Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

20 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

So true, so many insist on the hardway.  One neighbor has been here thirty years and always made a day of it.  I finally gave him my old envelope and told him there was really no need to suffer...he finally did it, told me it worked like a charm.  Another guy in his 80s is more the morning warrior type.  I finally convinced him to go at 15:00.  Saw him the other day...."was in and out in five minutes.". 

I've nothing but time being retired and for many years got much enjoyment out of visiting Immigration for the 90 day report. The only unpleasant thing about Thailand is bumping into the farang beefers I'd otherwise managed to leave behind in the states. Then I married a beautiful Thai lady and moved a bit south so switched to the mail in option. I know people who have used the mail in option for 15 years as they live a great distance out. They've never had a problem, nor have I.  I think the really important question ought to be, "Has anyone, ever, had a problem with the mailing in option or with getting the TM47 receipt back in a reasonable period of time? " Well, anybody? 

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, evenstevens said:

,as for the mailing system you are not in control of your own destiny,

Yeh, I never use the Post Office anymore, always hand deliver to protect my destiny.  Also never do business with anyone who uses the post office, the risks are just too grande.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

I've nothing but time being retired and for many years got much enjoyment out of visiting Immigration for the 90 day report. The only unpleasant thing about Thailand is bumping into the farang beefers I'd otherwise managed to leave behind in the states. Then I married a beautiful Thai lady and moved a bit south so switched to the mail in option. I know people who have used the mail in option for 15 years as they live a great distance out. They've never had a problem, nor have I.  I think the really important question ought to be, "Has anyone, ever, had a problem with the mailing in option or with getting the TM47 receipt back in a reasonable period of time? " Well, anybody? 

Yes, I had a problem the only time I tried the mail-in option.  It tracked by the post office to delivery at Immigration.  I didn't get anything back. I went on the last day it could be done to the office (this was years ago) and I was told I had to do the report that day. I ended up standing in line for quite some time in the sun.

I now either use an agent or the online option.  No complaints from me about doing it this way. 

What gets me is the people that use the mail option thinking they are somehow smarter than other people.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 2

Can someone tell me if the 30 day extensions of a visa waivers being turned into 7 days in Chiang Mai is accurate?

Some websites write:

What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-visa-rules-explained/

In my understanding this only happens if the extension is refused for some reason to give you some time to leave the country.

21 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I dont consider myself smarter than other people because I have been doing 90 day reporting by mail for 17 years without a problem. 

I just have better things to do with my meagre savings than give it a to an agent or trekking  out to Promenada.

You are just basing your opinion on one isolated incident and others are paranoid about using what I have always found to be a very efficient Government department.

We all have choices nothing about feeling superior

Thank you Sparkies, well said. Let me ask, if you don't mind, how many days before the date on the last TM47 stub do you mail your form? I've never been too clear on the deadline. I give it at least 15 days, but maybe I'm being too cautious. If I lived closer I'd probably go in person as I used to do, but it's a long day from here. . . 

Cusanus,

You asked if anyone had a problem with mail-in - I answered that I did.  I then commented on how I do the reports now.  Of course my comment was on 1 instance - mine!

There are some people that make comments about why everyone does not mail-in.  Obviously not all the people that mail-in are that way.

2 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Cusanus,

You asked if anyone had a problem with mail-in - I answered that I did.  I then commented on how I do the reports now.  Of course my comment was on 1 instance - mine!

There are some people that make comments about why everyone does not mail-in.  Obviously not all the people that mail-in are that way.

Yeah, I saw your answer, which Sparkie addressed adequately. I don't know any of those people,. I enjoyed going in person for years and some of them have been disappointed since I've gone mail, but it's a long trip these last several years and indeed the PO service is reliable. . 

22 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Yeah, I saw your answer, which Sparkie addressed adequately. I don't know any of those people,. I enjoyed going in person for years and some of them have been disappointed since I've gone mail, but it's a long trip these last several years and indeed the PO service is reliable. . 

