Two new year U-turns .............

prk888

It will only be a matter of time before some moron going south toward Jomtien uses the U-Turn for a " go fast " into either UWW, or macro, and a huge accident will occur.

A much safer bet, is to go little further down the south carriageway and use the lights at next intersection ( Wat boon )

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, welcome to Pattaya traffic solution. Years ago they closed up the U-turns for beautification purposes. Now they create new ones because they realized there weren't any? Now they put it right in front of Makro, so as noted anyone wanting to go to Makro holds up all the traffic because they need to shoot straight across and if they do not need to go to Makro, they still hold up all the traffic because no one ever taught them how to Merge into traffic. Another revolving stupidity decision.

In this case they closed the existing U turn that was near under water world due to the number of deaths there over the years, nothing to do with beautification.

Funny, welcome to Pattaya traffic solution. Years ago they closed up the U-turns for beautification purposes. Now they create new ones because they realized there weren't any? Now they put it right in front of Makro, so as noted anyone wanting to go to Makro holds up all the traffic because they need to shoot straight across and if they do not need to go to Makro, they still hold up all the traffic because no one ever taught them how to Merge into traffic. Another revolving stupidity decision.

In this case they closed the existing U turn that was near under water world due to the number of deaths there over the years, nothing to do with beautification.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree, that is what you are quoting from what you read based on what a Thai official said or claimed.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree, that is what you are quoting from what you read based on what a Thai official said or claimed.

Based on the numbers, considering that I had traveled south past the old U turn at least 3 times per week for the past 5 years; the comment on deaths and injuries come as no surprise.

In the past there was a constant issue with motor bikes, cars and specially sidecars who U turned (origin was heading towards Pattaya) to then cross diagonally to the Soi with the 7/11 on the corner.

Plenty of white paint noticed over the years and I had witnessed at least 3 serious crashes.

If you navigated that section of road without incident then the traffic coming out of the 7/11 Soi (among the cars double parked often leaving only 2.5 lanes to get past) was the next challenge

But this was one of many traffic choke points that need to be addressed!!

Perhaps the fair city needs to appoint a representation of foreigners living in Pattaya to act as a committee to advise on these things.

At worst, we can be our own scapegoats on our own forum!! :-)

Nope, you are wrong again, just so you know, the U turn at Underwater World was only closed a couple of months ago.... absolutely nothing to do with beautification, as i already said earlier it was due to the huge number of deaths there, the last one being a foreigner which got a lot of coverage in the media.

I live a real life so i certainly do not quote or read what anybody in Thai oficialdom might say, and i used to live in Soi Tungklom Tanman so i do have first hand knowledge of that particular area and the ammount of deaths there.

But i am guessing the facts don't fit in with your bitter need to bash.

Are you talking about the one that was near the floating market? I don't remember one at Underwater World....

Underwater world is near Makro, so that's the U-turn that was closed recently. It was already a deathtrap at that time, since most of the users had to cross all those lanes in a very short distance to enter Makro, and by moving it closer to Makro now they have only elevated the problem

I almost nailed a scooter there several years ago. They went from the slow lane to the fast lane quickly and didn't see me on the other side of a big truck in the fast lane. Lock all 4 wheels and missed him by inches. 2 on a scooter, no helmets and never looked back. Even with the screeching tires!

Nope, you are wrong again, just so you know, the U turn at Underwater World was only closed a couple of months ago.... absolutely nothing to do with beautification, as i already said earlier it was due to the huge number of deaths there, the last one being a foreigner which got a lot of coverage in the media.

I live a real life so i certainly do not quote or read what anybody in Thai oficialdom might say, and i used to live in Soi Tungklom Tanman so i do have first hand knowledge of that particular area and the ammount of deaths there.

What part of agree to disagree that you do not understand? People like you whenever anyone does not agree or you don't like what you hear it all comes down to bashing. A number of years ago there were a number of turn out on Sukhumvit in that area, they fill them in with a island and trees because they did not like traffic on the far right lane to be held up, held up because drivers here never were educated how to actually make a right turn ( which is start a turn on the right finish to the right) but instead drivers here do not know how to merge and wait and dart out to the middle to execute a simple turn. Years ago when they were paving Sukhumvit, from all the way down to Banglamung they basically filled in all the turns out in the center islands. There use to be one just off Pattaya Tai and another just off Theppasit, it goes on and on down Sukhumvit. As mentioned in earlier post they did this right in front of the Jomtien market ( Immigration ) and throughout Thappaya. What they like to do here when it comes to traffic is direct it down to the next major intersection or light. The theory of out of sight out of mind is their traffic congestion solution. Look around Pattaya on Sukhumvit whenever the traffic get heavy they come out and close off major Soi like Pattaya Tai, Theppasit and send them down your way!

In the case you are citing U-turn by doing the above it brought all the traffic down to that point... all the traffic.. Take not knowing how to actually make a proper turn and not understand how to merge with the impatient drivers, red light runners you got a bunch of accidents but it should be noted accidents don't just happen at this location it is going on throughout Pattaya.

