U.s. Consulate In Chiang Mai

jomama

My wife and I have been going through one of the times where we have had to think about long-term planning. We decided we should apply for a U.S. visa for her in the event we want to head that way some time in the future; we know that it will take a long time and marriage visas must be applied for in the country where you were married (so our petition must be initiated in Thailand).

We began to poke around on websites, trying to find the correct visa category, what is needed and how to actually initiate the process.

I received some excellent info from Vinny, a Thai Visa member, and after looking things over, decided that a “non-immigrant spouse visa (K-3)” would be best for us. After attempting to make an appointment in Chiang Mai (my wife was handed an info sheet --- all about tourist visas -- by the Chiang Mai Consulate guard and then turned away), we were told we had do it online with the “visapoint” system, so we purchased the required 400 baht PIN number. Unfortunately, the K-3 visa is not listed as an option, so the visa point system was meaningless to us. My wife then talked to some Thai folks and they said to try the telephone PIN system, which costs 800 baht. For that you can make only three inquiries, so I thought it would be a good idea to know exactly what questions to ask, and for the first and only time in 15 years, decided I might actually seek some help from my local consulate; even though I know they do not issue such visas, I thought someone might be willing to give us a few pointers as we get started.

I took the morning off work (U.S. citizens can walk in on Tuesday and Thursday mornings only). We arrived, took our number, waited, and were called to the window after a time. The girl behind the thick glass told me through her microphone that “we don’t issue marriage visas in Chiang Mai.”

“Yes, I know,” I replied, “but I would like to talk to a consular official about how to get started.” She asked for my passport and told us to sit back down. We did, and after a time our number came back up.

We walked up to window 2. It took me some time to realize I had to speak into a microphone through the (no doubt bullet-proof) glass.

“We want some information on how to apply for a non-immigrant spouse visa,” I said to the consular guy, who rather scowled at us.

“First of all, there is no such thing as a non-immigrant spouse visa,” he said. “You have to apply for an immigrant spouse visa.”

(Having bored you enough, dear readers, I will not further compound it with the minutiae of what makes these visas different, but in real life, it is a big difference.)

I replied that I had seen a nonimmigrant spouse visa listed on a government website, and had been advised on Thaivisa dot com by a seemingly knowledgeable guy that there is such a thing.

“Whoever told you that is certainly not connected with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” the official gruffed at us. “JUST GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD – there is no such thing as a non-immigrant spouse visa!”

Seriously folks, this guy was getting worked up out of proportion to the issue at hand. He appeared p*ssed off indeed that someone dared to insist to speak to a consular official in person. We nodded numbly and said something like: “Ok,Ok…”

“And here’s your passport.” He shoved it through the (no doubt bullet-proof) pigeonhole in the window. “I don’t want to get in to it all. You need to talk to Bangkok about an immigrant spouse visa.”

All the time there was some Thai office guy standing behind the farang, clucking and tsk’ing in response to our incredible idiocy. This guy totally infuriated my wife (Thai on Thai thing, and she was livid).

We were quiet on the drive home, pondering our fate in the immigrant spouse domain. I did go back and check good old Thaivisa for Vinny’s post. Here it is:

US domicile is required for sponsors of an Immigrant visa for a Spouse (IR1 or CR1) of a U.S. Citizen. It may be better to initially apply for a Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3). After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case.

We then checked the link again to the U.S. State Dept. website and here’s the opening page for (you guessed it) non-immigrant spouse visa:

U.S.State Deptmart

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3)

What Is a K-3 Visa?

Spouses of U.S. citizens, and the spouse's children, can come to the United States on nonimmigrant visas (K-3 and K-4) and wait in the United States to complete the immigration process. Before a K-4 visa can be issued to a child, the parent must have a K-3 visa or be in K-3 status.

What Is a "Spouse"?

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife. Cohabiting partners do not qualify as spouses for immigration purposes. Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs. In cases of polygamy only the first spouse qualifies as a spouse for immigration.

<snip and etc.>

We then decided to bite the bullet and use the 800 baht telephone system. We called, and after an initial time of disappointing communication, I began to speak with a second operator who spoke clearly and knowledgably. She knew exactly what a non-immigrant spouse visa is – “Yes sir, that’s a K-3 or family member visa,” she said – and how to begin the paperwork (to the USCIS office in Bangkok).

“Where are you,” I asked at the end.

“Atlanta, sir. Do you have any more questions I can help you with?”

She was great, helpful, polite. Maybe our local consular official needs to be sent to Atlanta so she can bring him up to speed. Maybe then HE CAN GET THAT THROUGH HIS HEAD.

