Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

I must say I am amazed not one person on Koh Tao has shown remorse and has not spoken out (if persons of influence were involved)

Also the present administration has publcly backed the investigation and the subsequent trial verdict, whatever it thinks, the junta has many enimies, strong and influential ones, some based on foreign shores. If a misscaridge of justice has gone down....why the silence...this gives me a doubt about the Burmese inoocence.

Also the defence case in court was nothing short of pathetic. Was this down to shear incompitence or fear?

On your last point it was down to them not being able to counter the overwhelmingly conclusive DNA evidence pointing to their absolute guilt!!

Let's face it, they had SEVEN, I repeat, seven of the best defence lawyers in Thailand acting for them with very little going for them by way of argument compared to what the prosecution had. They were always going to lose this case due to the DNA evidence bomb shell.

People accuse them of being meek when it comes to their usage of the DNA evidence available to them. If it was so flawed and proved their innocence then why was it ignored by them and capitalised on by the prosecution to swing the verdict their way? The judge said that the DNA element was key to his decision in coming to his conclusions about their guilt.

It was quite funny seeing Jonathon Head on the BBC news trying to fathom out the reasons behind the complete impotence of the defence team in the trial!!

It was a mixture of astonishment, confusion and disbelief!!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"They just try to insinuate that it's wrong by vague references to a wrong date or a signature missing here or there but never explaining how, precisely, that invalidates the results, it's like arguing that a passenger plane didn't fly from A to B because the pilot forgot one or more steps during the preflight checklist... while you can see the plane parked at the gate at B's airport."

Wow!

Just wow!

Excellent comparisson!

a) because you SEE the plain...that is why NO ONE questions it! It is, as you might say, "verifiable evidence"!

b ) we are NOT talking about evidence that is not valid because "a wrong date or a signature missing here and there"...but the chain of custody, that has been broken and the "evidence" DNA is "gone" or "used up" or "I don't know", which makes it NON VERIFIABLE!

I am not even saying, that the RTP actually have tampered with the DNA (although that is what I am saying!), but they COULD have or MIGHT have and since none of it is left and the chain of custody was broken....oh, what the...we have been through this so many times.

"I am not even saying, that the RTP actually have tampered with the DNA (although that is what I am saying!)",

OK, give us a clue - are you saying it or not saying it? you can't do both!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the British Government's actions here weren't influenced by assistance they received in their extraordinary rendition and black sites program. Some very dirty little secrets they, and the US, would like to keep buried.

Oh my God ! A global conspiracy ...

It's called 'Diplomacy', not a conspiracy. No doubt you'll need to check a dictionary to understand it's meaning.

Ok, we almost have enough for a jury so I would like to ask Lucky11, DiscoDan, Greenchair, AleG, Islandlife, Asiamaster, The Cruncher, Stander etc. to look in the mirror and honestly, and I mean honestly, ask yourself this question:

If you were on a jury in your home country (or for some of you, your home planets if they have a jury system) and the only "evidence" you were provided with was what the police alleged - i.e. they provided no concrete, forensically and independently verifiable evidence, would you vote to convict? Well, would you?

Now add to the mix:

1. The police in question were the RTP

2. Absolutely no evidence is provided linking the murder weapon to the accused and the police said they did not even test the alleged weapon for fingerprints and DNA

3. No real motive was offered (we all know rape is not a crime of “sexual arousal”).

4. The only “evidence” presented related to rape and not murder.

Please answer honestly – would you vote to convict?

Not long after Nomsod's name was mentioned as being a suspect it seemed a certain groups of posters became very active defending him and any one related to Koh tao if they were mentioned for being involved.

From day 1 it seems this group had the B2 guilty and any mention of any other persons involvement they attacked the posters trying to discredit them.

Nobody knows for sure why they have been so defensive but many posters have suggested that maybe some people have been doing this under orders from others.

I have no idea if this is true or not but I would not like to see the B2 put to death if they are Not Guilty.

If there is going to be any further investigations I don't think the investigators would be doing their if they didn't carefully look into this group as it has been said many times by posters in a majority of the threads that certain people seem to have another agenda and may be covering something.

