Two new year U-turns .............

prk888

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ref NL's post #147

If anyone could help prepare a schematic / diagram representing the KK solution he ouitlined so i could take to City Hall Transport Dept. i would do so

Something i could print showing various angles/approaches would be great

Sadly my computer skills aren't up to that

PM me please if interested

Thanks in advance draw

also .............. on our racetrack there are often cars parked on the inside lane(s) north and southbound leaving in effect only 3 available lanes. In these pics looks like all 4 lanes are used with no kerbside parking. If our outside fast lane(s) were coned off for the U-turn then only 2 'free' effective traffic lanes.

Any thoughts? Ban all parking on that section ??? Ummmmmmm.

good stuff - thanks to all

Cant really see but how are cars handled when entering into a fast lane from exiting a U-turn ? Is it like a pit lane slip road in F1 ?

No extra provision for u-turning traffic to merge beyond all traffic from ahead being speed limited to 80 kph. I think the primary goal of preventing 2, 3 or even 4 vehicles turning simultaneously in echelon into a stream of traffic typically going over 100 kph is well served. You will have observed that when there are these 'formation' turning events, each useless bugger plants his foot and they fan out and race each other to see who's first while the traffic they are supposed to merge with slams on the brakes.

also .............. on our racetrack there are often cars parked on the inside lane(s) north and southbound leaving in effect only 3 available lanes. In these pics looks like all 4 lanes are used with no kerbside parking. If our outside fast lane(s) were coned off for the U-turn then only 2 'free' effective traffic lanes.

Any thoughts? Ban all parking on that section ??? Ummmmmmm.

I did mention in my original post that the KK expressway has separate 'feeder' lanes for slower, local traffic as it is much wider. You can see them in the photos posted earlier. However, I think that parking is prohibited even on these slow lanes. It would be logical to ban kerbside parking either side of these u-turns on Sukhumvit with the possible addition of a line of orange barriers to create a dedicated near-side 'slow' lane for the slow traffic such as those infernal vending trikes? But suggest it to the City Hall chaps anyway as I am sure it will be overlooked. That and my other suggestion that buses and trucks be prohibited from the 'fast' lane unless making a u-turn themselves.

the current very narrow & acute U-turn shapes should prohibit anything other than one vehicle trying to take the U-turns (but that wont stop them trying and causing chaos I suppose). so not really the same objective you mentioned as up in KK.

NL #158 - Just re-checked this morning and directly opposite both new U-turns short stretches of no-parking zones could be implemented as there are very few shops there either side BUT elsewhere the roadside shops etc would justifiably protest if no parking was implemented.

Who obeys 'no parking' rules anyway ?

KhunBENQ could you get any more close up pics of those turns up there ? Thanks

I am beginning to think that any approach to City hall would be to forget the whole idea and make us use the traffic lights either end (as we do now) .............. but then the Soi Wat Boon lights would need to be addressed & re-thought

​However nothing ventured etc etc

dammit I missed those morning BIB checks but it does make me wonder ........................... so many recent comments about the Wat Boon/Second Road roundabout on TVF and then suddenly we get huge new signs trying to explain how to use it.

Why would City Hall suddenly do that? Or maybe locals did them !

If Thais & others don't know how to use it then why would anyone ask and/or complain ?

Is anybody listening to this thread ............. ?

1030 Wednesday - massive tail-back on Suk northbound starting just south of the new U-turn.

White road painting work being done in centre lanes.

Anyone can see/read what's what ?

Maybe nothing but watch this space .......................

false alarm.

Seems like more (what are they called ?) ineffectual rumble strips

But why?

Nothing can make this race-track traffic slow down

I believe, it was a suggestion by some poster on a

different Forum cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Police can slow things down, but the chose not to.

Far better, to go for easy money collection days. wai2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

no real action for several weeks except having seen several bemused motorcyclists trying to use the U-turns trying to edge back into the fast outside lane.

Certainly an 'iffy' manoeuvre.

• 2 weeks later...

a solution in sight ?

motor cyclists are now also doing their U-turns over the smallish cleared central reservation between the two, new, still closed U-turns

Of course they are still using the cleared redundant & blocked central reservation on the old U-turn.

At least cars are still prohibited which is saving lives

• 3 weeks later...

So its now almost 6 months since work on these commenced.

Haven't noticed motorcyclists using the new unopened U-turns recently. The heavy concrete barriers still not been moved as is the norm when needs must.(i.e. a desirous short cut)

Maybe these local guys now also see the real dangers of using them.

Fingers still crossed

But wait.......

Yet another stunning piece of town planning & traffic calming has just been unveiled

I almost got cleaned up by a coach here late this afternoon!!!

Check out intersection /traffic lights opposite the BMW dealership on Sukhumvit Road (the road turning off to Silver lake)

The new bitumen is laid , the artistic yellow lines marking out a traffic island with the obligatory bump markers BUT some one forgot to remove 3 power lines - now stuck in what now looks like almost the middle of the road

The power lines create a 7-8ft chicane which cars (let alone) coaches cannot pass without entering into the oncoming traffic lane

The new pedestrian crossing without any stop or go lights (or adequate night time illumination) right on the corner (you can turn left from Suk into this road at any time) is amazing

The BMW dealership would do great service to set up a first aid service - the carnage is eminent!!!

Khun Custard's BMW post & description beggars belief and without being too far off topic here's another.

We live off Soi 89 dark-side. Check out the artistic, yellow-line-spaghetti design joining Soi 89 and soi 87 heading east. Mind boggling indeed

Maybe the new U-turns will also get some yellow stuff eventually slopped around

Khun Custard's BMW post & description beggars belief and without being too far off topic here's another.

We live off Soi 89 dark-side. Check out the artistic, yellow-line-spaghetti design joining Soi 89 and soi 87 heading east. Mind boggling indeed

Maybe the new U-turns will also get some yellow stuff eventually slopped around

Yes, Thai workmanship at it's best. I drive through it every day, it's amazing there aren't more accidents there.

keeping this thread in the public eye ................. drivers do watch out for VERY slow motorcycles now emerging from these blocked off U-turns into or across the very fast outer lanes

• 4 weeks later...

overnight messages now painted on the solid concrete barriers in large red characters

I do hope they say "Please keep these U-turns closed"

Can anyone passing and can read Thai enlighten us ?

thanks for that ,

But it is a very strange message to be written on concrete barriers in U-turns on Sukhumvit. However I'm sure your translation as an intelligent man is correct.

so 24 hours later have the messages been cleaned ? Or if still there what do they say ?

There was no writing on the barriers when I drove past yesterday 15th May 2016...they had been painted white so yes looks like they where "cleaned"