Two new year U-turns .............

prk888

Apart from a solitary palm tree, it looks like the back hoe leveled the middle island between the two new, narrow u-turns to kerb height. The concrete blocks remain in place. Maybe a sop to addressing how badly a turning drivers sight is hampered by the arbitrary prettyfication of the median. Worst case could be a precursor to removing the central island completely, thus making the new u-turns usable by buses and trucks from both directions with the inevitable results.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drove past and agree with NanLaew (#91) that a new large U-turn just like the old one that you will recall was closed many believe because it was dangerous could be the outcome. But this time it is opposite MAKRO !

Northbound has sets of huge bright red, white-ribbed asphalt squares covering the two outside fast lanes and southbound these sets of huge red, white-ribbed squares cover three Sattahip facing lanes

I have to guess what they are supposed to achieve other than to shake false teeth

Maybe it's to tell coaches and the 16-wheeler artics. the actual point from where to start their planned U-turns

As Thai drivers generally dont see red colour on the roads (viz traffic lights) these may not do anything to increase safety

However all this work has been done within 15 hours of the dignitary's visit

Now if bridge tables plus decks of cards were found on the red squares this sorry saga could have gone viral also

I think there was a backhoe doing something there when I went by yesterday around noon.

(Once again we see the result of the usual Thai methods of job appointment and promotion, especially in all levels of gov't -- nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism -- the unqualified wasting more money and more time, as well as creating frustration and inefficiency.)

Are that will be three of the corner stones of society,

im sure there are more !!!!!!!!!!gigglem.gif

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Hit the rumble strips at normal speed in Thailand 140 +

wont even notice there were there. crazy.gif

Amazing Thailand.

Would have thought they would have cut more of the central strip away

so traffic had some chance to get up to a speed to join the carriageway. ?

even that would not help the large vehicles turning.

its just a cluster !"@x as per norm.

leave it closed go to U-turn at lights down the road, you lazy dangerous people of Thailand. bah.gif

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

leave it closed go to U-turn at lights down the road, you lazy dangerous people of Thailand. bah.gif

The U-turn at Soi Wat Boon is now a disaster. I saw 3 lanes blocked as all were trying to turn there. Lovely....another disaster waiting to happen.

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

The U-turn at Soi Wat Boon is now a disaster. I saw 3 lanes blocked as all were trying to turn there. Lovely....another disaster waiting to happen.

At least there is some traffic control at Watboon junction, as opposed to none at the the two U-turn by Makro, so what's the answer ? whistling.gif

Utuns at Lights at watboon could be traffic light controlled ?

almost saw a biggun yesterday morning. Three south bound lanes doing u-turns at the soi Wat Boon lights and therefore cutting directly across those trying to do a simple right turn into soi Wat Boon. just awful !

almost saw a biggun yesterday morning. Three south bound lanes doing u-turns at the soi Wat Boon lights and therefore cutting directly across those trying to do a simple right turn into soi Wat Boon. just awful !

In Thailand they should position a police sniper at every traffic light

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

Any u-turn enabling traffic light is a nightmare at certain times. But with this one, there's enough signage to indicate that the rightmost lane is for u-turns and right turns ONLY and the other designated turning lanes for right turn ONLY. But there's always the impatient ones that want to do the u-turn from the latter lanes and balls it up for all. A bit like the numpties that insist on being in the rightmost lane coming out of Tai at Sukhumvit when their intent is to go ahead and try and squeeze down that narrow temple entrance soi almost opposite. When you combine that with a u-turner coming from the south on Sukhumvit... well...

The key is to do your Makro shopping at times when the roads are quieter. In fact, save ANY Sukhumvit excursions for those periods... and stay home ALL weekend.

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

Any u-turn enabling traffic light is a nightmare at certain times. But with this one, there's enough signage to indicate that the rightmost lane is for u-turns and right turns ONLY and the other designated turning lanes for right turn ONLY. But there's always the impatient ones that want to do the u-turn from the latter lanes and balls it up for all. A bit like the numpties that insist on being in the rightmost lane coming out of Tai at Sukhumvit when their intent is to go ahead and try and squeeze down that narrow temple entrance soi almost opposite. When you combine that with a u-turner coming from the south on Sukhumvit... well...

The key is to do your Makro shopping at times when the roads are quieter. In fact, save ANY Sukhumvit excursions for those periods... and stay home ALL weekend.

In that case then.

Put the lot back as it was in the first place. .facepalm.gif

Same Same but different

TIT

Something going on yesterday, looks like they are putting in the thin 'Rumble Strips" across the road that are painted red, to get you to slow down, maybe as a precursor to opening the U turn again?

With the amount of traffic in Sukhumvit those will be worn flat in a couple of months. Not that they'll work even when new.

Ha Ha .

What a laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

Sukhumvit was ok at 9am this morning!! But I would never bother after midday at weekends.

What is also happening is cars in the right hand lane wanting to turn right, blocking the U turn for others, when the Wat Boon lights are green, especially as there are a lot more U turns now.

why does the u-turn work at Chyapuke and not at watboon ?