It has also been mentioned that some of these posters have been very acting during threads using personal messenger they may have very good reason for this but if you are an investigator reading this it you should check it out.

It won't be hard to work out who they are just start at the front .

If an Investigation does go ahead apologies to anyone who may be questioned and are totally innocent but nothing should be overlooked to get to the bottom of this terrible story.

Ok, we almost have enough for a jury so I would like to ask Lucky11, DiscoDan, Greenchair, AleG, Islandlife, Asiamaster, The Cruncher, Stander etc. to look in the mirror and honestly, and I mean honestly, ask yourself this question:

If you were on a jury in your home country (or for some of you, your home planets if they have a jury system) and the only "evidence" you were provided with was what the police alleged - i.e. they provided no concrete, forensically and independently verifiable evidence, would you vote to convict? Well, would you?

Now add to the mix:

2. Absolutely no evidence is provided linking the murder weapon to the accused and the police said they did not even test the alleged weapon for fingerprints and DNA

3. No real motive was offered (we all know rape is not a crime of “sexual arousal”).

Not long after Nomsod's name was mentioned as being a suspect it seemed a certain groups of posters became very active defending him and any one related to Koh tao if they were mentioned for being involved.

From day 1 it seems this group had the B2 guilty and any mention of any other persons involvement they attacked the posters trying to discredit them.

Nobody knows for sure why they have been so defensive but many posters have suggested that maybe some people have been doing this under orders from others.

I have no idea if this is true or not but I would not like to see the B2 put to death if they are Not Guilty.

If there is going to be any further investigations I don't think the investigators would be doing their if they didn't carefully look into this group as it has been said many times by posters in a majority of the threads that certain people seem to have another agenda and may be covering something.

It has also been mentioned that some of these posters have been very acting during threads using personal messenger they may have very good reason for this but if you are an investigator reading this it you should check it out.

If an Investigation does go ahead apologies to anyone who may be questioned and are totally innocent but nothing should be overlooked to get to the bottom of this terrible story.

"I have no idea if this is true or not but I would not like to see the B2 put to death if they are Not Guilty".

Neither would I, the only problem with this is that they were found guilty

Now add to the mix:

"I have no idea if this is true or not but I would not like to see the B2 put to death if they are Not Guilty".

Neither would I, the only problem with this is that they were found guilty

Yes they have been found Guilty but their will be an appeal as the majority of people seem to disagree with the verdict and after the appeal and a thorough investigation l I am sure you will see a different verdict.

I hope their appeal is based on the torture accusations, the unofficial translator and not having a lawyer present when they signed the confession. Why? because the judge said NONE of this was used as evidence in the trial and so their appeal is baseless if that's all they have to offer in refuting the charges. The result, failed appeal, still guilty as charged!!

The funny thing is that during the trial I said just that, that the defense strategy was a non-starter, and of course I got called all sort of things for doing that.

I even went as far as saying what they would have to do to prove the innocence of their clients, show that the initial DNA profiles, the ones available since 3 or 4 days after the murders and used by multiple laboratories to check against suspects were (in theory) different from those of the two Burmese.

That would had blown the whole supposed conspiracy to bits... didn't happen, the obvious conclusion is that there is no such discrepancy in the records; which explains why the didn't want to context the DNA evidence, they know they can't.

As a matter of fact I think the judge made that very point, that the time between the DNA profiles being obtained and the arrest of the suspect proved that they were not tampered with.

They just try to insinuate that it's wrong by vague references to a wrong date or a signature missing here or there but never explaining how, precisely, that invalidates the results, it's like arguing that a passenger plane didn't fly from A to B because the pilot forgot one or more steps during the preflight checklist... while you can see the plane parked at the gate at B's airport.

On top of everything I'm sure that the same people now complaining about the investigation not being absolutely flawless in every aspect were the same people that during the two weeks of the police investigation were crying for results by yesterday or sooner and to be kept informed of every single detail as it emerged.

