Stranded Cuban migrants to be allowed passage to the US

webfact

Stranded Cuban migrants to be allowed passage to the US

(BBC)Central American nations have reached an agreement to allow several thousand Cuban migrants stranded in Costa Rica for over a month to continue their journey towards the United States.

The migrants will be airlifted to El Salvador and put on buses, which will take them to the US.

American legislation gives Cuban migrants preferential treatment.

If they arrive at the US border by land they are allowed to enter the country and apply for residency.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35191828

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-29

It's interesting that they are not referred to as refugees. Instead of being given refugee status, they can apply for residency.

I am assuming there is special legislation for this group.

I think it's probably the existing "feet dry" policy that has been in effect a long time already. In this case they just have decided to allow them entry, and once on US soil they would fall under that category.

It's interesting that they are not referred to as refugees. Instead of being given refugee status, they can apply for residency.

I am assuming there is special legislation for this group.

I think it's probably the existing "feet dry" policy that has been in effect a long time already. In this case they just have decided to allow them entry, and once on US soil they would fall under that category.

La Ley de Ajuste Cubano se creó en 1966

From 1966

Please only post in English. I think you are referring to the Cuban Adjustment Act.

It sounds like they by pass certain immigration regulations, including the usual refugee status determination process.

Some years ago, they had a program called Public Interest Parole for certain people from countries such as Vietnam. I wonder if this is a variation of that program.

It was passed by congress, so they may not count in the regular refugee or immigrant numbers.

Hey US Government, will you let me slip my fiance in on this political free ride you are giving to 1000's and 1000's of Cubans? I've already paid my money, we have even had an interview, but now you want me to prove domicile. It wasn't good enough I gave you the deed to my house that I own 100%...no, you want me to go back and prove I have every intention of becoming a resident in my own home. I have to ask...where else do you think I would live? What fraud do you think I'm going to perpetrate?

Immigration is just a game to politicians. Now that we have virtually normalized relations with Cuba in almost every way, this freebie program needs to be terminated immediately!