Or are we exaggerating a bit ?

i see congestion all the way down the Sukhumvet at certain times of the day, or days of the week.

is it time for a roundabouts on the Sukhumvet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

that was a joke thumbsup.gif

from my frequent experience it's generally only the northbound buses/coaches that U-turn in front of cars wanting to turn right (east) into Chaiyapruk. Lights been there longer, no traffic system changes and so more discipline ?

those dozen pretty new red & white rumbly thingees make not a jot of difference . Cruising at 80kph both north & southbound today most traffic was flying by and over them regardless. Not one vehicle slowed. What a surprise.

so we all dislike the rumble strips but Craig did they slow you down as intended ? Or just shake the teeth?

They might slow you onemorechange (#110) on a motorbike but they are not on the inside lane, just the outer three so be extra careful.

so we all dislike the rumble strips but Craig did they slow you down as intended ? Or just shake the teeth?

They might slow you onemorechange (#110) on a motorbike but they are not on the inside lane, just the outer three so be extra careful.

This time, just shook the teeth! LOL Next time, if I remember, I might slow down a bit, but they aren't big enough to do that. Just make a noise and shake the car a bit. Perhaps good for alerting drivers to turns in the road, but on that stretch, most slow for nothing.

Traffic was quite low today. Went from N. Pattaya road to Huay Yai at 1pm. Made a few lights in a row, and was in #1 or 2 position at several others. Near the floating market, I was blown down by 2 cars going at least 140km. Followed by a Ducati. 5555

At Soi Wat Boon, I saw a maniac do the right hand turn from the 3rd lane at speed. Tires screeching. Trying to cut in front of everybody else.

What's (#110) ?

duuhhhhh .................... post @110 top right hand corner of a post

This time, just shook the teeth! LOL Next time, if I remember, I might slow down a bit, but they aren't big enough to do that. Just make a noise and shake the car a bit. Perhaps good for alerting drivers to turns in the road, but on that stretch, most slow for nothing.

Traffic was quite low today. Went from N. Pattaya road to Huay Yai at 1pm. Made a few lights in a row, and was in #1 or 2 position at several others. Near the floating market, I was blown down by 2 cars going at least 140km. Followed by a Ducati. 5555

At Soi Wat Boon, I saw a maniac do the right hand turn from the 3rd lane at speed. Tires screeching. Trying to cut in front of everybody else.

yes the absence of any U-turn currently puts noticeably far greater traffic pressure on the Wat Boon lights

Unless you are in a utility or a 4x4, I'd assume that the average sedan car driver would not have a clear line of sight to the oncoming traffic of more than 20m or so due to the height of the landscape??

As the usual speed in this section is up in the +80KPH the crashes and carnage will now be a lot more spectacular

I guess the one good thing is the U turns seem so tight that articulated trucks will not be attempting to use it??

De"chai" vous?

Drove past this afternoon and seems there has been no real progress; lowering the landscape, paint by number\dribble strips are still not addressing the real issue.

Looking back on my humble offering NO. 17 on this thread (above) position your self at the head of the queue (going either direction) and your view will still be partially or totally blocked by cars lined up on the other U turn.

The only solution is overhead U turns bridges - the ones you see on all other arterial road ways in this country

Unless you are in a utility or a 4x4, I'd assume that the average sedan car driver would not have a clear line of sight to the oncoming traffic of more than 20m or so due to the height of the landscape??

As the usual speed in this section is up in the +80KPH the crashes and carnage will now be a lot more spectacular

I guess the one good thing is the U turns seem so tight that articulated trucks will not be attempting to use it??

De"chai" vous?

Drove past this afternoon and seems there has been no real progress; lowering the landscape, paint by number\dribble strips are still not addressing the real issue.

Looking back on my humble offering NO. 17 on this thread (above) position your self at the head of the queue (going either direction) and your view will still be partially or totally blocked by cars lined up on the other U turn.

The only solution is overhead U turns bridges - the ones you see on all other arterial road ways in this country

Or roundabouts!!!

The old U-turn was about 200m north of Wat Boon lights. Anyone wanting to U-turn typically got into the outside lane early (even from the lights) and drove relatively slowly. Vehicles behind were therefore aware and anticipated

We had supper from 5.30 - 6.30 tonight on Suk. west side opposite FORD Suk. east side about 400m north of the Wat Boon lights.

I had the chance just to observe for one hour.

The new U-turns are maybe 1km north of the lights (just near MAKRO). Plenty of distance & time to race through the gears

Traffic was manic - no other word.

Fast fast fast like a race track all desperate to getaway from the Wat Boon lights and be first at the Tesco lights.

And so many coaches racing north the majority in the 2 outside fast lanes

These U-turns if ever opened will be a criminal act and an unforgivable folly

PLEASE local dwellers now erect another sign and plead for them never to be opened in order to save lives.

And I am one of many who are inconvenienced by the closure of the old U-turn;

Criminal in my view

Archived