Step 1, demand that the investigation be rushed, Step 2, complain that the investigation was rushed, Step 3 demand that the case be thrown because of the rushed investigation.

The DNA testing of the migrants living on Koh Tao was simply a PR stunt.

DNA testing does not come cheap, the RTP did not have the budget or inclination to test all the migrants on that island.

I also seemed to remember the measuring of the migrants feet, another crock of doo doo.

Now add to the mix:

"Defensive" is hardly the word Stealth although it begins with the right letter. Use of phrases like "the overwhelmingly conclusive DNA evidence pointing to their absolute guilt!!" (Lucky11) smacks of desperation, especially in light of the actual facts. My guess is there are a lot of people who are very worried this shows no signs of going away and could actually unravel.

Now add to the mix:

3. No real motive was offered (we all know rape is not a crime of sexual arousal).

4. The only evidence presented related to rape and not murder.

Please answer honestly would you vote to convict?

I had very little knowledge or interest in this case prior to the verdict and sentencing on the 24th, but I have followed with interest here and through links that friends and colleagues have given me.

I am now convinced of their guilt and as a proponent of the death penalty, believe it should be carried out as soon as all avenue of appeal are used up.

You're repeating yourself. Maybe you should cross out each standard reply as you use them to avoid such repetitions. Edited by Bluespunk

Funny how the same old posters are gleefully carrying on with their "B2 are guilty " thread yet on all the other threads where the sham is being called into question and the government is being asked to clarify and thousands of people are demanding justice they are not saying anything. Funny that.

I say leave them to this thread - they are likely just currying favour with island power players for reasons of self interest - and look to what is happening today about this: unprecedented condemnation.

I hope their appeal is based on the torture accusations, the unofficial translator and not having a lawyer present when they signed the confession. Why? because the judge said NONE of this was used as evidence in the trial and so their appeal is baseless if that's all they have to offer in refuting the charges. The result, failed appeal, still guilty as charged!!

The funny thing is that during the trial I said just that, that the defense strategy was a non-starter, and of course I got called all sort of things for doing that.

I even went as far as saying what they would have to do to prove the innocence of their clients, show that the initial DNA profiles, the ones available since 3 or 4 days after the murders and used by multiple laboratories to check against suspects were (in theory) different from those of the two Burmese.

That would had blown the whole supposed conspiracy to bits... didn't happen, the obvious conclusion is that there is no such discrepancy in the records; which explains why the didn't want to context the DNA evidence, they know they can't.

As a matter of fact I think the judge made that very point, that the time between the DNA profiles being obtained and the arrest of the suspect proved that they were not tampered with.

They just try to insinuate that it's wrong by vague references to a wrong date or a signature missing here or there but never explaining how, precisely, that invalidates the results, it's like arguing that a passenger plane didn't fly from A to B because the pilot forgot one or more steps during the preflight checklist... while you can see the plane parked at the gate at B's airport.

On top of everything I'm sure that the same people now complaining about the investigation not being absolutely flawless in every aspect were the same people that during the two weeks of the police investigation were crying for results by yesterday or sooner and to be kept informed of every single detail as it emerged.

Step 1, demand that the investigation be rushed, Step 2, complain that the investigation was rushed, Step 3 demand that the case be thrown because of the rushed investigation.

I think most poster on here havn't even got a clue what ISO is, ISO doesn't in anyway stop people from manipulating the results.

This is from the link below

96. However, ISO 17025 does not guarantee quality, as Dr Gill Tully, Research and Development Manager at the FSS pointed out

"although ISO 17025 is necessary, it is not sufficient to ensure quality because it is very much a standard that is around laboratory testing. It does not really cover issues like setting the forensic strategy for a case, working out which items to examine and which not. It certainly does not cover the complex interpretation of the results and the presentation of the evidence in court. It is part of a wider framework that is not in place and is certainly not in place as a standard across all laboratories."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmsctech/855/85506.htm

I can hear the truthers bubble bursting from here.

I wonder if Gill Tully taught herself forensics like pornthip ?

#GUILTY.

