Dine in style in CM any suggestions?

flyDelight

Next month my absolutely gorgeous Lao gf and I have something to celebrate. Want take her to a classy place to dine in style, romantic/candle lit/privacy. (not just pricy/snobby hate that no kantoke or traditional either) Just styish and highly romantic athmosphere, yummy western food and good wine card. Prefer city center or Niman, not outside of town anyway. Any great suggestions?

christmas-candlelit-dinner_for_two.jpg

Is she familiar with the knife and fork culture? Do you merely want to parade your wealth or the body of the girl? And when someones starts a thread at 3 am, something wrong with that guy: it's bedtime.

Anyway, the Grandview Hotel uses nice cloth serviettes (aka, napkins) and heavy tableware so that merits a consideration.

^LOL Jobin.. there are other timezones on this planet that people can be in, youknow. Also that she's Laotian doesn't mean she's straight out of a cave or something. wink.png

So let's see.. Farangses at the Dhara Dhevi is really nice, although slightly out of town. It's worth it thoguh also for the overall ambiance. Downtown there is The House on Moon Muang, close to Sriphoom corner.

Those places come to mind for something more quiet and romantic.

I'm not very familiar with the Nimman area; quite possible that there are some really good options there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

"candle lit. yummy western food and good wine card. Niman"

Have a look at Why Not, Soi 11&13. It checks on all of the above. The food is mainly italian, and so is the manager. He is always

on the premises except Mondays. Go there one evening, and if the place is to your liking, talk to him in advance and reserve a

table out in the garden, a bit more isolated, because otherwise privacy might be relative.

Mind you, it's not quite like the picture you posted. Main dishes have two zeroes, not three.

Close to Nimman, there is Xanadu restaurant on the terrace of Furama Hotel. The view is well worthy (20th floor or so), candles etc.

But I ate there only once several years ago I don't know how it is now. I remember they were good on barbecues and I remember

they had live music which I personally could have done without.

Davids Kitchen. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Next month the weather should still be good, so someplace outdoors, like Anantara is good.

I saw the new David's Kitchen when it was still under construction and I think they have some outdoor garden areas, too. DK is an impressive choice because it's always one of the top rated restaurants in CM, actually in Thailand, by snobby magazines like Thailand Tatler. Should be impressive.

what does it matter if she is Laotian/Cambodian or Ethiopian or Bangladeshi? what do looks have to do with a restaurant recommendation anyway?

i'm always up at 3:00 but sounds like you had a few more glasses of wine than I did!

The service 1921 in the Anantara.. Very nice old school colonial for aperitifs pre dinner..

Ren By Dhara Dhevi is a pretty special sushi / japanese buffet..

At a far far lower price point. Casa Diverso does nice food, well presented and pocket friendly.. Not perhaps the romance ambiance you might be shooting for.. Why Not ?? Well I love the food and think the owners a decent fella, just went for oysters etc Xmas eve, but again perhaps not the most romantic location ever. Theres a few around niman which would hit this kind of nice food but normal restaurant offering.

Huen Huey Geow has some romantic tables out on the patio.. Nice Thai food.. Ticks a lot of boxes.. Not very expensive.. Would give a nice Northern Thai romantic vibe..

Le Coq d'Or is very faux Euro style.. I personally thought it was a bit gaudy and gauche and the food while good, not deserving of the price point they pitched at.. But very attentive and 'correct' service (modify silverware depending on order, serving each customer from the rear / side, someone at your table near permanently etc etc) and a fella tinkling ivories etc.. Asians I have been there with thought it fancy.. Seem to remember wines being many multi 1000 per bottle tho.

Davids kitchen, better food, less pretend 5 star and gilded furniture.. I havent been to his new one but the old one on the river was romantic.

Edited by LivinLOS

Huan Huey Keow

Top of Huey Keow road, just off the entrance lane to Huey Keow park and waterfall (after the zoo entrance).

Traditional Thai teak restaurant looking out over the waterfalls.

Serving traditional Thai food, and not all that expensive either.

About 120bht-150bht each for most of main dishes.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293917-d2562266-i89184038-Huen_Huay_Kaew-Chiang_Mai.html

http://hello-chiang-mai.com/eating-drinking/local-eatery/huen-huay-kaew/

Edited by MaeJoMTB