‘Common sense’ approach to FB enforcement

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clicking Like on a know terrorist organizations page and being monitored for it is in no way comparable to getting thrown in jail for speculating on government corruption rubl.

Both rely on government monitoring your freedom of 'whatever'

Your point being?

Some seem to accept without question their own government monitoring their activities while being appalled that the Thai government might do something similar. I guess when the American or British government monitors it's for the good of the Nation and therefore acceptable. People who have nothing to hide don't need to worry anyway.

Clicking Like on a know terrorist organizations page and being monitored for it is in no way comparable to getting thrown in jail for speculating on government corruption rubl.

Your point being?

Some seem to accept without question their own government monitoring their activities while being appalled that the Thai government might do something similar. I guess when the American or British government monitors it's for the good of the Nation and therefore acceptable. People who have nothing to hide don't need to worry anyway.

Trying for the umpteenth time to liken monitoring to imprisonment for clicking 'Like' on Facebook regarding a post calling into question the honesty of a non elected governmental project or similar, I see. Do you think you are convincing anyone, anyone at all? Edited by baboon

Your point being?

Trying for the umpteenth time to liken monitoring to imprisonment for clicking 'Like' on Facebook regarding a post calling into question the honesty of a non elected governmental project or similar, I see. Do you think you are convincing anyone, anyone at all?

Rubl's arguments are strawman at best.

I can openly criticise David Cameron to my hearts content (and believe me, I do) and not have to worry about being thrown in jail. The regular Thai populace would be running a very big risk if they did the same.

It's chalk and cheese really.

Trying for the umpteenth time to liken monitoring to imprisonment for clicking 'Like' on Facebook regarding a post calling into question the honesty of a non elected governmental project or similar, I see. Do you think you are convincing anyone, anyone at all?

Rubl's arguments are strawman at best.

I can openly criticise David Cameron to my hearts content (and believe me, I do) and not have to worry about being thrown in jail. The regular Thai populace would be running a very big risk if they did the same.

It's chalk and cheese really.

The GCHQ even has as motto "listening to our customers".

So'common sense' as seem lacking in some posters writings.

Your point being?

Trying to ignore the principle, are you? Trying to ignore the pressure of free speech in the West and a monitoring which as wikileaks has it goes far beyond what the Thai government only trying? Don't you think that's a wee bit hypocritical?

No, it is on topic.

Trying to ignore the principle, are you? Trying to ignore the pressure of free speech in the West and a monitoring which as wikileaks has it goes far beyond what the Thai government only trying? Don't you think that's a wee bit hypocritical?

No, it is on topic.

Ignoring what you don't like is not part of the topic and doesn't have anything to do with 'common sense'.

The principle is freedom of speech, the common sense version is to be sensible in what you say, condone, 'like'

IMHO

No, it is on topic.

Ignoring what you don't like is not part of the topic and doesn't have anything to do with 'common sense'.

The principle is freedom of speech, the common sense version is to be sensible in what you say, condone, 'like'

IMHO

1. So what? An afternoon bicycle ride is not part of the topic either, but makes a lot more 'common sense' then reading the rest of your off topic post above...(edit) Whoops, your post that has been deleted. I wonder why that was?

2. The topic is about Facebook from a Thai perspective, if you read the OP. Feel free to start your own thread on Internet freedom in other countries or head straight to The 'World News' forums and comment there... Sorry, I forgot you aren't even remotely interested in the subject, hence your not doing so.

Edited by baboon

So the point you are trying to make her rubl is that...

Western governments spy on there populaces, ok, I don't see anyone condoning that here. The difference is you are allowed to outright criticize them. Hell I could say I think Cameron being in bed with the Saudis or Rupert Murdoch sticks to high heaven. I could post it and links about it on Facebook to my hearts content.

In Thailand people are getting locked up for daring to question for even clicking 'like' on a photo or a story questioning the Rajabhatki scandal and now this government are openly saying you could be imprisoned for what they interpret as threats to 'national security' and handing out 30+ year sentences for it.

I don't know why you insist on twisting things around to try and defend this draconian regime but your point here is really comparing apples to oranges....

No, it is on topic.

IMHO

1. So what? An afternoon bicycle ride is not part of the topic either, but makes a lot more 'common sense' then reading the rest of your off topic post above...(edit) Whoops, your post that has been deleted. I wonder why that was?

2. The topic is about Facebook from a Thai perspective, if you read the OP. Feel free to start your own thread on Internet freedom in other countries or head straight to The 'World News' forums and comment there... Sorry, I forgot you aren't even remotely interested in the subject, hence your not doing so.

