noob advice on booking flight to Phillipines

Mahdrek

visa runs out Jan 9th

made up my mind to go Philippines

have 2 questions

1) what is best, easiest way to book a flight but at same time save money...yes i know it's about 2 weeks away

2) what is best way to not get double hit exchanging money ? i have 400K baut in my thai bank account and now ill need Philippine money. my country and bank of origin is Canadian. am i stuck putting the money into my canadian account and then converting to Philppine money later ?

can i just travel with 400K thai bt and convert in Philippines as i need it lol ?

thank you

Six nonstop flights to Manila (?) all from Suvarnabhumi.

CEBU, Thai Airways, Kuwait Airways blink.png , Philippine Airways

Thai Airways (TG), a return in January (8th) starts at about 13000 Baht.

This probably marks the upper price limit.

Compared to the other airlines TG can well be called a safe/comfortable airline.

Thai Baht in the P.?

Buying Peso in Bangkok?

Both will give terrible rates.

US Dollar is the money to have for the P.

What does "baut" in Thai account mean?

In Bangkok it is easy to change THB cash to USD for a good rate.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nothing direct DMK-MNL. Cebu Pacific is the cheapest. So-so reputation but I flew CP a couple of times and they were fine. Kuwait is not the greatest but OK if you can face 3 hours without beer. Or consider DMK-CRK (Angeles/Clark) via Singapore unless you need to visit the Thai embassy in Manila. Angeles is cheaper and much more enjoyable than Manila, the worst city in SE Asia by far. Filipino people are delightful, though.

Buy USD in Thailand. Piece of cake changing them for PHP in the Phils. Changing THB will be expensive if it's possible at all.

oh i should mention in a small town near Surat Thani airport.

would i still go Bkk or would flight go direct to Manila

CEBU has two weekly nonstop flights from Phuket to Manila (Mon, Fri).

Overnight flight arriving 4:15h.

And NOT significantly cheaper than TG from Bangkok.

No direct flight from Surat Thani.

Would you seriously expect that?

What is the intention/idea behind the trip? Intended lenght of stay?

For a simple border run the P. are an expensive option.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can't believe the number of people suggesting to exchange Thai baht to US$ then change that Php. Exactly what the OP was seeking to avoid!

2) what is best way to not get double hit exchanging money ?

OP for flights i would look at the websites of the airlines helpfully named above. Cebu Pacific can be cheaper but some of their flight times are at very anti social hours. I usually fly with Kuwait or Phlippine Air as I will not take the anti social hours flights.

For money I would suggest if you have funds available in your Canadian account to use your ATM card once in country or carry Thb exchange as you need it once there (not at the airport). [perhaps change just a small amount of Thb in Thailand for peace of mind].

Personally I try to avoid carrying large amounts of cash, its just too risky.

I've often arrived in countries without a single cent of local currency. I either use an ATM at the airport upon arrival, or ask the taxi driver to stop at an exchange booth where I will get a good rate.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Can't believe the number of people suggesting to exchange Thai baht to US$ then change that Php. Exactly what the OP was seeking to avoid!

2) what is best way to not get double hit exchanging money ?

OP for flights i would look at the websites of the airlines helpfully named above. Cebu Pacific can be cheaper but some of their flight times are at very anti social hours. I usually fly with Kuwait or Phlippine Air as I will not take the anti social hours flights.

For money I would suggest if you have funds available in your Canadian account to use your ATM card once in country or carry Thb exchange as you need it once there (not at the airport). [perhaps change just a small amount of Thb in Thailand for peace of mind].

Personally I try to avoid carrying large amounts of cash, its just too risky.

I've often arrived in countries without a single cent of local currency. I either use an ATM at the airport upon arrival, or ask the taxi driver to stop at an exchange booth where I will get a good rate.

Thank you soooo much

Why not exchange Thb at airport there ? bad exchange rates at airports ?

I went through an agency to book the flights and get a ride to the Surat Thani airport as im about hour and half away.

my only concern is i arrive at bkk suvarnabhumi intl at 11:10 am

and leave same airport at 13:50 ( 1:50 pm ) which gives me an hour and 40 minutes in an airport ive never been to

to do all this :

get luggage

change airlines from thai smile to philippine air

get airline ticket printed or whatever

immigration

check in luggage

actually im not sure all what i have to do or how hard it all is as im figuring the airport is HUGE.

any advice here on what order i do stuff would be welcome

i can get the plane agency man to give me detailed instructions in thai ( if needed, im used to thai not knowing good english or any in this rural town, obv most should know english well at airport )

should i be concerned about only 2 hours and 40 mins getting onto on intl flight and switching airlines etc ?

thank you everyone for responding

2) Im now under the belief i can use my thai bank card just like i do my CDN bank card while im in the philippines, i contacted my banks ( SCB bank ) head office to let them know i will be travelling, they said i can use it there.......but im used to thai people saying stuff and then finding out later .... ?

and i have no idea on limits either of card usage ?