All in all, not a great first step in what promises to be a marathon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited experience at the Chiang Mai consulate was similar. Nice quiet, wood-panelled room. Four windows available, one actively manned by Thai lady. Five people in line with folders and such, I just wanted to ask about marriage paperwork. Waited over an hour, pushy me walked up to one window where there was a farang man seemingly just passing the time, and I politely as I could just asked what paperwork I needed for marriage to a Thai, brushed me off brusquely with rude "just wait your turn". That being said, after avoiding jail due to the aforementioned bullet-proof (and fist-proof) glass, I was helped by the quite knowledgeable and efficient Thai woman.

DD

I think that if you are living in Thailand you should focus on the CR-1 visa. Filing the I-130 petition with the USCIS office in Bangkok should speed thing up considerably, and she could get the visa within 2 or 3 months.

I think you are within your rights to send a short letter of complaint to the Consul General, who is a pretty reasonable person. There's no point going into any detail, but just report that you simply came seeking information and were treated very rudely by the consular staff, who didn't listen to you and ended up giving out wrong information. Perhaps suggest that they need training in customer service. And point out that the woman in Atlanta seemd to be highly trained, helpful, professional, polite.

It's no magic solution, but at least you will say your piece.

Like bureaucrats everywhere, most people who work in consulates understand their first duty to be to defend their own bureaucracy. Their jobs are cushy but boring, and they settle into a dismal routine of resentment. So they take it out on the people on the other side of the glass. I guess the reason that they don't adopt more of a customer-friendly attitude is that they don't have to compete with anyone--this isn't business. It's not like you can go to another country's consulate if you are not satisfied with your own.

Having said all this, I must report that when I took my Thai wife through the visa process at the Embassy in Bangkok about six years ago, we were treated very well. I think we ran through the whole process in about 2 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear the consular employees were so rude.

Bureaucracies almost always are sub-divided into tiny areas of expertise. Both in Bangkok and CMai, I've gotten spectacularly good service every time, from the section that handles American citizens' consular problems. Also, in Shanghai. ....But then, I'm retired civil service, and maybe I learned how to charm those fine employees.

I'm glad I don't have to use the other services, to help aliens with their American visas. They might not have been so friendly. But they should be.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you need additional information, nolo.com is an excellent resource. Their book 'Fiance & Marriage Visas' has an entire section on the K-3 NON-immigrant visa application process including forms on cdrom.

_ihop

Hi,

He lives to screw up all customers of the CM office. Sending you away to come back in the afternoon even when you are early in the que, If he finds one page you forgot to copy .... he won't tell you, just burying it and forgeting about it until you go and ask and God forbid you ask too early. When you do ask what is wrong that is keeping you at the office all day you will be standing behind someone else doing the same, because he does it every day to as many as he can.

I hope this makes you feel better, sorry I couldn't help with any specifics... just wanted to introduce you to .....

Cheers,

John Smith.

Edited by CM451

O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,

O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I love the fact that a 24year old decides that my fiancee can't come over as a tourist. Because she doesn't have enough reasons to return. You know, except for that family, house, car, steady job for 3 years, and being enrolled in Payap's International TEFL Master's program...

Hi,

He lives to screw up all customers of the CM office. Sending you away to come back in the afternoon even when you are early in the que, If he finds one page you forgot to copy .... he won't tell you, just burying it and forgeting about it until you go and ask and God forbid you ask too early. When you do ask what is wrong that is keeping you at the office all day you will be standing behind someone else doing the same, because he does it every day to as many as he can.

I hope this makes you feel better, sorry I couldn't help with any specifics... just wanted to introduce you to .....

Cheers,

John Smith.

Hire a lawyer. There are so many people applying for VISA's to the states that it takes a while. I had one friend who it took 9 months because he had to resubmit due to errors. Another friend hired a lawyer in SF and got his fiance a visa in 4 months.... A good lawyer is worth the fee.

Hi,

Cheers,

John Smith.

Hire a lawyer. There are so many people applying for VISA's to the states that it takes a while. I had one friend who it took 9 months because he had to resubmit due to errors. Another friend hired a lawyer in SF and got his fiance a visa in 4 months.... A good lawyer is worth the fee.

the other alternative is not to go to america. the world is huge with many other countries. :o

I am sorry to report that all of the crap that everyone has been telling you is a bunch of bull.

First of all, when you apply for a non immagrant visa or whatever it is for your spouse from the Us there are regulated things you need to do. I do not want to hear about the bull you had at the Consulate in Cm. They can do nothing and have never done nothing. It has always been Bangkok and whatever you say or whatever someone tells you is not true.

Check out the Us websites. It is clear and easy to follow the directions.

Do everything they ask in every order.

I love the fact that a 24year old decides that my fiancee can't come over as a tourist. Because she doesn't have enough reasons to return. You know, except for that family, house, car, steady job for 3 years, and being enrolled in Payap's International TEFL Master's program...

