Hyatt warns of malware on its payment-processing system

Jonathan Fairfield

Hyatt warns of malware on its payment-processing system
BRANDON BAILEY, AP Technology Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Hyatt Hotels Corp. says it found malicious software on the computer system that processes customer payments, raising the possibility that hackers may have obtained credit card numbers or other sensitive information.

The resort chain is advising customers to review their payment card statements, although it has not said if any customer data was stolen. Hyatt spokeswoman Stephanie Sheppard said in an email that the malware was discovered Nov. 30, but she didn't say why the company waited three weeks to report the discovery on Wednesday.

Hyatt is the latest of several major hotel chains to report this year that hackers had attacked their computers. The Hilton, Starwood, Mandarin Oriental and Trump Collection chains have previously acknowledged finding malware in their payment systems. While some of the companies have not disclosed details, Starwood acknowledged last month that the malware enabled "unauthorized parties to access payment card data" for some of its customers.

At the Hyatt chain, Sheppard told The Associated Press, "the investigation is ongoing, and we'll have more information once it is complete."

Hyatt also said it has hired outside experts to help investigate the malware, and has taken steps to increase security on its computer systems.

The Chicago-based company owns, manages or franchises a portfolio of 627 properties in 52 countries. Sheppard said the malware was found on computers that process payments for the 318 hotels that Hyatt manages.

Hyatt is promising to provide updates on its website, at www.hyatt.com/protectingourcustomers

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-24

makes me wonder sometimes whether I am being hacked there is always something going wrong on this computer last week I lost the desktop tile I looked everywhere and tried different things to try and get it back all to no avail I was informed that Microsoft had taken it to try and induce people to get windows 10 quite frankly I don't see the logic in that I tried windows 10 and I didn't like it .

It's because of this sort of thing I refuse to use internet banking etc. The crims are more clever than the people trying to stop them. It amazes me that the sheeple are prepared to put their entire economic security in harms way so readily, as though hacking never takes place.

I've used various internet banking for must be close to 15 years (?). Have not had any problems.

It's because of this sort of thing I refuse to use internet banking etc. The crims are more clever than the people trying to stop them. It amazes me that the sheeple are prepared to put their entire economic security in harms way so readily, as though hacking never takes place.

I've used various internet banking for must be close to 15 years (?). Have not had any problems.

Everything is OK till it's not. You have been lucky till now, but you may not be lucky tomorrow.

That's like saying because my granny smoked all her life and lived to 95 tobacco doesn't cause cancer. However, it's a fact that tobacco causes cancer, and internet hackers exist. There are billions of internet transactions everyday, and it's not possible for hackers to attack everyone.

Yes, I might not ever be hacked, but I'd worry about it all the time if I did use IT banking, so I don't. In fact, my computer has been hacked by people trying to extort me in a common scam, so I know from personal experience that it can happen to me ( I was using anti virus, but it was a new scam at the time ).

Everything is OK till it's not. You have been lucky till now, but you may not be lucky tomorrow.

That's like saying because my granny smoked all her life and lived to 95 tobacco doesn't cause cancer. However, it's a fact that tobacco causes cancer, and internet hackers exist. There are billions of internet transactions everyday, and it's not possible for hackers to attack everyone.

Yes, I might not ever be hacked, but I'd worry about it all the time if I did use IT banking, so I don't. In fact, my computer has been hacked by people trying to extort me in a common scam, so I know from personal experience that it can happen to me ( I was using anti virus, but it was a new scam at the time ).

It is nothing like that at all.

Put a few basic security measures and precautions in place, Most banks have a one time pin or sms alerts and passcodes these days.

Do you think a passbook is safer in some way?

It is nothing like that at all.

Put a few basic security measures and precautions in place, Most banks have a one time pin or sms alerts and passcodes these days.

Do you think a passbook is safer in some way?

Do you think Hyatt didn't have "basic security measures and precautions" in place? I don't think anything connected to the internet is safe. Even Thai banks put the details into their computer, but with a passbook I can prove that I hadn't withdrawn that big wad of cash that was taken out of my account by a hacker.

Do you think Hyatt didn't have "basic security measures and precautions" in place? I don't think anything connected to the internet is safe. Even Thai banks put the details into their computer, but with a passbook I can prove that I hadn't withdrawn that big wad of cash that was taken out of my account by a hacker.

No idea what the Hyatt had in place.

If someone fraudulently uses my CC i can simply get the money refunded by the CC provider.

It is credit, not my savings account, so it drains nothing

You don't think someone can just steal your passbook and walk into the bank?

It amazes me that the sheeple ... It amazes me that the Luddites ...

If someone fraudulently uses my CC i can simply get the money refunded by the CC provider.

The OP is not about CCs.

In Thailand they would not only have to steal my driving licence or passport as well as the passbook, but would have to look the same as me to get anything from my bank account. Pretty safe really.

The OP is not about CCs.

In Thailand they would not only have to steal my driving licence or passport as well as the passbook, but would have to look the same as me to get anything from my bank account. Pretty safe really.

The OP is talking about the theft of Credit card details from people booking with Hyatt.

What it is not talking about is smoking related deaths or internet banking