Best Wiring from DSLAM to ADSL modem?

cigar7

In a condo, what is the proper wire or cable to use from the condo main distribution panel or DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer) to the condo room ADSL modem? The run is about 70 meters.

Normally it is the telephone cable. However the telephone cables in the condo are very old, some have decayed and are generally poor quality. So I want to replace the telephone cable from the condo telephone distribution room to the room. I have been told the wire should be solid copper core 24 AWG gauge minimum, and can be un-shielded twisted pair (UTP), and to be on the safe side, run 2 pairs. The telephone cable used in the condo is NOT twisted pair but is just 2 straight wires.

Recommendations?

Normally, in a condo, you would not have a DSLAM onsite, only an MDP (Main Distribution Panel). The DSLAM would be located at the nearest RCU. In any case, you are correct that you would be better off to run twisted pair cable to your unit. At the condo where I used to live, I bought the cable and the resident maintenance guy ran it from my unit to the MDP.

You better tell condo management if you intend replacement this is not the type of work done by self or outside staff.

Yes, condo management would be fully aware since they'll need to give me access to the wiring closets and wire distribution rooms, DSLAM location. From what I have seen, I'll be using better wire and doing a better job than the guy that has been replacing the telephone cable for other rooms. He is using the same old stuff originally installed - 2 wire straight cable - not twisted looks like about 2x0.5mm