Do you miss snow at Christmas?

Mr Moo

Don't miss the snow at Xmas. Even worse...I don't miss Xmas at all.

Thanks for the link. Quite original. My address ended up in the Wat, but so what.

Hugocnx,

I'm from the UK so I do miss snow, I am currently in Brazil and summer started yesterday so no snow here (38 C today) and back home in Sakon Nakhon we don't get snow either.

I just thought it was a nice touch to pass around.

All the best

Jerry

Don't miss the snow at Xmas. Even worse...I don't miss Xmas at all.

Thanks for the link. Quite original. My address ended up in the Wat, but so what.

Hugocnx,

I'm from the UK so I do miss snow, I am currently in Brazil and summer started yesterday so no snow here (38 C today) and back home in Sakon Nakhon we don't get snow either.

I just thought it was a nice touch to pass around.

All the best

Jerry

Widespread snow is rarely experienced at Christmas in the UK .

Lived in Calif where it was a 3 hour drive to the snow in Tahoe when you wanted it....That's the easiest fun way.....

Also lived in the Sierras east of Tahoe for about 10 years....Had snowmobiles along with all the other toys (having horses in snowy winters is a another story though).....If in your 30's like I was seasonal snow was fun - you could go get your tree in the forest (permit) and have a fresh tree.....BBQing on a nice warm porch watching and listening to the snow fall.......

The people there would do it up right for Christmas & and it was a great place to celebrate → great hardy, friendly spirited people there.....

Now → I've changed & in my 60's bringing/falling→hauling→splitting 6 cords of wood for winter (had a furnace too but liked the wood heat & the fun that came with bringing it in) + fetching/stocking a barn with 150# alfalfa bales isn't my idea of fun anymore ....

That area taught me a lot = 99% good.....

Paradise lost up there now too since they built 3 of the biggest prisons in the US.....What once was bright & beautiful up there has been left behind....

Don't miss spinning on black ice....Snow whiteouts that made a 5 hour drive a 14 hour drive....Snow so high some had walk up it to the 2nd story & the post office spray painted the numbers on the snow bank outside the houses.....Making sure to be stocked up on grain to feed the starving deer that came down off the mountains (can't give alfalfa - they'll starve to death with their stomachs full).....Perilous driving.....First thing in the morning trudging down to break the ice in the horses drinking troughs & feed them/maintain them....Walking/sliding/slipping on ice patches.....

But like thinking about it now - thanks for the memories.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I suppose snow would be nice if it just arrived on Christmas day (as in some movies) and then melted away soon after. Yes, that's just fantasy and the reality is all too apparent when going to work at 5 a/m. and the car sliding all the way. Haven't been in that position for over 20 years but I'd like to ask another related question...which do we find easier? Getting warm round a fire (or with central heating) in a cold climate or getting cooler in a hot climate? Ha!

Right now most of the northern US is experiencing warm, snow-less days, but typically where I come from around this time of the year it could look like this. Don't miss it. After decades in Africa, the Middle East and Thailand, the few times I've visited the Chicago area in winter, the continuous gray skies, freezing temps and snow & ice felt life-threatening.

2011-02-02-Picture13.png

Right now most of the northern US is experiencing warm, snow-less days, but typically where I come from around this time of the year it could look like this. Don't miss it. After decades in Africa, the Middle East and Thailand, the few times I've visited the Chicago area in winter, the continuous gray skies, freezing temps and snow & ice felt life-threatening.

2011-02-02-Picture13.png

Sucks to live in Buffalo. That's the only place in America that looks like that photo.

Large parts of America don't look like that, 555

Many Rich people in America live in California, Arizona, Florida and Hawaii.

Sucks to be in a country that has little to no variation in climate, doesn't it?

Coming from Canada I don't miss the snow or the -40 C weather that goes with that. From time to time I do miss the Northern Lights though.

Yeah,when the snow plough pushes all that nice fluffy snow into a 4 foot high bank, it freezes up to an ice wall that you have to chisel through to get your car out in -40 temperature. Ah, Winnipeg, how I miss you....not!

Sure for one day and it went away, why not. Last year was great for me. I saw one small storm with about 15 cm of snow at the end of November then left for Thailand. Then it started to snow in January. It snowed and snowed and snowed. Total was 275cm or 108 inches in the city proper of Boston. Got back in mid April and it was still on the ground but no more accumulation.Made my first songkran that much sweeter!

Nope...not at all....However I do like watching all the internet videos showing all the people digging their way out of the snow and struggling to cope with the snow and the related harsh winter conditions that I also used to cope with and struggle with long ago in a winter world ....far, far away.

I am feeling for them while I am so glad I am comfortably far removed from any of that "snow stuff" that I personally have an acute aversion to...lol

Cheers