"(edit) Whoops, your post that has been deleted. I wonder why that was?"

Well the reason given was "An off topic obfuscation post has been removed as well as the replies. " Interesting that the post before this remark is mine.

Anyway, common sense dictates I let you be. ByeBye Baboon.

Although this topic is on Thailand, Thailand is not an isolated country with a big wall around it, not even a firewall. As such the 'outside' world does effect both Thai people as well as the odd foreign posters here.

So common sense should prevail be it in Thai or in other country people. Now for those in Thailand common sense would mean not 'liking' a doctored photo of H. M. the King, For those in America common sense means not 'liking' ISIS or calls to 'trigger' some people. In France the State of Emergency is still raised, so don't even joke too much. In the Netherlands? Last month a man was arrested by the police for posting death threats against Muslims.

Common sense, not all have it.

Western governments spy on there populaces, ok, I don't see anyone condoning that here. The difference is you are allowed to outright criticize them. Hell I could say I think Cameron being in bed with the Saudis or Rupert Murdoch sticks to high heaven. I could post it and links about it on Facebook to my hearts content.

In Thailand people are getting locked up for daring to question for even clicking 'like' on a photo or a story questioning the Rajabhatki scandal and now this government are openly saying you could be imprisoned for what they interpret as threats to 'national security' and handing out 30+ year sentences for it.

I don't know why you insist on twisting things around to try and defend this draconian regime but your point here is really comparing apples to oranges....

Britain still knows a Defamation Law I think, need to read up on details.

Anyway, common sense means you accept a certain level of restrictions on your 'freedom of speech'. As such that is not country dependent. At the same time you expect common sense in your government. Now that is lacking at times and not just here in Thailand. France is still under Emergence Law and sense of humour is not to be expected. Again that means 'freedom of speech' is restricted, democratically so.

Anyway, common sense means you accept a certain level of restrictions on your 'freedom of speech'. As such that is not country dependent. At the same time you expect common sense in your government. Now that is lacking at times and not just here in Thailand. France is still under Emergence Law and sense of humour is not to be expected. Again that means 'freedom of speech' is restricted, democratically so.

And how many people in France have been sent to prison for merely clicking 'Like' on Facebook?

No, it is on topic.

IMHO

"(edit) Whoops, your post that has been deleted. I wonder why that was?"

Well the reason given was "An off topic obfuscation post has been removed as well as the replies. " Interesting that the post before this remark is mine.

Anyway, common sense dictates I let you be. ByeBye Baboon.

"Ignoring what you don't like is not part of the topic and doesn't have anything to do with 'common sense'." Or is that different now you are desperately clinging on to a hope you can somehow salvage any kind of credibility on this topic despite post after post of yours being removed?

Common sense is expected from the government when dealing with facebook

"Thailand’s Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is suing a popular cartoonist for defamation over a comment he posted on Facebook comparing the leader to a prostitute for “selling out her country”."

http://www.aimsinpeng.com/thailands-prime-minister-sues-cartoonist-for-insulting-facebook-post/

"Thailands Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is suing a popular cartoonist for defamation over a comment he posted on Facebook comparing the leader to a prostitute for selling out her country."

http://www.aimsinpeng.com/thailands-prime-minister-sues-cartoonist-for-insulting-facebook-post/

How many people were prosecuted by the state for clicking 'Like'? Edited by baboon

Pressing like on a defamatory message posted on Facebook is certainly not a crime, as such a message is only a record of past actions.

Look what happen in European legislation, "like" something wrong and you will be prosecute

How many people in Europe have gone to prison for clicking 'Like' on Facebook?

In France 215 procedures since 07 January 2015

50 condamnation from 4 month to 4 years for people who "like" terrorism picture or video

In France "like" this content is consider to apology of terrorism, thanks for french States of emergency

You are still to show us a single case where people have been imprisoned simply for a 'Like'. You are either being untruthful or simply making things up.

It is SEVERELY lacking here that is the point. If there is a government scandal in the UK or Holland we can freely and openly talk about it. In person, at gatherings, on social media.

Here you get locked up for UP TO 30 YEARS for the same thing (and in some cases liking and sharing an image, and this image was questioning corruption in the case of the park and the authorities twisted it around to make it about LM to cover themselves). It is pretty indefensible and was nowhere near this bad under any civilian government here (PTP or Dems).

There is really no excuse for the ridiculous penalties handed out. And comparing it to nations monitoring Islamic extremists is extremely flimsy at best.

