Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do hope that the victims families are reading this thread.

They will think that justice has been served, but more than likely to innocent people.

Actually, regardless of what we on this thread might THINK, the family has had more access to evidence and police than any of us here. None of us on this thread have been in the courtroom.

While I've been of the opinion that they got the wrong guys, who are any of us here to say that the family is mistaken. They have followed this case much closer than ANY of us here.

I dare sy the family are mistaken - and I think it's not only me.

If they know so much more and KNOW that the scapegoats are guilty they should let everybody know - and understand.

Then the case could be closed.

Absolutely disgusting that an entire county can be complicit in covering up the stitch-up of those two men. Just saw a news report where just recently, a Thai translator for SKY News was warned off by the local mafia. A mafia the government says does not exist.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/24/british-backpacker-case-thailand-on-trial-hannah-witheridge-david-miller?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don't why people are knocking the system, two innocent British tourists were killed and I'm sure Cameron pressed Prayut to get this sorted. No other suspects were brought forward and they had a 7 strong of lawyers to defend them!

I suspect the reason people are knocking it is because. 1. The BiB made a complete arse of the case, 2. The early main suspect was removed from the investigation and the policeman who suspected him was transferred. 3 The early main suspect refused a DNA test and when he did comply he was cleared in 9 hours (that time includes the transfer of the sample from Samuii to Bangkok). 4. The evidence was flimsy, poorly handled, poorly put forward and in some cases downright unbelievable (run out of sample for further DNA testing, erm no wait a minute we've lost it) and the main one as far as I'm concerned 5. Rich, powerful or influential Thai people do not get prosecuted. In this case there was so much international focus on the case they had to secure a conviction.

The above is only the tip of the iceberg, so much has went on in this case it's hard to keep up. I feel for the families of the victims.

It's a third world country, they don't have the police resources that UK has and it's corrupt. You know how it works, someone has to pay, that's the way it is. Everyone is happy apart from the Burmese.

Follow

@pakhead I was not at trial but it seems court accepted hearsay evidence on a dodgy DNA summary. If author not in court he can't b Xexamined

@pakhead In UK court the document would not be accepted unless the authors gave direct evidence that they drafted it & made the many changes

Edited by StealthEnergiser

I totally Agree its discusting.

Why UK role in backpackers murder case still worries rights groups
Peter Walker, The Guardian
LONDON:-- British authorities are accused of providing more help to Thai prosecutors than team defending alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller
Among the many complexities of the Koh Tao murder case has been the role of UK authorities: trying to help two grief-stricken British families while simultaneously exerting discreet pressure on Thai authorities to try and ensure a fair trial.
It has been a difficult and not completely successful balancing act. The British government has faced accusations it provided more help to those prosecuting the alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller than defending them, even though it potentially breached legal guidelines about assisting a case involving capital punishment by doing so.
When the news first emerged in September last year that two young Britons had been murdered on the popular backpackers’ island, the UK’s role was, at first, a familiar one, helping the bereaved families with the terrible but necessary formalities of identifying and repatriating their loved ones’ bodies.
But then came the arrest of two young Myanmar migrant workers, their swift confessions and the equally sudden news they had retracted these, amid claims they had been tortured into admitting guilt.
With alarm mounting in London about a possible miscarriage of justice the Foreign Office called in a senior Thai diplomat....

"We believe what happened today represents justice for Hannah and David," said Miller. "The Royal Thai Police conducted a thorough and methodical investigation ... evidence against the two was overwhelming."

Without wanting to appear unsympathetic, I am inclined to think that the "overwhelming evidence", and "thorough and methodical investigation", all points to the fact that the real issue was "closure at any cost", because I don't think that EVEN the most ardent of RTP apologists on here would agree on the second point especially. From the time of the botched up non-securing of the crime scene, to missing/lost/used up evidence, one could hardly call that a "thorough and methodical investigation"!!! .

I personally believe that the perpetrators of the crime are still out there, and the victims' families could not live with the fact that if the verdict had gone the other way, how many years would be taken up by investigators being blocked at every opportunity when trying to verify the truth? We have already seen examples of this, one example being when a certain person refused to hand over certain CCTV footage to the RTP because it was "his property"! (Possible evidence in a murder case, but you can;t have it because it's mine!!!)

No, for the families, it's easier to believe that the case is now over, and they can now try to get on with the rest of their lives.

No justice in Thailand, this verdict shows the country up for what it really is, CORRUPT, INCOMPETENT, BARBARIC. This, along with other judicial travesties recently seriously make me wonder if it's a place worth living in any longer. If you read the prison book send them to hell by the longest ever serving Brit inmate he tells several stories of people being stitched up. The most amazing was of a kid who took the responsibility for a murder committed by a rich murderer for a payoff to his family that he felt he was a burden to. That was because his hands were so disabled he could pick nothing up, yet the Thai 'justice' system still convicted him of the shooting even though it was impossible for him to have handled the gun. They executed him. That was in the 90's and things have not improved.

17 pages of "Thailand sucks" but little discussion about the fact that the family of the male victim said they were convinced that the correct verdict was returned. They were at the trial, they were at the hearing and I'm sure they had a translator.

I'm curious why the people who lost a son and who were privy to more evidence and discussion about the case that everyone here put together are convinced that Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun were to two people responsible for their sons' death. If it were my son who was murdered I wouldn't be satisfied until the person responsible was caught and brought to justice. I wouldn't settle for just killing two random innocent people and calling it even. I doubt the Miller's would either. [/size]

If the two Burmese guys didn't do it, they're the unluckiest people on the planet.

