Finnish UFC fighter gets ripped off in Phuket "5" star hotel.

Topah

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it normal when giving a deposit to get a receipt I know I get one every time in Pattaya without asking and they are by no means 5 star?

Exactly, for my work I travel all over Thailand for more than 8 years and have seen or heard or experiences anything like this.

Then again, it was an UFC fighter according to the OP, mostly they are famous and well known for their force, not for their wit!

For the love of God, please either look at the video or read the thread.

He received a receipt for 500 Euros

The hotel changed the receipt to 300 Euros. They tried to scam him 200 Euros.

He has the official receipt for 500 Euros to prove his case. HE GOT A RECEIPT.

Pictures from his video.

post-21832-0-14805200-1451384733_thumb.p

post-21832-0-45180200-1451384763_thumb.p

Heads up, just check the phone number on the web, that's not nearly a real 5 star hotel, it's a very mediocre 3 star hotel at best, in a shopping mall, near to the bars.

You get what you pay for.

Edited by chiang mai

$500 deposit? why not use a credit card like normal people?

if you do hand over $500 why not ask for a receipt?

some people just line themselves up to be conned

Covered already, he did get a receipt. Try to keep up before posting.

Do you always read every post on a thread before posting yourself?

Stayed in a hotel in Pattaya & when l booked out they said that they would refund the 500 Baht deposit when l produced the receipt.

l did so & the TWO receptionists looked very disappointed. One gave the 500 Baht to the other(instead of to me)& the other girl asked me if she could keep the 500Baht.

When l insisted on the money, she reluctantly passed it over & asked again if l could "give it to her".

Positive that they were hoping that l'd misplaced the receipt.

Plenty of cheek.

Stayed in a hotel in Pattaya & when l booked out they said that they would refund the 500 Baht deposit when l produced the receipt.

l did so & the TWO receptionists looked very disappointed. One gave the 500 Baht to the other(instead of to me)& the other girl asked me if she could keep the 500Baht.

When l insisted on the money, she reluctantly passed it over & asked again if l could "give it to her".

Positive that they were hoping that l'd misplaced the receipt.

Plenty of cheek.

disgusting people.

I do all my hotel bookings in Asia through Agoda, prepay and present the voucher printout at the reception desk. Never use a minibar ( ripoff ). Generally, the rating system and guest comments are a reliable indication. Not particularly fussy - all I ask for is a clean room and linen/towels, with aircon that works.

Touch wood, have never had a voucher refused. My response would be to inform the management they would be hearing from Agoda, and walk out.

When Thais are caught with their hands in the cookie jar...they are actually angry that they were caught...not remorseful in the least...happens everywhere...all the time...there is no place to hide from Thai corruption...top to bottom...IMHO

Do not become paranoid about being ripped off...just use common sense...count your change...ask for receipts...and do not take anything at face value...

I think Thais smile so much at foreigners...as the see "So many opportunities...so little time"...

Few years back I rented a car in the US from one of the big worldwide rental companies. I took the car in LA and dropped off in SF. I asked the clerk in LA to pay cash upfront as I didn't want my credit card to be charged - he said no can do, but can pay cash at the drop off point. I told him i have a late night flight and will only arrive at the airport about 10pm. He said no problem, can pay there anytime.

I arrive at the airport 10pm, the guy who received the car said I am cleared to go and they will charge my CC. I said no - I want to pay cash. He sent me to the office and the guy at the office told me he just closed the cash register and put the money in the safe already and can't accept cash till the next day.... I was upset and asked to speak with the shift manager. he sent me to the rental office on a lower floor - where you go to rent the cars. There was only 1 staff member, I said I wanted to speak to the manager. He phoned the manager and told her a client wants to see her, asked me to wait.

A couple of seconds later he asked me what was it about? I told him I wanted to pay cash for my rental and the guy at the receiving level refused to accept the cash. He said - no problem, phoned the manager and told her he is taking care of it and she doesn't have to come out. He took my contract, took the cash, printed a receipt and I left happier.

About a month later I got my CC statement with a charge for the rental. I called the CC office, told them i paid cash, they asked me to fax over the cash receipt. I did so, and they called me back few minutes later to tell me this was NOT a receipt. That was when I looked at the paper for the first time - as when I got it, I was so trusting that I just put it in my pocket and never bothered to look at it. It was NOT a receipt, it was a reprint of my original contract...... The CC charges could not be disputed....

So I emailed the whole story to the rental company's head office. 24 hours later I received a reply saying they have found the cash payment record, apologized for the mistake and credited my CC.

Now - it could have been an honest mistake. it could also been a bad apple in the staff who was trying to pocket my money. If it was the second case, the company had just decided to clear the issue with me and deal or not deal with that employee internally. I will never know and I don't really care. My personal lesson from this was to check the receipts / bills I get always and everywhere....

So these things happen everywhere. It was wrong of the guest not to take and CHECK the receipt to be correct. The fact that the hotel management has returned the money doesn't necessarily mean the hotel officially tried to rip him off, and after giving him the money back it is up to them if and how to deal with the employee.

What we all should learn from this. Never ever try to fool a Finn.

They might look like trustful folks when first met, but that's just giving the benefit of the doubt.

When the bad intentions is confirmed, all the hell is loose. It's time to bury the wrongdoers. With cement.

Obviously he has taken too many blows to his head, any normal person would ask for a receipt.

What sort of person staying in a '5-star' resort pays the security deposit in cash?

Always just put it on the credit card that will be used to pay the final bill.

There is your receipt.

