Police withhold key witness’s statement about Brit's deadly tuk-tuk ride

webfact

Police withhold key witness’s statement about Brit's deadly tuk-tuk ride
Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg
Col Pattanachak said that officials have yet to rule the death as a murder, accident or result of reckless driving. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Police declined to reveal any information procured from the statement of the sole witness to a British woman’s death after she fell from the back of a tuk-tuk in Phuket.

“We have yet to rule the death a murder, accident, result of reckless driving or anything else at this point,” said Kamala Police Superintendent ML Pattanachak Jakkapan. “We have questioned the witness, who I will only name as ‘Paul’. Additionally, we have conducted a blood-alcohol level test on the tuk-tuk driver. The test came back negative – he was not driving under the influence.”

Though Col Pattanachak declined to reveal the statement made by Paul, he did confirm that there were no scrapes or other signs of struggle on his body.

Elizabeth Corrigan, 29, was allegedly inebriated as she and Paul made their way from Soi Bangla in Patong to their hotel in Surin at about 3:30am on Sunday.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-withhold-key-witnesss-statement-Brits-deadly/62703?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-23

So, why haven't any of the english newpapers/blog track down "Paul" and interviewed him... Oh wait, they never do. Piss poor newspapers/blog. We all know, assuming "Paul" is hard to find, a few baht, in the hands of a copper, will get you all the info you want.

3 days ago:

"The accident occurred at the curve ... and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident."

http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-woman-falls-off-moving-tuk-tuk-in-kamala-dies-after-late-night-in-patong-55494.php

Today:

“We have yet to rule the death a murder, accident, or result of reckless driving or anything else at this point,” said Kamala Police Superintendent ML Pattanachak Jakkapan.

“The driver said he was only going about 40km/hr as he ascended a hill between Patong and Kamala, when she fell."

Interesting the word "curve" has disappeared...

"Police declined to reveal any information procured from the statement of the sole witness to a British woman’s death."

Why? Doesn't jibe with the driver's account? wai2.gif

I would be interested to know what you have to do to be considered guilty of “reckless driving” in Thailand.

I drive here every day and 80% of motorbike riders and about 60 or 70% of car drivers are guilty of recklessness.

Most of it would be considered borderline insanity in any normal country.

I would be interested to know what you have to do to be considered guilty of “reckless driving” in Thailand.

I drive here every day and 80% of motorbike riders and about 60 or 70% of car drivers are guilty of recklessness.

There you go you had to inject the word normal just when I was beginning to accept the status quo. You even have me thinking your last statement is correct too.

So actually they have 3 witnesses,the Tuk Tuk driver ,his wife, and Paul,

surely they can come to a conclusion ,I see they have not,included suicide,

one of the main causes of death according to the police,who like to close

cases quickly.

So did she jump,was pushed or fell,we may never know.

regards worgeordie

"There you go you had to inject the word normal just when I was beginning to accept the status quo. You even have me thinking your last statement is correct too. "

Sorry, but even after all these years in Thailand I still find myself wanting to speak the truth. It's sad I know. Perhaps I need some sort of attitude adjustment..........

"The accident occurred at the curve ... and based on testimony from the tuk tuk driver and his wife, police believe that the incident was an accident."

http://www.thephuket...atong-55494.php"

The wife ? Where was she sitting ? The tuk tuk that I've seen only have one seat for the driver so the wife was sitting where ? My thoughts wonder if the wife and the drunk Brit had a problem sitting together at 40 KM per hour rounding a curve going downhill at 3:30 AM

Edited by IAMHERE

http://www.thephuket...atong-55494.php"

The wife ? Where was she sitting ? The tuk tuk that I've seen only have one seat for the driver so the wife was sitting where ? My thoughts wonder if the wife and the drunk Brit had a problem sitting together at 40 KM per hour rounding a curve going downhill at 3:30 AM

This isnt a 3 wheeled tuk tuk. Its a modified Daihatsu hijet with 2 seat in the front and 4 wheels.

Thai drivers (at least most of the men) are the very definition of Reckless driving, why even mention it, it's the norm here in Thailand. Aside from that I have a feeling it may have been the passenger at fault in this particular case.