There is CCTV footage of them an a third Burmese laborer on a scooter going to 7-11 to buy cigarettes and beer.

Their friend Muang Muang , on the scooter places them at the beach shortly before the murders.

Cigarette butts with their DNA was found at the scene of the crime.

Both of their DNA was found in the female victims vagina.

The female victim's telephone was found at Zaw Lin's lodging with his fingerprints on it.

They confessed. What's the point of confessing to a crime where the penalty is death?

The unspoken accusation is that some son of a rich Thai did it and his father either bought everyone off or threatened people to rig the trial.

Where's the evidence that anyone else did it? Did the public see anyone else, did cameras, did the police find any evidence linking anyone else to the crime?

Was it a perfect investigation? No. Was the crime scene secured properly? No. What the trial 100% objective and free of outside interference? Who know. Could everything have been handled better, probably. Is this a purely Thai phenomenon, absolutely not. People still discuss and second guess the Oscar Pistorius trial, the OJ trial, Michael Jackson, Phil Spector, Amanda Knox, George Zimmerman and even the Scopes "monkey" trial.

If anybody has a more convincing version of what happened, with real verifiable facts, not just pulled out of their <deleted>, I'd enjoy reading it.

"There is CCTV footage of them an a third Burmese laborer on a scooter going to 7-11 to buy cigarettes and beer."

People go in to 7/11 all day everyday and buy cigarettes and beer; how does this equate to murder?

Their friend Muang Muang , on the scooter places them at the beach shortly before the murders.

People ride scooters all day everyday; How does this equate to murder?

Cigarette butts with their DNA was found at the scene of the crime.

So they lived near the beach and were on the beach that night; how does this equate to murder?

Both of their DNA was found in the female victims vagina.

Was it? The DNA evidence is worthless; no chain of custody, no proper methodology, nonsensical "dates" and corrections on a one page report.

The female victim's telephone was found at Zaw Lin's lodging with his fingerprints on it.

No, Hannah's phone was handed to the police by one of her friends

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766270-police-clarify-koh-tao-victims-cellphone-planting/

They confessed. What's the point of confessing to a crime where the penalty is death?

Tortured into confessions? there is no evidence that they were properly interrogated.. They were taken to a so called "safe house" without any legal representation.

Seems you are the one reaching into the depths of your own <deleted>.. enjoy!

Edited by MrTee

43+thousand views on this tread so far. Wonder how many are government officials.

None, I would think. They've got better things to do than worry about what a few foreigners on this forum, with no direct knowledge of the court case at all, think of the outcome.

The real murderers have successfully organised the state authorized murder of another two people.....

Cost a few $ ( 125 million baht is a figure I have heard quoted but no verification on that )

Never mind, give it a couple of years and it will happen again.

Impunity rules.

How sad for Thailand this is.

Whether guilty or not guilty, Thailand needed them to be guilty.

However if the justice system believes that now international focus has been taken off tourist safety in Thailand, they are sadly mistaken. If the police thinks that the death penalty for these two will act as a deterrent, they as well are sadly mistaken. I for one is just waiting for the next violent act against tourists/visitors.

One thing I learnt long ago when I came to Thailand, learn to be street smart, apply Thai rules, do your homework, its a jungle out there, full of predators ready to take advantage.

There is no jury. Only one judge. And as much As I want to think the court is corrupt. It's more likely a piss poor defense. Lawyers for the most part are very unskilled and unwilling to do probono work. Court appointed lawyers are very green and inexperienced. But the good thing is they can appeal.

The BBC said there were three judges in court ...

I don't why people are knocking the system, two innocent British tourists were killed and I'm sure Cameron pressed Prayut to get this sorted. No other suspects were brought forward and they had a 7 strong of lawyers to defend them!

and....do you think he added "It might be useful General if you were to give your view that they are guilty"

I am crying for these two innocent boys, victims of an unfair and cruel system whose leaders lie and conceal the truth. Land of NO smiles.

Don't waste your hankies on these two would be my advice to you.

So why you wasting so much in these two?

What is your agenda here?

You stated over and over that you think they're guilty, but you appear to be on a mission to "prove" it even to the point of being vitriolic and rude towards other posters.

Spoiler, we're all entitled to an opinion; not just you!

I was truly hoping they would have been found not guilty. I don't even understand how anyone could be convicted justly with all the errors and mistakes made throughout this trial. I hope the appeal is successful.

--Pitts

So do I, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Come April I will be voting with my heels and wallet in opposition to this farcical place of usery, deceit , conceit and corruption.

Someone else can take my seat in this 3 ring "cluster - f"

My first few years here were lovely but what it was has gone down the sewer drain now.

This verdict and the past 2 years of chaos, incompetence and empty promises has left me feeling impotent and "dirty by association".

It will be good riddance come April.

You obviously don't feel that strongly about things if your waiting until April.

Such a silly statement! Kind of twittish actually. You don't have any idea of what is required to conclude and pack business matters here.

Go find a more worthy cause to comment on. Something child oriented or perhaps for the character weak crowd.

You didn't make a statement about the issues being discussed - you simply ATTACKED the poster.

Childish to say the least!

I feel sorry for their loss.

But this does not excuse their celebrating this verdict.

If they know something that gives reason for their opinion they should let everybody know

- so people can peacefully agree with the verdict

If not they have been brainwashed - or may be even bribed??

The families are not under any obligations or have a duty to inform the public of any intimate details of this case.

I would not think the family would make such statements if they were not convinced justice has been served. My guess is that there is evidences that is being withheld for legal reasons considering there will be an appeal later on.