lets talk minimum wages.

Thailand = Bt.37.50 per hour.

UK = Bt.347.00 per hour.

How much do you think the financial penalties should be jacked up in Thailand ?

I just wish they lower the fines for all of Thailand , all of the time. If I want ridiculous fines I would have stayed in the nanny-police-fleece states.

For a 100 B , I wouldn't used the stupid seat belts and speed on low trafic roads.

What a lame idea, it's like giving catre blanch to all drunks to go on drink and drive/ride...

I'm waiting for the amnesty announcements for all murderess, rapists and drug barons

out of jail... Gee, of all the nice gestures the government can do for it's people they come

up with this stupid and unnecessary idea....

I don't know if you read the article,but it said minor offences,eg.no seatbelt.Definitely not drunk driving.If your going to bash,at least get your facts right.

Edited by louse1953

So one day they state there getting tough on motorists to reduce fatalities this New Year and the next there saying there reducing fines for no helmet and no seat belt, these are the things that kill people. They should do what they do in Western Australia and have the fines doubled over the holiday period as a disincentive to disobey traffic rules.

Read it again buddy------ seat belts are NOT included in the amnestycoffee1.gif

You read it again.

So one day they state there getting tough on motorists to reduce fatalities this New Year and the next there saying there reducing fines for no helmet and no seat belt, these are the things that kill people. They should do what they do in Western Australia and have the fines doubled over the holiday period as a disincentive to disobey traffic rules.

Agree. And the PM wanting to jail drunk drivers. Sure sending mixed messages here.

I just wish they lower the fines for all of Thailand , all of the time. If I want ridiculous fines I would have stayed in the nanny-police-fleece states.

For a 100 B , I wouldn't used the stupid seat belts and speed on low trafic roads.

That just shows how immature you are.Wearing seatbelts and lowering speeds could save yours and others lives.Lower the fine=lower the IQ.

Wow, reward the lawbreakers.

How about law abiding citizens, what's their gift ?

Not to mention those who have paid their tickets on time.

They feel now punished twice.

As a bandwagon effect, i guess that next year the proportion punctually paid tickets will drop also.

It is precisely rewarded the group who break the traffic rules and ignore moreover the penalty laws.

This Christmas gift make so no sense.

It would be better if the penalty reduction would linked on the condition that the offender must watch also for one hour traffic horror accident photos.

Then the entire would have at least an traffic educative effect.

Edited by tomacht8

What a nice Christmas gift from the police. I spent 1 month in Thailand and am happy

to say that I never got checked or fined once. It was a nice holiday but on the 26th I must

return to Canada, land of snow and ice until April. In Calgary at least we do have Chinooks

to help keep the Winter to a warmer than other places Winter.

Good Bye and Good Luck to all those who get to spend all of the Winter here in LOS

That just shows how immature you are.Wearing seatbelts and lowering speeds could save yours and others lives.Lower the fine=lower the IQ.

Seatbelts are about personal freedom. If I want my head smashed on my windscreen , it is my descision.

I would have thought one way to clear the unpaid fines would be to say the fine is halved if paid within a week, but doubled or tripled if it remains unpaid. And offenders will be traced to their residence with property being seized if they don't have the money to pay. But then, I'm being logical. Silly me.coffee1.gif

How about reintroducing the sale of alcohol at gas-station shops as well!

Considering the state of driving in this country, making infringements less punitive is mind-numbing.

That's already illegal, a place that sell gas/petroleum is not allowed to sell alcohol as well, been like that for many years now

Google....'IRONY'

Seatbelts are about personal freedom. If I want my head smashed on my windscreen , it is my descision.

Until of course you do then it's up to everyone else to pay to scrape the brain bits (whoops sorry wrong word brain) grey matter of the road oh and to pay the compensation your loved ones would be looking for

Read it again buddy------ seat belts are NOT included in the amnestycoffee1.gif

...........Oh yes they are.........................

Such a project - following a previous innovation by the Metropolitan Police Area 3's Lam Pha Chi Police Station - would be applicable only to traffic offences punishable by a fine of less than Bt1,000.

These include offences such as not wearing a helmet, driving a damaged vehicle, failing to present a driver's licence and failing to wear a seatbelt.

Edited by SunsetT

How about reintroducing the sale of alcohol at gas-station shops as well!

Considering the state of driving in this country, making infringements less punitive is mind-numbing.

That's already illegal, a place that sell gas/petroleum is not allowed to sell alcohol as well, been like that for many years now

Jacko had his sarcasm button on. You missed it.

No, he's just retarded, you missed it?

How does this "gift" help with clearing already overdue unpaid fines ?

They should be tripling the fines to help these retards respect the road rules.

Don, Line one of your post.

Maybe my brain is not working this morning, but having read the article I'm still confused. Does it mean that if you already have an unpaid fine/s at the cop shop can you nip down and pay 100 baht to clear it/them? Or does it simply mean the flat rate is now 100 baht as a new year gift.? Or both of course.

Also, if - as the article suggests - the cops take your license and you can't get it back until you've paid, and you don't, what on earth have they been driving with since then?

What a nice Christmas gift from the police. I spent 1 month in Thailand and am happy

to say that I never got checked or fined once. It was a nice holiday but on the 26th I must

return to Canada, land of snow and ice until April. In Calgary at least we do have Chinooks

to help keep the Winter to a warmer than other places Winter.

Good Bye and Good Luck to all those who get to spend all of the Winter here in LOS

But Canada is the No1 country in the world on the list of places to live. Serious. A detailed survey which includes a list of factors has proven this. Always wanted to go. You stay here and I'll go over there.!

A seat belt saved my life. Try sharing your idea of 'personal freedom' with the distraught wife of a friend who agreed with you, and died.

Perhaps if Thais new the laws and where adequately tested when they got their license, then there maybe less fatalities and inconsiderate idiot drivers on the road.

Backk that up with a police force that knows what they are doing and things will change...

Obviously I don't know what I am talking about.... This is Thailand and its still the law of the jungle