Governor tables Hat Yai-Phuket railway project

webfact

Governor tables Hat Yai-Phuket railway project
Phuket Gazette

g.jpeg
Governor Chamroen tabled the Hat Yai-Phuket railway idea at a meeting on Thursday. Photo: Phuket PR

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada tabled a project on Thursday that would see the construction of a railway between Hat Yai and Phuket.

The move to promote tourism for the ASEAN community with the project was prompted by the opening of railway tracks for Hat Yai-Padang Besar, Malaysia, on December 21.

“We now have the opportunity to give travellers the convenience of grabbing a connecting train from Hat Yai to the Andaman region,” said Governor Chamroen. “Singaporean and Malaysian people love travelling to Phuket. Some of them have even purchased houses and have businesses here.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Governor-tables-Hat-YaiPhuket-railway-project/62742?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-28

A railway track from Phuket to Hat Yei doesn't make much sense. It's a huge detour, no chance to compete with cheap airlines. A bullet train from Chieng Mai to Singapore maybe could make profits in the not so far future. Nong Khai to Bangkok for Chinese fright traines? Only with zero or less than zero interest rates..

A railway track from Phuket to Hat Yei doesn't make much sense. It's a huge detour, no chance to compete with cheap airlines. A bullet train from Chieng Mai to Singapore maybe could make profits in the not so far future. Nong Khai to Bangkok for Chinese fright traines? Only with zero or less than zero interest rates..

I agree - budget airlines would be cheaper ...

Edited by LivinginKata

I think its a great idea. There are no flights from Had Yai to Phuket or Trang or Krabi a train would be great, buses are slow and uncomfortable. I just hope they have a bar car.

Bangkok Airways flies Phuket to Hat Yai.

Correct.

I ran a flight through their website. Hat Yai to Phuket, mid Feb, 1490 baht. 1 hr 5 min flight time.

Why would tourists catch the train to Phuket, and lose 2 days out of their holidays, when they can fly?

2off topic posts have been removed.

This thread is about a railway line not the annexation of the southern states.

Thanks for removing. This two hate posts made me angry, first thought about a response, but then decided to do not, because they really were off topic.

I think its a great idea. There are no flights from Had Yai to Phuket or Trang or Krabi a train would be great, buses are slow and uncomfortable. I just hope they have a bar car.

Bangkok Airways flies Phuket to Hat Yai.

I agree with beammeup!

How much compared to a train ticket? Bangkok Air is the most expensive airline in Thailand. And could I get off at Trang? Of course not! The rail line could be used for freight as well... The Phuket Governor's ideas for underpasses is working out so great, we don't need a rail line that connects to the rest of Thailand, we can take buses that crash all the time. Or fly somewhere kind of close to where I want to go and take a very long taxi ride or bus ride. Been there done that... I'll take a train over a bus.