Christmas becoming more popular in Thailand

rooster59

Christmas becoming more popular in Thailand

BANGKOK: DESPITE being traditionally recognised in the West, Christmas is increasingly celebrated in Thailand, according to Dunnhumby Thailand, a customer-science company.

"While Christmas is not a traditional Thai festival, our research into the buying habits of shoppers reveals that Thais are beginning to embrace this important time of year," said Teeradet Dumrongbhalasirt, head of Connect Media at Dunnhumby Thailand.

"Whether it's putting up a Christmas tree, sending friends or family a hamper, or throwing a party with festive-season food and drink, our data can provide insights into how consumers in Thailand are shopping, giving valuable information to retailers as they plan for one of the busiest shopping periods of the year."

Using insights into the buying habits of 8.2 million Tesco Lotus shoppers around the country, Dunnhumby found that shoppers in Bangkok and its surrounding area were most likely to spend on gift hampers during the Christmas season.

Shoppers in Southern region, which includes areas such as Krabi, Phuket, Songkhla and Phatthalung, were more likely than any other Thais to buy Christmas trees and related accessories.

The company revealed that hampers were more popular in the Bangkok, Central and Eastern regions, appearing in 11 per cent of festive-season shopping baskets, but less popular in the Southern, Northern and Northeastern regions, where they appeared in just 9 per cent of baskets.

The three provinces most likely to include festive-related items in their basket were Bueng Kan in the Northeast (38.1 per cent), Krabi in the South (28.5 per cent) and Tak in the North (28.3 per cent).

Overall, the regions most likely to celebrate the festive season were the South and Northeast. More than a third (37.4 per cent) of southern customers buying Christmas festival products, including hampers, cards and gift wrap, alcohol, meat, party accessories, and Christmas trees and accessories. Festive products appearing in one in five (20.9 per cent) of northeastern baskets.

Buying habits also tended to be influenced by the cool season, with many customers cross-shopping, and the research revealed that customers who bought Christmas trees would often buy them together with children's winter clothes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Christmas-becoming-more-popular-in-Thailand-30275725.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-26

Yeah... except that almost no one in the country knows why you even celebrate "real" Christmas..... most Thais just knows Coca Cola Christmas with Gifts, Santa Claus and Christmas Trees....

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people who are not as fortunate as yourself....

Yeah... except that almost no one in the country knows why you even celebrate "real" Christmas..... most Thais just knows Coca Cola Christmas with Gifts, Santa Claus and Christmas Trees....

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people who are not as fortunate as yourself....

No it's not... Christmas is about getting presents and running up your credit card debt.. Will soon take off here.

Sure.. why not, Thai people like to celebrate and be marry, da hell with loss of days work and productivity,

let us take a long holiday, substitute days,bridge days, and this is how the country is going to the dogs

with household debts of 95% of the GDP... let us party and have fun, who care about tomorrow....

Sure.. why not, Thai people like to celebrate and be marry, da hell with loss of days work and productivity,

let us take a long holiday, substitute days,bridge days, and this is how the country is going to the dogs

with household debts of 95% of the GDP... let us party and have fun, who care about tomorrow....

You can't blame them in a way, given the ever increasing possibility that tomorrow will find you in a cell...

It took almost an hour to explain to my P3 students that Xmas is about giving and sharing, not receiving. Fell on deaf ears. sad.png

So, I organised donations to our local Soi Dog foundation and we made the largest contribution compared to all other classes. thumbsup.gif

Now they know what giving feels like. coffee1.gif

The new Thai lady said 'Christmas is next week. What are you going to buy me'?. I was like, 'I don't celebrate Christmas, I'm not religious'. She didn't believe me. She just thinks I'm cheap now. Maybe I'll just buy here a giant crucifix and nativity set as her gift.

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people

Sadly, most people in the west also do not know the real meaning of Christmas.

How Did Christmas Come to Be Celebrated on December 25?

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

"While Christmas is not a traditional Thai festival, our research into the buying habits of shoppers reveals that Thais are beginning to embrace this important time of year,"

However, making a profit for whatever reason is very traditional.

Edited by jaltsc

Christmas is a fraud that has become a horrible commercial bonanza for the retailers. One of the best things about living here is to get away from it, but I've noticed a growing presence in Thailand each year. Big shame!

I'm all for having holiday time at the end of each year for families to come together, but Christmas needs to be dropped outside of the church. The Christian marketing men took December 25th from the Pagans and now the agnostic/atheist marketing men have taken it from the Christians.

I wonder how many people, Christians included, still believe Jesus was born on December 25th!

How Did Christmas Come to Be Celebrated on December 25?

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

I'll drink to that.

Christmas is a fraud that has become a horrible commercial bonanza for the retailers. One of the best things about living here is to get away from it, but I've noticed a growing presence in Thailand each year. Big shame!

I'm all for having holiday time at the end of each year for families to come together, but Christmas needs to be dropped outside of the church. The Christian marketing men took December 25th from the Pagans and now the agnostic/atheist marketing men have taken it from the Christians.

I wonder how many people, Christians included, still believe Jesus was born on December 25th!

Bwian.

His name was Bwian.

Or Blian as they say in Isaan.

Edited by nidieunimaitre

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people

QUOTE: The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people

Your opinion is based on what exactly?

Even I am not sure what Christmas truly is (to everyone)...I can tell you what it is not, just by reading Thai Visa.

Eliminate what it is not, and the rest is the truth. I believe Sherlock said "eliminate the impossible and what remains is the truth".

So, I am reading this thread thoroughly. I do realize pagans celebrated on the same day...but, alas, Ceasar Augustus had also renumbered the calendar. I don't see any "Pagan-make-your-neighbor-bad-then-kill-him" day. Christmas is now (or should be) about Christ Mass. Why non-Christians celebrate it is a mystery. I suppose eating until you drop and squandering hard earned cash at the mall is a way to sabotage what it is really all about...

Never understood it myself..until I came here. We spent Christmas eve next to a campfire, high up in Nam Nao Pine forest. Just a blanket, and a bamboo mat. We had a full moon, and we gazed at the night sky. Really sorted things out.

Edited by slipperylobster

Why in the world do you believe your culture's transformation of the "true spirit" of Christmass holds some definition of the "true spirit" of Christmas and why in the world would you think it should apply to a different culture and country and one which is not remotely a Christian nation?!?!?!?

II. How Did Christmas Come to Be Celebrated on December 25?

A. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman. http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

It took almost an hour to explain to my P3 students that Xmas is about giving and sharing, not receiving. Fell on deaf ears. sad.png

So, I organised donations to our local Soi Dog foundation and we made the largest contribution compared to all other classes. thumbsup.gif

Now they know what giving feels like. coffee1.gif

Trying to explain to P3 students for over an hour - I bet the kids think you are the best teacher - poor little buggers

Bwian.

His name was Bwian.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" cheesy.gif

Bwian.

His name was Bwian.

And he wasn't the Son of God, he was a very naughty boy!

I dressed up as Santa yesterday at Central and I was shocked at how well Santa was received by all the Thais. Hell, I had a Muslim family trying to get their kid to sit on my lap. Pretty cool.

Steady now Mr Glitter.