Finnish UFC fighter gets ripped off in Phuket "5" star hotel.

Topah

I am a great fan on Makwan Amirkhani who is visiting first time Thailand. He has been training in Phuket and I was devastated that he and his friends have been ripped off in Phuket hotel.

What happened is that the hotel asked 500 euro deposit and when the guys were checking out staff said that they paid only 300 and the hotel pays only 200 euros back. After Makwan's video (in Finnish language) got viral yesterday, lot of his angry fans have been bombing hotels facebook page with angry reviews and messages but most of them have been deleted.

What is very funny is that after the hotel most likely realized that these guys were the wrong ones to rip-off, they put 400 euros to the table and an envelope. That alone already tells that the hotel tried to rip-off them.

I don't understand how it is possible that in a year 2015 in "5" star hotel staff can do so stupid things. This will hurt Thai tourism and this hotel will lose a lot of tourists because this idiotic "mistake".

You can see the videos in Makwan's Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/amirkhanimakwan/?fref=ts

Amazing Thailand

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even after many years here I still have trouble working out whether such things are attempts at theft or just crass incompetence.

Would you ever get 200 euros more back by mistake?

There's your answer.

''I was devastated that he and his friends have been ripped off in Phuket hotel."

Devastated.... you'd be in real trouble if something really devastating happened to you. How would you handle the loss of a loved one or maybe the loss of an arm ?

I'm sure you'll get over it.

Cheers.

Obviously he has taken too many blows to his head, any normal person would ask for a receipt.

...perhaps if you take a look at the video on his Facebook page, you will see that he received a receipt for 500 Euros...and the hotel still claims that he only paid 300 Euros.

Might make you look less like a self righteous tool.

Obviously he has taken too many blows to his head, any normal person would ask for a receipt.

...perhaps if you take a look at the video on his Facebook page, you will see that he received a receipt for 500 Euros...and the hotel still claims that he only paid 300 Euros.

Might make you look less like a self righteous tool.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Bingo ! It's the 200 Euro self righteous tool fee thats going to roo860 clap2.gif

Where do I pay?wacko.png

Self righteous tool fee cancelled on acknowledgment of self righteous tool.

Good stuff you guys, good laugh. Back to the OP, I'll bet the staff pulls this trick fairly regularly and people don't make a problem.

Lets call it "supplemental income".

Or when they do make a problem "so sorry, we made a mistake, here you go".

In the end did the guy get all his money back?

$500 deposit? why not use a credit card like normal people?

if you do hand over $500 why not ask for a receipt?

some people just line themselves up to be conned

Covered already, he did get a receipt. Try to keep up before posting.

Exactly, its a con not a misunderstanding, getting a receipt has nothing to do with it.

Once they have the money your in the same position.

People always bring up the receipt issue because they dont want to believe they are being conned and it's all "just a big misunderstanding".

Why is the hotel that's the subject of this incident being labeled a "5 Star" hotel? It's probably more like 3.5 stars.

The only property in Phuket that I'm aware of that approaches being an internationally recognized 5 star hotel is a very exclusive and secluded property located between Surin and Bang Tao beaches. Not something attached to a shopping center catering to Chinese package tourists.

I thought we had gone over this...but let's try again...

He got a receipt for 500 Euros.

It would appear that the Hotel tried to change the "5" on the receipt to a "3" and say he only paid 300 Euros.

But, he has a copy of that exact receipt, showing the original, unmarked number as 500 Euro.

He did everything correct...he was just the victim of an attempted scam by someone in that Hotel.

If you don't want to view the video on Facebook...at least read the other posts first.

Isn't it normal when giving a deposit to get a receipt I know I get one every time in Pattaya without asking and they are by no means 5 star?

Sure is, all hotels taking deposits give a receipt..... And who gives a shit he's a UFC fighter, its irrelevant, to a story thats sounds like bullshit !!

Because paying in CASH, and getting a RECEIPT for the correct amount,, is arguable ON THE SPOT of the attempted theft... doing so by CC?... All the staff has to do is claim the charged amount has been refunded to his card,,, when they didn't at all,,,, he'd not be aware of it for possibly months after the fact, and ONLY if he'd bother to check his statement closely,,,,

Went to Centra Avenue Pattaya could months ago, paid for entire stay UPFRONT before checking in, asked them to remove all mini bar items….and told them I wouldn't be dining in their hotel at all and they could deactivate my access to rooms ervice etc.

They still wanted 25,000 baht deposit…I told them to piss off.

And they did.

How absolutely incredibly stupid on the hotels part,, THEIR receipt, filled out by THEIR employee,,,, and then the balls to actually argue the amount,,,, I'll bet during the disscussion,, "OH, so sorry,,, The person that write this not work today, please come back 2 days",,, knowing full well they're most likely leaving the island,,, Just when you think they just CAN'T act any stupider,,, they always seem to prove otherwise,,, just baffles the mind how a race,, SOOO concerned about, "losing face",,,, has seemingly NO difficulty losing it, by blatantly ripping people off,, day in,,, day out,,,, just boggles,,, They WILL however play the, "face card" to get themselves out of a situation, such as,, "Your Honor, He caused me to "lose face" over $15baht,, Therefore I snapped, and hacked him to death".....

Edited by Adeeos

All hotels swipe your credit card upon check in and block of a certain amount on your credit card that they can charge your expenses to when you check out.

A charge slip is generated but you are NOT required to sign it. (never do this!!!)

When you check out, they swipe your card again for the actual amount you spent, generate a new charge slip….you sign that.

Then they hand over the previous charge slip back to you, to destroy, or tear it up in front of you….and reverse those charges with the card issuing bank.

That's the internationally recognised process.

Ive been in a thai hotel where the idiot at reception generated a blank charge slip and asked me to sign it….that is like signing a blank cheque….and I refused outright.

What sort of person staying in a '5-star' resort pays the security deposit in cash?

Always just put it on the credit card that will be used to pay the final bill.

There is your receipt.

Well, maybe this is a distraction, but it seems to support the story.

An acquaintance of mine used to work for Expedia. She got a call from a Japanese client who turned up at their pre-booked Phuket resort with a pre-paid Expedia voucher for their accommodation. The hotel refused to accept it and insisted that they pay again. Naturally, Expedia wanted to claw the money back for their customer, but the hotel would not return Expedia's calls.

If you hit rock bottom, you really do hit rock bottom.

Edited by dundas

All hotels swipe your credit card upon check in and block of a certain amount on your credit card that they can charge your expenses to when you check out.

A charge slip is generated but you are NOT required to sign it. (never do this!!!)

When you check out, they swipe your card again for the actual amount you spent, generate a new charge slip….you sign that.

Then they hand over the previous charge slip back to you, to destroy, or tear it up in front of you….and reverse those charges with the card issuing bank.

That's the internationally recognised process.

Ive been in a thai hotel where the idiot at reception generated a blank charge slip and asked me to sign it….that is like signing a blank cheque….and I refused outright.

Not all hotels...