I must say I am amazed not one person on Koh Tao has shown remorse and has not spoken out (if persons of influence were involved)

Also the present administration has publcly backed the investigation and the subsequent trial verdict, whatever it thinks, the junta has many enimies, strong and influential ones, some based on foreign shores. If a misscaridge of justice has gone down....why the silence...this gives me a doubt about the Burmese inoocence.

Also the defence case in court was nothing short of pathetic. Was this down to shear incompitence or fear?

On your last point it was down to them not being able to counter the overwhelmingly conclusive DNA evidence pointing to their absolute guilt!!

Let's face it, they had SEVEN, I repeat, seven of the best defence lawyers in Thailand acting for them with very little going for them by way of argument compared to what the prosecution had. They were always going to lose this case due to the DNA evidence bomb shell.

People accuse them of being meek when it comes to their usage of the DNA evidence available to them. If it was so flawed and proved their innocence then why was it ignored by them and capitalised on by the prosecution to swing the verdict their way? The judge said that the DNA element was key to his decision in coming to his conclusions about their guilt.

It was quite funny seeing Jonathon Head on the BBC news trying to fathom out the reasons behind the complete impotence of the defence team in the trial!!

It was a mixture of astonishment, confusion and disbelief!!

as has been said many times, until they actually produce the physical dna evidence instead of a verbal statement and a scribbled piece of paper claiming it does match the accused then as far as I am concerned along with many others - it doesn't exist

and if they do manage to produce the "original samples" then I still won't be satisfied until there is a confirmation retest carried out at an independent certified trusted lab

That is how dna works - it is no different from any other physical evidence like for example a murder weapon, police cannot claim a ballistics match then say they don't have the actual gun - dna is no different

Edited by smedly

Funny how the same old posters are gleefully carrying on with their "B2 are guilty " thread yet on all the other threads where the sham is being called into question and the government is being asked to clarify and thousands of people are demanding justice they are not saying anything. Funny that.

I say leave them to this thread - they are likely just currying favour with island power players for reasons of self interest - and look to what is happening today about this: unprecedented condemnation.

Hang on a mo. We are the ones that should be asking why you lot are carrying on with your 'they are not guilty' stance. Have you forgotten that they were found, guilty, already

....would any of you that went to a doctor for a blood test and they handed you the form with the results and the date was wrong, some items were scribbled out and facts were just plain wrong, would you accept this and walk away satisfied? Why then should they be in this case with the DNA/autopsy/crime scene/cause of death.....I could go on....results....

Hang on a mo. We are the ones that should be asking why you lot are carrying on with your 'they are not guilty' stance. Have you forgotten that they were found, guilty, already

Being found guilty by this court in these circumstances and actually being guilty are 2 very different things.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882014-myanmar-military-chief-weighs-in-on-koh-tao-murder-case/

If they are guilty then why has Myanmars military chief taken this unprecedented step? Would he have done it if he thought they were guilty?

The web of lies and deceit is unravelling

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882014-myanmar-military-chief-weighs-in-on-koh-tao-murder-case/

If they are guilty then why has Myanmars military chief taken this unprecedented step? Would he have done it if he thought they were guilty?

The official line is that they ACCEPT the decision of the Thai authorities, everything else is academic!!.

Edited by lucky11

The Myanmar authorities most likely want to assure that 2 of its citizens in Thailand receive all proper representation during any appeal or further judicial proceedings -- or is it the opinion here that only 'innocent' people deserve proper legal representation and support?

A certain individual of interest at the start of the investigation had a very public, televised and quite frankly disgraceful DNA test, all this in front of the Chief of Police ( what the hell was he doing there?)

Amazingly well within 24 hours the results were released and not to anyone's surprise were found to show he had no part in the crime!

I think it common knowledge than even the most basic DNA test takes a lot longer than 24 hours.

The official line is that they ACCEPT the decision of the Thai authorities, everything else is academic!!.

accept?

the official statement does not say that

it says they respect the courts decision

but do not agree with the ruling

According to the BP article I read it clearly stated that he initially ACCEPTED the decision - following the protests in Myanmar he now doesn't accept it so one can only put his change of mind on pressure from his fellow countrymen, or, as is common with these Envoys, he doesn't really know what he is doing and why he is doing it half the time!!

