Where to buy a Bamboo Stick for hiking?

FMFK86

I would like to purchase one fine Bamboo Stick for hiking. Any ideas where to buy one? I was thinking the Flower Market behind Tesco Lotus? Maybe the hardware stores on the north side of the moat? Anyhow, I dont recall ever having seen some as I was never looking for them.

Btw, I am aware that Bamboo grows everywhere, but I do not want to go around cutting stuff, and I only have a kitchen knife which would take hours anyway I guess.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Actually, bamboo does not grow everywhere.

There are many wood lots about the city and most will carry bamboo of different dimensions.

I work with bamboo a lot and have found the best place to buy is out on the Canal Rd.

If that isn't your cup of tea then simply wander around the neighbourhood and I am sure that something will appear.

Ask a tuk tsk driver to go fetch you one. Guaranteed success.

My bamboo walking sticks are both very plain and simple and also include hidden blades within the catch.

You might consider rattan rather than bamboo. Much stronger, last forever. just as light weight, and easy to come by. There are several rattan shops around town; two of them on Chang Moi Rd, about three blocks from the moat, another one just near the north-east corner of the moat, on the north side, perhaps 2 blocks from the corner. Any of these shops can supply straight sections in any length you wish, but they probably won't have them in the shop when you go. You'll need to tell them what you want and come back the next day. I prefer a 6' length, 1" in diameter. When given a light sanding (5 minutes worth) you are left with a hiking staff that will last you a lifetime. After using mine for 30 years, I gave it to my son. He uses it still today, having hiked with it for 20 years himself. He'll pass it on to his children when they are ready for one.

Archived