As mentioned, I check the online option with enough time remaining.  If it is working it is certainly the easiest, and the last times I have used it the fastest.  If it doesn't work I find an alternative.  I just don't need the headache I HAD again.  

5 hours ago, cusanus said:

Thank you Sparkies, well said. Let me ask, if you don't mind, how many days before the date on the last TM47 stub do you mail your form? I've never been too clear on the deadline. I give it at least 15 days, but maybe I'm being too cautious. If I lived closer I'd probably go in person as I used to do, but it's a long day from here. . . 

I note on my yearly calendar and then send it between 15 to 12 days remaining.Its 99% back within 4 working days.5 mins to the PO office for me as against a 30 min drive to Promenada.

I've done both EMS and Registered there and back, max 50 baht.

Theres some misconception, among some, that you send you passport, well you dont EVER as the pinned topic above explains

17 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I note on my yearly calendar and then send it between 15 to 12 days remaining.Its 99% back within 4 working days.5 mins to the PO office for me as against a 30 min drive to Promenada.

I've done both EMS and Registered there and back, max 50 baht.

Theres some misconception, among some, that you send you passport, well you dont EVER as the pinned topic above explains

THANKS! Sorry, Sparkles, not Sparkies. That's been my experience. I do believe you have to send a COPY of your passport, or the relevant pages. I keep an updated PDF copy by scanning the return receipt or other changes and replacing those pages in the PDF, then just print when needed, also keep that on Google Drive in case I'm in a bind without a passport. Some don't have a PC but a copy service works. I also print out a preprinted (copy) of the filled in TM47 and just sign it before sending. Online could be better yes, but most of the time it hasn't been working it seems for Chiang Mai.  EMS seems best, no problems. If I were in Chiang Mai, I'd go in person as I enjoy going in to Promenada and seeing familiar faces. 

Edited by cusanus

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

THANKS! Sorry, Sparkles, not Sparkies. That's been my experience. I do believe you have to send a COPY of your passport, or the relevant pages. I keep an updated PDF copy by scanning the return receipt or other changes and replacing those pages in the PDF, then just print when needed, also keep that on Google Drive in case I'm in a bind without a passport. Some don't have a PC but a copy service works. I also print out a preprinted (copy) of the filled in TM47 and just sign it before sending. Online could be better yes, but most of the time it hasn't been working it seems for Chiang Mai.  EMS seems best, no problems. If I were in Chiang Mai, I'd go in person as I enjoy going in to Promenada and seeing familiar faces. 

Registered out 3 baht stamp back also works fine. Can confirm receipt of registered package online and immigration just give the sae/ receipt of notification to the postman that does the collection at Promenada.

Today did my retirement extension at Promenada, I arrives at 7:00AM there were 16 people ahead of me. Numbers were handed out at 9:00 and I was told to report back at 1 :00PM. It appeared they do about 20 to 22 per day. I saw a man

with # 21. Returned at 1:00 PM and they called number 11. Average time was about 20 minutes per extension. The officer was very efficient and personable, my wife and I chatted and joked with him while he processed the paperwork.

we were out the door by 2:30. Overall a pain free process as long as all paperwork is ready as per the handout. Multiple announcements on the PA as to what is needed and people on hand to answer questions.

The only other long line in the morning was for 90 day reporting about 35 people by 9:00. At 1:00 I saw nobody at the 90 day desk so maybe best to plan an afternoon visit for 90 day reporting. Also if you need a Residence certificate from the second floor they are handing out appointments a week from now for the free certificate with a 2 week wait after that, but offered the next day service downstairs in room #7 next to the copy/photo shop for 500Baht. So plan accordingly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aguda said:

I arrives at 7:00AM there were 16 people ahead of me. Numbers were handed out at 9:00 and I was told to report back at 1 :00PM. It appeared they do about 20 to 22 per day. I saw a man

with # 21. Returned at 1:00 PM and they called number 11. Average time was about 20 minutes per extension. The officer was very efficient and personable, my wife and I chatted and joked with him while he processed the paperwork.

we were out the door by 2:30. Overall a pain free process as long as all paperwork is ready as per the handout.