According to the BP article I read it clearly stated that he initially ACCEPTED the decision - following the protests in Myanmar he now doesn't accept it so one can only put his change of mind on pressure from his fellow countrymen, or, as is common with these Envoys, he doesn't really know what he is doing and why he is doing it half the time!!

Where did all the DNA go once tested, it was lost or destroyed, even the RTP admited this.

Hence why DNA should have been declared null and void in court.

The defence's only help in the British Coroners inquest. Did the Coroner found DNA on the deseased and how many types of DNA.

But after all the political involvment, I don't hold much chance the Brits would be as so brave.

Edited by MorristheRunt

A certain individual of interest at the start of the investigation had a very public, televised and quite frankly disgraceful DNA test, all this in front of the Chief of Police ( what the hell was he doing there?)

Amazingly well within 24 hours the results were released and not to anyone's surprise were found to show he had no part in the crime!

I think it common knowledge than even the most basic DNA test takes a lot longer than 24 hours.

Stop telling lies Morris

Go do some research on rapid dna

In 2012 Florida police dept got there new rapid dna testing machine a X Rapid hit 200 unit The first case they solved using this machine was a robbery of a US solders home while he was in afghanistan, it produced a profile in 90 MINUTES that linked a suspect to the crime.
Why lies?

And you know for a fact the RTP has access to this X Rapid hit.?

Even such a device is not going to produce Accurate results where at least 3 DNA profiles to be tested

"Jane Taupin, a renowned Australian forensic scientist brought in by the defence team, questioned the plausibility of working this quickly, saying extracting DNA from mixed samples was difficult and time-consuming."

And unless the samples that are tested have chain of custody that proves exactly when and where they came from the results are meaningless.

Nice try, but no cigar..
Edited by lucky11

She was that useful to the defence team that as soon as she had finished her work and came to her useless conclusions - they threw her out of the door never to be heard of again. More of a time consuming hindrance than a benefit to them, it seems!!

Whether or not her testimony was given is irrelevant..

the fact is extracting DNA from mixed samples is difficult and time-consuming

"Jane Taupin, a renowned Australian forensic scientist brought in by the defence team, questioned the plausibility of working this quickly, saying extracting DNA from mixed samples was difficult and time-consuming."

And unless the samples that are tested have chain of custody that proves exactly when and where they came from the results are meaningless.

what point is there in her even discussing something that cannot be proven..

No chain of custody means DNA is meaningless.

Same as when a certain character's DNA was tested, if there is no chain of custody then the results are meaningless regardless of how sophisticated the device is

Edited by MrTee

Jane Taupin, a renowned Australian forensic scientist​ was in attendance at the court but never called by the defence.

Myself and many , many people who have supported the defence must find that a worry.

Why was this expert not called? Her statements out of court to the BBC suggest her evidence was very much to the advantage of the accused.

So why was she not called? This for me is a major worry and gives me doubt about the defence's case.

If anyone has a Twitter account, would you please ask Andrew Hall this question directly, it needs to be addressed with urgency.

Edited by MorristheRunt

Jane Taupin, a renowned Australian forensic scientist​ was in attendance at the court but never called by the defence.

Myself and many , many people who have supported the defence must find that a worry.

Why was this expert not called? Her statements out of court to the BBC suggest her evidence was very much to the advantage of the accused.

So why was she not called? This for me is a major worry and gives me doubt about the defence's case.

If anyone has a Twitter account, would you please ask Andrew Hall this question directly, it needs to be addressed with urgency.

Follow

@JeromeTaylor @JQP6 Dr. Jane Taupin was/is key international DNA expert advisor to defense team. Who testifies is part of lawyers strategy

Follow

@JeromeTaylor @JQP6 Dr. Jane Taupin was/is key international DNA expert advisor to defense team. Who testifies is part of lawyers strategy

Thank you