They're attempting to pull this $hit, with CASH, and a VALID receipt, written by THEM!,,,, you don't think they'll try whatever they can on a CC,, knowing the owner most likely won't go over it right then/there?.... jeez

$500 deposit? why not use a credit card like normal people?

if you do hand over $500 why not ask for a receipt?

some people just line themselves up to be conned

Covered already, he did get a receipt. Try to keep up before posting.

Do you always read every post on a thread before posting yourself?

Well its not a bad idea ... otherwise you can appear to be talking out of your bum ...which it appears to all of us you are.

Does your disinterest in reading extend to receipts as well ?

By god , its a masochist who attempts to dare reveal an injustice on TV.

Even the post before the above has someone wanting to suggest that the Hotel in question has to be a ripoff because its attached to a shopping mall ( like The Millenium in Patong - a great hotel) and god forbid , there are "bars" nearby... snort....555

Get real TV respondents and follow the story before adding nothing ( other than an insight into your sad sack attitudes)!

Op , I hope the issue is pursued to its fullest .

Heads up, just check the phone number on the web, that's not nearly a real 5 star hotel, it's a very mediocre 3 star hotel at best, in a shopping mall, near to the bars.

From the video, another fame showing part of the receipt:

post-88861-0-47525200-1451407719_thumb.g

From the video, another fame showing part of the receipt:

attachicon.gifMakwan hotel deposit receipt 03.gif

Definitely not a 5 star resort by any means.

All hotels swipe your credit card upon check in and block of a certain amount on your credit card that they can charge your expenses to when you check out.

A charge slip is generated but you are NOT required to sign it. (never do this!!!)

When you check out, they swipe your card again for the actual amount you spent, generate a new charge slip….you sign that.

Then they hand over the previous charge slip back to you, to destroy, or tear it up in front of you….and reverse those charges with the card issuing bank.

That's the internationally recognised process.

Ive been in a thai hotel where the idiot at reception generated a blank charge slip and asked me to sign it….that is like signing a blank cheque….and I refused outright.

You don't need a credit card to stay at a hotel in Thailand.

Few years back I rented a car in the US from one of the big worldwide rental companies. I took the car in LA and dropped off in SF. I asked the clerk in LA to pay cash upfront as I didn't want my credit card to be charged - he said no can do, but can pay cash at the drop off point. I told him i have a late night flight and will only arrive at the airport about 10pm. He said no problem, can pay there anytime.

I arrive at the airport 10pm, the guy who received the car said I am cleared to go and they will charge my CC. I said no - I want to pay cash. He sent me to the office and the guy at the office told me he just closed the cash register and put the money in the safe already and can't accept cash till the next day.... I was upset and asked to speak with the shift manager. he sent me to the rental office on a lower floor - where you go to rent the cars. There was only 1 staff member, I said I wanted to speak to the manager. He phoned the manager and told her a client wants to see her, asked me to wait.

A couple of seconds later he asked me what was it about? I told him I wanted to pay cash for my rental and the guy at the receiving level refused to accept the cash. He said - no problem, phoned the manager and told her he is taking care of it and she doesn't have to come out. He took my contract, took the cash, printed a receipt and I left happier.

About a month later I got my CC statement with a charge for the rental. I called the CC office, told them i paid cash, they asked me to fax over the cash receipt. I did so, and they called me back few minutes later to tell me this was NOT a receipt. That was when I looked at the paper for the first time - as when I got it, I was so trusting that I just put it in my pocket and never bothered to look at it. It was NOT a receipt, it was a reprint of my original contract...... The CC charges could not be disputed....

So I emailed the whole story to the rental company's head office. 24 hours later I received a reply saying they have found the cash payment record, apologized for the mistake and credited my CC.

Now - it could have been an honest mistake. it could also been a bad apple in the staff who was trying to pocket my money. If it was the second case, the company had just decided to clear the issue with me and deal or not deal with that employee internally. I will never know and I don't really care. My personal lesson from this was to check the receipts / bills I get always and everywhere....

So these things happen everywhere. It was wrong of the guest not to take and CHECK the receipt to be correct. The fact that the hotel management has returned the money doesn't necessarily mean the hotel officially tried to rip him off, and after giving him the money back it is up to them if and how to deal with the employee.

Dude, he DID get a receipt. The receipt WAS correct. That's how he proved they ripped him off. It might help if you read the <deleted> story before you post next time...it will save you writing a wall of embarrassing text.

Even after many years here I still have trouble working out whether such things are attempts at theft or just crass incompetence.

Well likely you have seen many examples of both, but they are very much different entities.

The latter is perhaps when they 'forget all about' the deposit in the hope you will too.

5 Star hotels never ask me for a cash deposit, just a CC copy.

All hotels swipe your credit card upon check in and block of a certain amount on your credit card that they can charge your expenses to when you check out.

A charge slip is generated but you are NOT required to sign it. (never do this!!!)

When you check out, they swipe your card again for the actual amount you spent, generate a new charge slip….you sign that.

Then they hand over the previous charge slip back to you, to destroy, or tear it up in front of you….and reverse those charges with the card issuing bank.

That's the internationally recognised process.

Ive been in a thai hotel where the idiot at reception generated a blank charge slip and asked me to sign it….that is like signing a blank cheque….and I refused outright.

My best practice is to never use a credit card anywhere,which would be hard for me,as i don't have one.Only use debit card at "safe"atm,and pay cash.

For the love of God, please either look at the video or read the thread.

He received a receipt for 500 Euros

The hotel changed the receipt to 300 Euros. They tried to scam him 200 Euros.

He has the official receipt for 500 Euros to prove his case. HE GOT A RECEIPT.

Pictures from his video.

55,what about the 500 above the 300?