Nong khai v Mukdaham

malct

We were at Mukdaham in may and we have 9 days of travelling to do and thought about going to Hong Khai, but we didn't find that Mukdaham had much to do apart from the markets and everything went dead once it went dark unless you went to the night market, is Hong Khai very similar?

The wife and I are touring north and Northeast, currently in Yasothon, apart from the culture, it's nice to be able to have a meal and a few beers, maybe entertainment not getting pissed etc

I am just over the hill from you in Amnat Charoen and did a 2000 km trip alone thru Issan last year on my bike and will do another one soon. I did the Mekong route one way and unless you like rural Issan there isn't any hot nightlife.

Mukdahan has the market on the river plus a nighttime entertainment area under the tower. I liked the feel of Nakhon Phanon and the river walk along the Mekong, IMO the best along the Mekong River.

Bueng Kan was OK but not too much to do. Nong Kai had beer bars and better entertainment along with more shopping opportunities. When you head down to Udon Thani and KK the roads get bussier and you get more with more farang bars and restaurants and from KK it is just a short drive home for you. If you are travelling with your wife you shouldn't get bored and it's a great way to see the many areas of Issan. Good luck.

There is hot nightlife as you call it in Kong Jiam, which is probably the nicest spot on the Mekong, south of Nong Khai. As usual its a case of knowing where to look and speaking a bit of Thai. You are right though Pattaya it is not

Wasn't Kong Jiam raided last week? Bangkok military showed up and made some arrests. The "Christmas lights" were turned off at the bars....bummer....right before Christmas. They could've waited until after xmas.

Or is everything back to normal again there?

Read that too. I'm sure it'll be back on full-swing now though.

Usual periodic underage Lao girl raids. Chong Mek's brothel boulevard was also done I read.

Something to do with being close to Laos - Khong Jiam, Chong Mek, Buntalik - wall to wall rumpy-pumpy dens in selected areas. One lot of police owners doing another lot of police owners, then revenge raids?

I'd pop over the border to Savannaket - Mukdahan is as dull as dishwater. Nong Khai is better, but Udon is probably a better choice if you want fun in Isaan.

I agree with everything but Savannaket is a Bore, love NK and Udon
and Seka

I'd pop over the border to Savannaket - Mukdahan is as dull as dishwater. Nong Khai is better, but Udon is probably a better choice if you want fun in Isaan.

I agree with everything but Savannaket is a Bore, love NK and Udon
and Seka

I prefer Ban Phaeng to Seka.

But I have always like Nong Khai.

Never saw the attraction of Mukdahan other than the IndoChin market by the river.

Savannaket was pretty slow.