The first time my fiancee applied for a single entry visa, it was approved without a problem. Second time, with the same information is was denied by that cocky a$$hole who misunderstood my fiancee's situation because he didn't bother to look at the detail. When I explained it to him, he said I could reapply, with the 4,000 baht fee of course. I wove a tapestry of explatives and thought I was going to get arrested.

It would be a blessing if that idiot gets hit buy a bus. He's got no business doing that job.

Edited by JXXXL

I do not want to hear about the bull you had at the Consulate in Cm. They can do nothing and have never done nothing. It has always been Bangkok .

have to disagree with you. they do organise 4th of july, halloween, thanksgiving etc etc parties quite successfully :D:D:D:D:o . they also block streets around their consulate quite effectively although its public property. can't count the number of times i have been de-toured around the consulate cause the digging just don't stop.

also from what i hear, they have also performed the task of getting all people off the rimping condo when hillary clinton came around several years ago. amazing!

they don't do anything there at the consulate? correction: they do! :D

I do not want to hear about the bull you had at the Consulate in Cm. They can do nothing and have never done nothing. It has always been Bangkok .

have to disagree with you. they do organise 4th of july, halloween, thanksgiving etc etc parties quite successfully ... they also block streets around their consulate quite effectively although its public property.

You call those parties successful?

But I have seen the car from the consul general successfully park illegally and the the Greart Emminence itself emerge, scanning for threats while being bustled into a restaurant -- mostly fearful someone might ask them what it is they actually DO, and they might have to try to guess at a plausible answer without the security of their (no doubt bullet-proof) glass barriers.

Thats nothing wait til you go for the interview!

I had this lady who was steamed i was marrying a 19 y/o TG, more like jealous i think

as she waddled off back to her donuts

And how old are you sir? If you are over 50 you are a lucky bastard.

I'm over 50 and if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.... :o

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Anybody recall a negative article that was written a few years back by some woman who was posted at the US consulate in Chiang Mai? She hated it. Chiang Mai was a real hardship posting for her. She made it sound as though she'd been assigned to Chad or Rwanda and couldn't wait to get back to somewhere civilized, like Washington. My memory is a little hazy but one thing I seem to recall her ranting about is guys seeking visas for their girlfriends/fiancees/wives.

Anyway, if somebody remembers where this article can be found please post that info. It offered an informative look at the mindset of the type of person you are dealing with at these offices.

Please, aren't we confusing two separate departments at the consulate, and at the embassy back in BKK? The folks who decide about granting your girlfriend a visa to the USA are in one part of the building. The folks I'll see tomorrow, to get services as a US citizen, have been wonderful. They helped me apply for SS, issued me a new passport, gave me tax booklets, notarized my pension income statement, etc. But if I try to get a visa for my boyfriend to come to Texas, I expect I'll meet lots of resistance. Different issue.

Also, I thought the Mexican food at the 2005 Fourth of July party was okay, but I didn't write home to south Texas about it. :o

have to disagree with you. they do organise 4th of july, halloween, thanksgiving etc etc parties quite successfully

I heard some of the “singing” from the 4th July party this year whilst having a beer in the Bear’s Den. It was the WORST noise I’ve ever heard – please please can the organisers ban the singers next year and play some CDs instead.

Enjoyable fireworks around 8ish so overall it was worth hanging around even with your fingers in your ears!

Anybody recall a negative article that was written a few years back by some woman who was posted at the US consulate in Chiang Mai? She hated it. Chiang Mai was a real hardship posting for her. She made it sound as though she'd been assigned to Chad or Rwanda and couldn't wait to get back to somewhere civilized, like Washington. My memory is a little hazy but one thing I seem to recall her ranting about is guys seeking visas for their girlfriends/fiancees/wives.

Anyway, if somebody remembers where this article can be found please post that info. It offered an informative look at the mindset of the type of person you are dealing with at these offices.

Ovenman, I think I read the article, too. It was in the form of a letter to others coming in after her. Can't remember her name, but I recognized her attitude.. Believe it was in a 'government website' that I found during a search... Sorry, that's about it...

Ovenman, I think I read the article, too. It was in the form of a letter to others coming in after her. Can't remember her name, but I recognized her attitude.. Believe it was in a 'government website' that I found during a search... Sorry, that's about it...

Now that you've jogged my memory, that sounds correct. I believe I stumbled upon this item because a post in some other forum referenced it. This was a little while back, may even pre-date the advent of TV.com.

Now that you've jogged my memory, that sounds correct. I believe I stumbled upon this item because a post in some other forum referenced it. This was a little while back, may even pre-date the advent of TV.com.

Don't think it is that old, because she was still here 4 years ago, so I think it was about 3 years ago, ovenman