So you spent Seven and a half hours at Prom, plus travelling time to and from Prom,  to do what I do in about One Hour via a quick visit to the local agent and a drive out to prom for a 15 min visit, and you call your trip a 'pain free' process. (if you have the "paperwork is ready as per the handout" which changes at the whim of the Prom/Imm officials.)

As long as you "non agent" people paint Prom and Imm as all Rosie and Spice nothing will change.  My time is my money or vice versa!

Either complain or join the real world .

23 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So you spent Seven and a half hours at Prom, plus travelling time to and from Prom,  to do what I do in about One Hour via a quick visit to the local agent and a drive out to prom for a 15 min visit, and you call your trip a 'pain free' process. (if you have the "paperwork is ready as per the handout" which changes at the whim of the Prom/Imm officials.)

As long as you "non agent" people paint Prom and Imm as all Rosie and Spice nothing will change.  My time is my money or vice versa!

Yes, if they've set up a system to book appointments to apply for a Cert. of Residency, then surely they can set up a system to book appointments for retirement and marriage extensions.  Doesn't have to be an online system, can be a "paper and pencil" system like they've done with the "free" Cert. of Residency application process.

Instead, Imm. makes tweaks and minor changes (like moving the agents out of the morning queue and giving them their own Imm. officer), but are still keeping the annual extension process as something that takes six or more hours to do, when you consider the time someone is compelled to arrive at Prom. in the morning.  It's designed to make the services of the visa agents look attractive.

It's definitely something that is worth complaining about.  Doesn't take this long to apply for a new driver's license, pay taxes or do other basic gov't services in Thailand.

• Like 2

My wife and I went to Immigration at Prom Wednesday 16th August for the yearly extension

Arrived 0700 hrs, we were number 12 and 13 in the queue, i estimate around 25ish at 0830 hrs

We received our extension of stay at 1145 hrs, served by Nicky who is always polite

We then did the re-entry permit

Done and dusted by 1400 hrs

So in total around 7 hours, once a year

We have always done immigration matters ourselves, I would rather spend the 6K, plus 1k on a 

nice meal, rather than pay an agent

The said, its an individual thing

Also, a large number of people  for 90 day reporting, I do not understand why they queue, its not a requirement now, you  can go in the afternoon and be seen

I also agree with a manual appoint system, that would stop people turning up early, very simple to introduce

Why they do not do it beats me

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

No need for me to complain, It took me 20 minutes to drive there which was on the way to drop our son off at school. My wife continued on with him to school while I waited in line for my number. When she returned we went out and ran errands in the area, did some shopping and grabbed some lunch. So I spent a total of 3 1/2 hours at immigration, not a big deal ! It is only once a year as I will either do the 90 day report online or mail it. Do what suits yourself.

Scottiejohn

I have not checked your profile or your posting history...

...but I assume that you posses a visa extension that allows you to work, and that you have a work permit, since you are so insistent that "time is money" to you in Thailand.

However...

...most of here in Thailand are on a retirement extension which prohibits employment, which includes assisting ones wife or a anyone who is working (even if it is for no remuneration). So, one day every year spent at Promenada to personally carry out my extension is no hardship, in fact it is an opportunity for myself and my wife to brows the mall, especially the well stocked branch that Rimping have there. 

I was there on 29 May, arrived at 07:45 and was finished by 09:40. No hardship there, two hours lost pay...lol:whistling:

ps. forgot to insert Scottiejohn post...

Edited by rawhod
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

See my post above (with luck)

On 8/17/2017 at 5:37 PM, scottiejohn said:

I spent 90 minutes doing my extension this year (would have been 60 min. but apparently my passport was taken to another office and not returned until I inquired what was taking so long).  And....I didn't pay anybody anything to do it for me......and I never would.:sleep: That is a pain-free process. Same as it has been for the last 10 years. Hope things never change over there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elektrified said:

I spent 90 minutes doing my extension this year (would have been 60 min. but apparently my passport was taken to another office and not returned until I inquired what was taking so long).  And....I didn't pay anybody anything to do it for me......and I never would.:sleep: That is a pain-free process. Same as it has been for the last 10 years. Hope things never change over there.