Based on the numbers, considering that I had traveled south past the old U turn at least 3 times per week for the past 5 years; the comment on deaths and injuries come as no surprise.

In the past there was a constant issue with motor bikes, cars and specially sidecars who U turned (origin was heading towards Pattaya) to then cross diagonally to the Soi with the 7/11 on the corner.

Plenty of white paint noticed over the years and I had witnessed at least 3 serious crashes.

If you navigated that section of road without incident then the traffic coming out of the 7/11 Soi (among the cars double parked often leaving only 2.5 lanes to get past) was the next challenge

But this was one of many traffic choke points that need to be addressed!!

Perhaps the fair city needs to appoint a representation of foreigners living in Pattaya to act as a committee to advise on these things.

At worst, we can be our own scapegoats on our own forum!! :-)

I basically travel down Sukhumvit everyday and late at night so I know exactly what you are talking about at the 7/11 around Soi 89, I also use to have coffee at a Cafe off Soi Siam Country with a number of BIB, got to listening and talking to them about traffic and accident. One of them is a top Traffic officer in Nongprue Banglamung and if he is any indication sitting down and advising on traffic issue is a waste of time. Personally they couldn't give a shit ass what we think they are so hype on their patriotism that anything coming from a Farang is nothing but hot air. And this opinion comes from over forty years of dealing with the Department of Transportation in the States. You speak they smiled and behind your back they speak dirt. Maybe if the new doesn't and the traffic gets heavier they will dig a tunnel or build a flyover that seems to be the in thing solution these days.

What part of agree to disagree that you do not understand? People like you whenever anyone does not agree or you don't like what you hear it all comes down to bashing. A number of years ago there were a number of turn out on Sukhumvit in that area, they fill them in with a island and trees because they did not like traffic on the far right lane to be held up, held up because drivers here never were educated how to actually make a right turn ( which is start a turn on the right finish to the right) but instead drivers here do not know how to merge and wait and dart out to the middle to execute a simple turn. Years ago when they were paving Sukhumvit, from all the way down to Banglamung they basically filled in all the turns out in the center islands. There use to be one just off Pattaya Tai and another just off Theppasit, it goes on and on down Sukhumvit. As mentioned in earlier post they did this right in front of the Jomtien market ( Immigration ) and throughout Thappaya. What they like to do here when it comes to traffic is direct it down to the next major intersection or light. The theory of out of sight out of mind is their traffic congestion solution. Look around Pattaya on Sukhumvit whenever the traffic get heavy they come out and close off major Soi like Pattaya Tai, Theppasit and send them down your way!

In the case you are citing U-turn by doing the above it brought all the traffic down to that point... all the traffic.. Take not knowing how to actually make a proper turn and not understand how to merge with the impatient drivers, red light runners you got a bunch of accidents but it should be noted accidents don't just happen at this location it is going on throughout Pattaya.

So now you are saying the U turns were filled in for traffic management and not beautification, now you are correct.

So now you are saying the U turns were filled in for traffic management and not beautification, now you are correct.

Hey if it makes your New Year better knock yourself out! I would not call what they do as traffic manageament, traffic management is making it better which here they don't whatsoever. I would give them some credit when they knock down the old U-Turn, they do a good beautification job making it look as if they ever had it there.

just noticed (04.01.16) that there are formal yellow traffic signs indicating NO U-TURN for both the new U-turns (along with the large concrete blocking dividers). So wonder what's happening now?

Also some lovely heavy skid marks (wait for it .........) on north-bound lanes leading right into the southerly new north-bound U-turn (OK?). Did a biggun mistake the south-bound U-turn he actually wanted?

Watch this space ..........................

The whole stretch from the Theprassit lights running south to just beyond the Floating Market is a dangerous drag strip. The long, straight stretch on the Mitrapharb Highway 2 north of Kohn Kaen was very similar with frequent wrecks when vehicles using the many breaks in the median to make u-turns were either getting rear-ended or t-boned when coming out of the turn. Initially they painted yellow chevrons on the pavement on the outermost, right hand side (fast) lanes to indicate that these were for TURNING traffic only and NOT for fast, straight through traffic. That didn't work too well so now the whole stretch is under 24-hour radar and camera surveillance with a posted 80 kph speed limit and fresh yellow paint on the road. Judging by the speed of the locals, that restriction is enforced. I reckon the same idea would work on the treacherous stretch which is the subject of this post. That and limiting buses to the nearside 2 lanes only. Similar to the road north out of KK, they could also consider configuring the nearside lanes as feeder lanes with a hard median (with no breaks) to separate that from the 'fast' lanes. Local traffic and ALL motorbikes can use them ONLY.

just noticed (04.01.16) that there are formal yellow traffic signs indicating NO U-TURN for both the new U-turns (along with the large concrete blocking dividers). So wonder what's happening now?

Also some lovely heavy skid marks (wait for it .........) on north-bound lanes leading right into the southerly new north-bound U-turn (OK?). Did a biggun mistake the south-bound U-turn he actually wanted?