"Thailands Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is suing a popular cartoonist for defamation over a comment he posted on Facebook comparing the leader to a prostitute for selling out her country."

How many people were prosecuted by the state for clicking 'Like'?

None yet, maybe? Maybe 'common sense' prevails ? In other of course, not in those who try to stress a minor point ignoring all other aspects. Maybe you think only the 'right' people are worthy of being 'liked' ?

It is SEVERELY lacking here that is the point. If there is a government scandal in the UK or Holland we can freely and openly talk about it. In person, at gatherings, on social media.

Here you get locked up for UP TO 30 YEARS for the same thing (and in some cases liking and sharing an image, and this image was questioning corruption in the case of the park and the authorities twisted it around to make it about LM to cover themselves). It is pretty indefensible and was nowhere near this bad under any civilian government here (PTP or Dems).

There is really no excuse for the ridiculous penalties handed out. And comparing it to nations monitoring Islamic extremists is extremely flimsy at best.

Common sense should have a universal meaning and applied t the same subject anywhere give the same results.

Now on this planet called Earth that's not the case. Whatever one understands naming 'common sense' is tinted with cultural background, history, laws and current developments.

As such we'll see different interpretations by different people.

Now I agree that the penalties seem to have no relation with the 'severity' of the 'crime'. Still what is considered a crime in one country may be perfectly normal behaviour in another.

Of course the topic touching on two further aspects, one is how much 'freedom of speech' makes common sense to be tolerated by the government, the other being the suggestion that a government has the 'duty' to tolerate anything and the public the 'right' to say anything.

Common sense.

Look what happen in European legislation, "like" something wrong and you will be prosecute

50 condamnation from 4 month to 4 years for people who "like" terrorism picture or video

In France "like" this content is consider to apology of terrorism, thanks for french States of emergency

You are still to show us a single case where people have been imprisoned simply for a 'Like'. You are either being untruthful or simply making things up.

I'm I 'to show'? Did I say I would, did I even say I could? I wrote "none yet, maybe'.

Now before you continue with baseless accusations and insinuations, pray tel which part of that "none yet, maybe" didn't you understand? Furthermore why you try to distract with your repeatedly "how many ..." ?

Now in the OP we have

"Thus, a "like" does not show support for the poster or even the message, because the action behind the original post was carried out before other people online even had a chance to see it."

This is certainly NOT common sense. It suggest a crime is only a crime when people become aware of it.

^^

Now before you continue with baseless accusations and insinuations, pray tell which part of that that I was replying to an entirety different poster didn't you understand?

Or perhaps you have multiple identities?

Edited by baboon

None yet, maybe? Maybe 'common sense' prevails ? In other of course, not in those who try to stress a minor point ignoring all other aspects. Maybe you think only the 'right' people are worthy of being 'liked' ?

That's right; None. Now go away and stop wasting my time.

That's right; None. Now go away and stop wasting my time.

Excuses and terribly sorry and all that, my dear baboon, but since when I'm a supposed to 'waste' your time? Did I rob you, did I command you? It's much more that you seem unable to show common sense with your questioning. Same like the OP suggesting that something isn't wrong as long as no one has seen it yet.

Common sense, freedom of speech, voluntary decency, demanded from others that is.

^^

Now before you continue with baseless accusations and insinuations, pray tell which part of that that I was asking an entirety different poster didn't you understand?

Which part did you write in your reply to me in #43 and #46 ?

^^

Now before you continue with baseless accusations and insinuations, pray tell which part of that that I was asking an entirety different poster didn't you understand?

Which part did you write in your reply to me in #43 and #46 ?

You rubl or you than? Which one are you now?

Your point being?

nonsense, of course, they don't have 'attitude adjustment camps' laws against gathering of 5 people or 'unusually' high death rates in prisons or lese majeste

Pressing like on a defamatory message posted on Facebook is certainly not a crime, as such a message is only a record of past actions.

There have been plenty of procedures and jail sentences for posting comments or pictures, i.e. for praising people responsible of Charlie Hebdo killings, or stating they would like to have done it, etc...

However I did not read anything on people questioned or sentenced for "likes". I just did a Google search in French and did not find any information on it.

What is your source for this precise statement?

There have been plenty of procedures and jail sentences for posting comments or pictures, i.e. for praising people responsible of Charlie Hebdo killings, or stating they would like to have done it, etc...

However I did not read anything on people questioned or sentenced for "likes". I just did a Google search in French and did not find any information on it.

What is your source for this precise statement?

You are not french and not live in France...... you not see all what happen in this country....