Chaining birds leg to cage

Please hear me out on this one before going on the attack. Got a little Sun Conure yesterday. Super friendly little bird and delighted with him. Problem is he's a bit too friendly ie I like to let my birds out of the cage but he just wants to fly to us and be with us the whole time. Missus isn't completely comfortable with the bird flying on her either. I have had some experience with birds and normally would abhore the use of the light leg chains they use to tether the bird to the cage but I'm wondering if may be an option in this case. Unknown to me yesterday the bird followed me as I opened the front door yesterday and nearly flew out. Other than that I'd like him to have the freedom of being out of the cage sometimes without annoying the missus ,crapping all over the furniture or flying in the kitchen while something hot is on the stove. Anyone have any experience with these? Wouldn't be all the time. Mostly happy to have him out and have the run of the place but sometimes might be a good idea even if for his own safety.

Edited by Kenny202

The same misus that hates the dog? Hide the electric mosquito swatter.......

Actually she likes the bird a lot better than the dog, except for the potential for it to eat her food. Why are Thais so greedy about food? Must be a growing up poor thing

Actually she likes the bird a lot better than the dog, except for the potential for it to eat her food. Why are Thais so greedy about food? Must be a growing up poor thing

I have never approved of keeping birds in cages, it`s not their natural environment and cruel because birds are born to fly not spend their lives in solitary confinement in a wood or wire box perched on a wooden stick. Birds belong in the wild where they are free to do what birds normally do or at least kept in large aviaries that gives them some semblance of a natural environment with room to spread their wings and fly a bit.

If your wife disapproves of the bird flying around for whatever reasons and you are considering attaching a chain to it`s leg is cruel beyond belief and people like you should not keep these animals as pets. Makes me feel sick even thinking about it. Why not find a more suitable home for the bird and get a goldfish instead?

I have never approved of keeping birds in cages, it`s not their natural environment and cruel because birds are born to fly not spend their lives in solitary confinement in a wood or wire box perched on a wooden stick. Birds belong in the wild where they are free to do what birds normally do or at least kept in large aviaries that gives them some semblance of a natural environment with room to spread their wings and fly a bit.

If your wife disapproves of the bird flying around for whatever reasons and you are considering attaching a chain to it`s leg is cruel beyond belief and people like you should not keep these animals as pets. Makes me feel sick even thinking about it. Why not find a more suitable home for the bird and get a goldfish instead?

dear cyberfarang, he didn't ask for your opinion !

read his bloody post !

he asked if anybody had any experience with these procedures.

moose.

Edited by moose7117

dear cyberfarang, he didn't ask for your opinion !

read his bloody post !

he asked if anybody had any experience with these procedures.

moose.

Righty O then. My experience with the procedures of restricting the movements of any animals by string, ropes or chains attached to their legs is animal cruelty. I am certain the OP is aware of this otherwise he wouldn`t ask or if not, he must be bloody naive and so must you be.

going up in Australia, in the country, me dad had kept parrots.

he used to cut their major flight feathers, that slowed them down.

i have kept Quarrions a.k.a. cockatiels or weiro's, in an apartment in Sydney, when i was a young bloke.

i used to let him fly around the apartment, but he used to crap on everything.

eventually took him to a vet a got his feathers clipped, he was still mobile but soon learnt to walk/hop around and was much easier to manage.

moose

going up in Australia, in the country, me dad had kept parrots.

he used to cut their major flight feathers, that slowed them down.

i have kept Quarrions a.k.a. cockatiels or weiro's, in an apartment in Sydney, when i was a young bloke.

i used to let him fly around the apartment, but he used to crap on everything.

eventually took him to a vet a got his feathers clipped, he was still mobile but soon learnt to walk/hop around and was much easier to manage.

moose

thanks mate. I know how to clip wings and it is a must inside, not for restricting the bird for convenience but for the birds safety ie getting enough steam to fly into a window. For the record, this is a South American aviary bred bird and wouldn't last here or anywhere else more than 2 minutes flying around outside. I did try the leg chain yesterday and just didn't feel or look right. It's in the bin

i am a little familiar with conures, a friend had some in oz, lovely birds, full of personality and not moody like peach faces and not too big.

i had a sulphur crested cockatoo for a while as i was taking care of him for my brother, great bird but his craps would fill a teacup.

and if he perched on you he would scratch simply because he was so bloody big.

good luck with him.

moose

• 5 weeks later...

I am a breeder of exotic and pet birds.. and in the UK worked as a zoo keeper looking after many parrots and other birds as part of my job.

I strongly advise against using a leg chain on any bird.

This is because there is a very high chance the bird will injure itself.. either breaking its leg or damaging its hip.. The chain can get tangled around something.. or if the bird flies off suddenly.. it will hurt its leg.

You should only let the bird out of the cage when you are there to supervise it. then its pooping or chewing wont be so much of a problem.

Make sure its cage is large.. so it can at least fly from one perch to another.. and provide toys and food in ways that make the bird work for the food.. keeping it occupied.

Better still build a flight cage or aviary in your garden and get it another bird friend. The bird will be happier in that environment.. and you can get much enjoyment watching them flying about and watching their fascinating natural behaviours.

Edited by jak2002003

Hi Kenny, I have been keeping parrot-like birds (mostly in outdoor aviaries) for many years. The lightweight chain around the leg would allow you to wander around with the bird perched on your shoulder, however, there is always the very real danger that something or someone will scare it into taking flight, and as Jak2002003 has said, sudden leaps into the air can and will cause leg problems with potentially terminal results, I therefore would opt for the wing clip solution, whilst the bird is not able to fly properly, it will flutter safely to the ground. Of course the primaries will grow back, but that will take some time. Be aware however, that if you do as Jak suggests and put your bird (+1) into an aviary, its character will probably change as it will prefer the company of the other bird over you. Having said that, my pair of sun conures are all over me at feeding time, pulling my hair and nipping at my clothes, so whilst very calm and friendly, they are not pets! They are however, great to sit and watch their playful and acrobatic antics.

I have a triton cockatoo whose wings were clipped before I got the bird, it doesn’t slow her down at all, she is in and out of her cage all day long. Her feathers have grown back, but she still prefers to walk! So, right now I am mulling over whether to leave her unclipped or not as we take her almost everywhere (outside) with us, mostly in the evening however, so darkness might also be our friend.

On a slightly different note, the RSPB (amongst others), suggest that very few (if any) birds live to their full life potential in the wild. So, if it is cruel to provide a bird with a large, secure aviary in which it can live to a ripe old age and reproduce as well, then I will continue to be cruel! In addition, keeping some of these splendid creatures provides people with the opportunity to see and appreciate the beauty of these birds, the sun conure being an excellent example as it originates in S. America.

Edited by planemad