My guess is that the concrete blocks wil be removed when 7 out of the 365 dangerous days have passed. I think the old u-turn was also blocked during the massacre days.

The whole stretch from the Theprassit lights running south to just beyond the Floating Market is a dangerous drag strip. The long, straight stretch on the Mitrapharb Highway 2 north of Kohn Kaen was very similar with frequent wrecks when vehicles using the many breaks in the median to make u-turns were either getting rear-ended or t-boned when coming out of the turn. Initially they painted yellow chevrons on the pavement on the outermost, right hand side (fast) lanes to indicate that these were for TURNING traffic only and NOT for fast, straight through traffic. That didn't work too well so now the whole stretch is under 24-hour radar and camera surveillance with a posted 80 kph speed limit and fresh yellow paint on the road. Judging by the speed of the locals, that restriction is enforced. I reckon the same idea would work on the treacherous stretch which is the subject of this post. That and limiting buses to the nearside 2 lanes only. Similar to the road north out of KK, they could also consider configuring the nearside lanes as feeder lanes with a hard median (with no breaks) to separate that from the 'fast' lanes. Local traffic and ALL motorbikes can use them ONLY.

Why not find a convenient nearby junction and stick in a big roundabout, everyone has to slow down, people can turn round if they want to and some really lucky ones get to make their right turn without needing a 2 km detour to the next u-turn like they usually do!

Think how much less traffic there would be on the road if everyone's journey was shortened by the extra kilometres needed every day making these absurdly dangerous u-turns.

ROUNDABOUTS......my answer to half Thailand's traffic problems. The other half? Get rid of half the baht buses!

I go through that new roundabout on Jomtien 2nd road several times a week. I rarely see any obeying the rules. Just jump right in. Not well built and very dangerous. Traffic lights would be much better.

As for baht buses, spot on!!!! Get buses with regular routes and bring in REAL metered taxis!

To replace u-turns with a large roundabout on this fast stretch of road , would not solve accident problems, Thai's do not know how to use a roundabout, and they are not road marked/ signed well. a roundabout controlled by traffic lights may work, but the lights would get switched off and then back to the 'Thai's don't know how to use roundabouts'.

Intended to use the new U-turn a few days back. Was heading south but needed to go to Lotus so moved into the U-turn lane, then saw the blocks!! Luckily there was no-one behind me so was able to head back into the outside lane - but not without using a few expletives!!

So, used the U-turn at the lights and headed north. Was in the outside lane and could see the brake lights of a vehicle just ahead of me that had to take avoiding action from a car having to quickly exit the new U-turn lane having just seen the blocks.

What a bunch of idiots in charge of traffic management. Is it any wonder that traffic accidents are off the chart in Thailand!!

To replace u-turns with a large roundabout on this fast stretch of road , would not solve accident problems, Thai's do not know how to use a roundabout, and they are not road marked/ signed well. a roundabout controlled by traffic lights may work, but the lights would get switched off and then back to the 'Thai's don't know how to use roundabouts'.

I agree. thumbsup.gif

Using a roundabout requires a continual thought process.

making many speed, angle, directional, timing adjustments, on the fly as they say

This is unachievable by most in Thailand.

Roundabouts are doomed from the start.

But they are entertaining to watch if your board. thumbsup.gif

Anyone not sure, go sit at the one on Jomtien second road for 30 minutes, all understanding will become crystal clear very quickly . wai2.gif

I agree. thumbsup.gif

making many speed, angle, directional, timing adjustments, on the fly as they say

Anyone not sure, go sit at the one on Jomtien second road for 30 minutes, all understanding will become crystal clear very quickly . wai2.gif

What a great response and indeed sums up the continuation of the problem. If the Thais can't use them TEACH them how to use them. The jomtien 2nd road one is a prime example of doing half a job and it still moves the traffic far better than a traffic light which keeps people needlessly at a standstill for 2 minutes or so. Roundabouts in Thailand are a mystery to the locals so when one is installed why on earth don't they accompany them with the necessary signage explaining how they should be used? Not surprising the 'Thai's don't know how to use them' if no-one even attempts to tell them how.

I agree. thumbsup.gif

What a great response and indeed sums up the continuation of the problem. If the Thais can't use them TEACH them how to use them. The jomtien 2nd road one is a prime example of doing half a job and it still moves the traffic far better than a traffic light which keeps people needlessly at a standstill for 2 minutes or so. Roundabouts in Thailand are a mystery to the locals so when one is installed why on earth don't they accompany them with the necessary signage explaining how they should be used? Not surprising the 'Thai's don't know how to use them' if no-one even attempts to tell them how.

Signage! What a great idea.

Now, based on the premise that most of these buggers can actually read...

I agree. thumbsup.gif

Signage! What a great idea.

Now, based on the premise that most of these buggers can actually read...

That is actually why mankind invented signs, for those that can't read smile.png

the southbound, yellow formal "no U-turn" sign is now obscured by foliage!

No sign of concrete blocks being removed yet and we are into working day 3 of the new year

What does go on in these heads in City Hall I wonder

Archived