license plates

lasidaho

bought new car in BKK, oct.2nd this year was told we would have regular plates sent to us about 45 days, as of yet no plates, call dealer keep giving us run around. Paid cash for the car, would like to know if anyone has had similar problem, and what are my options of getting this dealer to act. Thanks

Some dealers are slower than others in facilitating the tax payments and getting the plates. On top of this, the end-of-year sales completions are typically slower due to government and national holidays, etc.. Do you have temporary red plates on the car? Legally, I think they are only valid for 30 days and beyond that, you are breaking the law. Factor in that all dealerships have a fixed amount of temporary red plates, this causes problems when the typical Thai buyer tends to drag their feet on relinquishing red plates for white as red plates says 'new car' for all to see. Law enforcement on extended red plate usage is not common but if the red plates are forgeries (not uncommon) then the cops do tend to make that an issue.

Not much can be done other than have your partner keep badgering the dealership but I would wager that your white plates will be ready in the early new year.

I got my white plates in less than 2 weeks from taking delivery, (not in Bangkok ) I think the dealers try and hold onto the cash for as long as possible. go down there and kick up a stink.

the plates should have been with you in November, so should not have got tangled up in the end of year '' slow down''

Just lazy dealership staff, or bad practices,

3 months is typical for vehicles. Friend of mine waited 5 months for his motorcycle plates. Red plates (I was told) are good for 90 days but if you go out of the province you'll need a note from the dealer blah blah blah....

Red plates are good for 30 days. The 'note from the dealer required' part I'd also incorrect, officiallg all needs to be logged and driving outside of the province is not allowed.