Quick. What ticket number did you get?

20 hours ago, elektrified said:

Some people like using an agent, some people like going to Promenada to spend a little time, enjoy the people they meet and check out the mall, buy a few things that can't be found elsewhere. Some people's pain is other's pleasure. What I love about Thailand is all the great people to see, wonderful places to go, and that I have nothing but time to take it all in. Now I'm thinking about skipping the postal method next time for the 90 day extension and going back to Promenada for a lovely morning. Don't know why I bother to say this over and over again, guess I'm hoping to add a bit to world's peace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opalred said:

last time i did a 90day there  had some idiot Jesus freak  annoying me 

now always do postal  as don't need those freaks in my life

Haven't you learend to stand up and move off to a new seat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marriage Extension Changes:

Did mine today and went along with what should have been a perfect set of documents based on last year's application, but

1. The TM7 has changed so if you are using one downloaded from the Immigration website, the chances are that you will have to fill out another pair by hand.
  2. There are now two extra forms that seem to be declarations that you know the penalties for overstay and the like.  These only require a signature and address.
  3. Copies of every page of my passport was requested.  I took a set along last year and was told they weren't needed - luckily I had kept them in the folder so no problem.

Those were the changes, here are some annoyances probably just down the the person processing the extension:

1. The officer dealing with out application wouldn't accept a copy of my passport details (photo) page because I made the scan of only that page and not actual passport open showing the (meaningless) facing page.  Never had this issue before in 6 years of using the same file.
  2. Despite every page being signed in blue with our names printed underneath, he applied a huge stamp to about half the copies and had us sign them again for some reason I couldn't understand.  He put the stamp in places where you couldn't even read our signatures in many cases....
  3. Copy of bank book and letter from K Bank confirming the balance were not enough it seems and he asked for a statement showing the last three months.  The fixed term deposit book shows no transactions other than several additions of interest so the 100 baht piece of paper from the bank simply said that they couldn't do one.  He accepted this.

I hardly ever bother to get my passbook updated on my everyday account so when I do it often only prints out a couple of consolidated lines with a single figure for deposits and withdrawals covering several months. The above business with the bank statement prompted me to check with the bank to see if a statement gives the full details and I was told it would.  I was half expecting to be asked to come up with something to show regular income and spending in addition to the 400K on deposit so regular updating or getting a statement may save you some hassle should you get the same guy.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, Greenside said:

I hardly ever bother to get my passbook updated on my everyday account so when I do it often only prints out a couple of consolidated lines with a single figure for deposits and withdrawals covering several months. The above business with the bank statement prompted me to check with the bank to see if a statement gives the full details and I was told it would.  I was half expecting to be asked to come up with something to show regular income and spending in addition to the 400K on deposit so regular updating or getting a statement may save you some hassle should you get the same guy.

This is just one example of why it's a very good practice of why you should keep your bankbook up-to-date.  It's a very good way to track your spending, prove income/activity to Imm., maximum balance for Americans filing FATCA etc.  If you update infrequently, you'll find your transactions are condensed into one entry for income and one for outflow -- not very helpful and certainly doesn't show your daily balance.  Your bank balance could have fallen below 400,000 and that be hidden when you don't update and have consolidated entries.

• Like 1

Why is it that it seems that those who go loose, comfortable and reasonably prepared are usually processed without problems but the ones who go with the kitchen sink, detailed knowledge of what happened last year, hours of regulation study, specifics of what happened to Joe on Monday and Bill last week get asked for something they  were not ready for or requested to jump thru unexpected hoops?

Could it be that the Immigration Officers have some special skills in reading between the lines or seeing between the eyes?  Or do they just smell the nervous worried iffy ones?