...sounds like they want to reconstruct the tuk-tuk driver's statement....

...to make sure that he comes out blameless.....

...God knows how they are treating 'Paul' or what they have said or suggested to him...

...he should get some legal representation for his...and the victim's sake....

...or at least involve some impartial...non-Thai party....

cases quickly.

regards worgeordie

She was'nt pushed as she was alone in the back. She was probably playing "silly buggers" as she was pissed .

There are two things I do know (i) I have never seen a tuk tuk driver driving less than at 40km or less. (ii) Tuk tuk drivers don't have to be drunk to drive like recklessly.

The blood alcohol came back okay, but booze isn't the stimulant of choice among drivers working long hours.

cases quickly.

regards worgeordie

She was'nt pushed as she was alone in the back. She was probably playing "silly buggers" as she was pissed .

If you are going to speculate it behooves you to consider other possibilities, to wit.;

• she may have been ill and leaned out to puke so as not to soil the tuk-tuk
  • she may have nodded off, which would have made her vulnerable to tumbling out of a tuk-tuk.
  • she may have rebuffed advances by a twisted driver trying to take her somewhere she didn't wish to go

Every bit of this entire event is just speculation on the part of TVF Investigators.

The tuk-tuk drivers story means nothing.

Paul's story means nothing.

The only thing that would help determine what happened is evidence at the scene or a witness to come forth.

A few posters have previously informed me that the police do not have great skill in collecting evidence and no witnesses have come forward so the reason behind this woman's death will never be known except to the driver and Paul.

"There you go you had to inject the word normal just when I was beginning to accept the status quo. You even have me thinking your last statement is correct too. "

Sorry, but even after all these years in Thailand I still find myself wanting to speak the truth. It's sad I know. Perhaps I need some sort of attitude adjustment..........

Given a few of the other posts I think there are quite a few that are in the line in front of you. whistling.gif

Every bit of this entire event is just speculation on the part of TVF Investigators.

The only thing that would help determine what happened is evidence at the scene or a witness to come forth.

A few posters have previously informed me that the police do not have great skill in collecting evidence and no witnesses have come forward so the reason behind this woman's death will never be known except to the driver and Paul.

Agree with the first sentence but have to disagree with the next two. Regardless of the association, implied or other wise, of the driver, his wife orthe deceased's partner, they are witnesses to the incident and if the police a compentent, they take statements and look for evidence at the scene, look for other witnesses, there may be, there may not be, given the time, 3.30am, and then correlate all the evidence obtained, hopefully from which they may reach a genuine conclusion. But given past incidents, you last sentence may well ring true.

Agree with the first sentence but have to disagree with the next two. Regardless of the association, implied or other wise, of the driver, his wife orthe deceased's partner, they are witnesses to the incident and if the police a compentent, they take statements and look for evidence at the scene, look for other witnesses, there may be, there may not be, given the time, 3.30am, and then correlate all the evidence obtained, hopefully from which they may reach a genuine conclusion. But given past incidents, you last sentence may well ring true.

I think you just said what I said but in a different way ;-)

cases quickly.

regards worgeordie

If you are going to speculate it behooves you to consider other possibilities, to wit.;

• she may have nodded off, which would have made her vulnerable to tumbling out of a tuk-tuk.
  • she may have rebuffed advances by a twisted driver trying to take her somewhere she didn't wish to go

Tuk tuk is traveling along at fairly fast speed and starts to negotiate the bend, whilst hitting a bump in the road she accidentally has a loss of balance and topples out .....

this is the conclusion.

cases quickly.

regards worgeordie

Tuk tuk is traveling along at fairly fast speed and starts to negotiate the bend, whilst hitting a bump in the road she accidentally has a loss of balance and topples out .....

this is the conclusion.

But we will never know.

I think you just said what I said but in a different way ;-)

No quite, you indicated that what the driver and Paul said means nothing, unless I am having a comprehension problem this morning and have misunderstood. What they had to say has relevance to the incident, unless Paul was totally out of it. Other than that, I agree.

cases quickly.

regards worgeordie

this is the conclusion.

It is good to see that the lead TVF investigator has been able to reach a conclusion without any factual evidence. Thanks, we can all rest easy now.coffee1.gif