What's with all the annoying motorbike pipes / noise pollution?

Woke to Sounds of Horking

These annoying people should have their bikes confiscated, there is no excuse for that dreadful noise.

Lets get some police action on catching them first. Its almost an epidemic here in Chiang Mai in the evening. Opening one of these bike "modification" shops is like a license to print money. There is one close by and they are always full of large bikes waiting to be modified. Bike noise levels and modification checks should be done at every annual license application. The rice rockets rule the road.

These annoying people should have their bikes confiscated, there is no excuse for that dreadful noise.

Lets get some police action on catching them first. Its almost an epidemic here in Chiang Mai in the evening. Opening one of these bike "modification" shops is like a license to print money. There is one close by and they are always full of large bikes waiting to be modified. Bike noise levels and modification checks should be done at every annual license application. The rice rockets rule the road.
That sure is true.

I must admit that when I was a teen, I too wanted loud (I thought for some strange reason it indicated performance). Nowadays when I hear it I think that any noise (or heat for that matter) from the engine is a sign of lost energy not put into forward motion. Exhausts are tuned to employ the back pressure waves returning up the pipe, and unless you know what you're doing it could make it worse rather than better.

I also think it's high time 2 strokes were retired from the roads, and saved for off road activities. The tuk tuks even in standard form mean you cannot talk if one is passing by.

I thought the same when i was a teen but in my homecountry we had 50cc bikes with a very narrow exhaust which limited performance. An open exhaust gave more power to those bikes but of course the police also could hear it so we had to be aware of them. When we saw police we had to escape asap.

2strokes don't belong in a city, sure not in BKK where wind is hard to find. They pollute much more then a big bus.

Tuktuk's are for tourists and marketvendors with a lot of goods.

Singapore has great boats driving trough the city, very silent and perfect if you're tired of walking.

I find them funny. There was a gaggle of them outside one of my locals the other day, all revving their chicken chasers up, then the gaffer went out and told them to be off, so they set off at a brisk sixty miles per week to much merriment from the punters in the restaurant....

Thais don't disturb the peace they obliterate it. As mentioned it's the small penis syndrome in full view.....

Yes sir....Boys with their toys.

Actually, here in Thailand the noisy motorcycle tail pipes would be considered like a new age mating call to hopefully ward off the other boys while attracting the attentions of young girls who may or may not be interested in a guy with a motorbike..... as compared to the lowly chump without a cool sounding, noisy motorbike and no means to display some sort of social status to be hopefully recognized by the many young flirtatious girls.

Primitive instincts and mating rituals evolving in unusual ways.

You have to read into these trends with a little bit of insight and imagination...you know....lol

Cheers

I think the point by the OP is that the number of noisy motorbikes seems to have increased.

There is no doubt that here in Chiang Mai, in addition to the usual noisy/old/modified exhausts of motorbikes and tuktuks and buses and so on, there has been a very tangible increase of big bikes (Ducati and the likes) in the last two years. Maybe ten times more. Often in groups.

I think people should be free to drive anything they like, provided that the vehicle is fitted with a system to collect the noise and the exhaust gas directly back into their (mandatory) helmets so they can enjoy it to the fullest.

I think the point by the OP is that the number of noisy motorbikes seems to have increased.

There is no doubt that here in Chiang Mai, in addition to the usual noisy/old/modified exhausts of motorbikes and tuktuks and buses and so on, there has been a very tangible increase of big bikes (Ducati and the likes) in the last two years. Maybe ten times more. Often in groups.

I think people should be free to drive anything they like, provided that the vehicle is fitted with a system to collect the noise and the exhaust gas directly back into their (mandatory) helmets so they can enjoy it to the fullest.

Yes big bikes are in fashion and especially the Ducati's.

Hilarious thing is that many Thai even can't put their feet on the ground while sitting on it, mai pen lai krab.

Ducati's are racing bikes, build to race.....try racing in BKK traffic gigglem.gif or any other Thai road full of holes and soidogs. But even big bikes have to keep left, not that they do it but by law they should. Big bikes can also be very quiet though, i have some myself which make less noise then a car.

Poor people buy a mini red Hondabike and put a Ducatisticker on it, they also make much noise.

I'm happy i don't live next to a busy road anymore, all the noise and pollution coming in my condo is over now. I allready hear the birds singing at 6 am.

My experience in the remote area of Thailand:

a noisy motorbike gives them some attraction. A substitutefor for what they cannot deliver by their brain.

But ... if causing such noise and pollution wouldn't be restricted by law you would experience the same in Western countries.

Every single person with a Harley maybe?

Good points and true.

But you know what...many people who own motorcycles and fast cars ( men mainly, while there are plenty of them ) just love to hear the "raw sound" of combustion.

They are intrigued with the sound of combustion based power ready to be unleashed, when they hit the throttle.

As a matter of fact it is, believe it or not, one of the factors as to why electric cars are very slowly evolving into a more common consumer choice as motor vehicles are a man made affair and a big factor is the thrilling sound of harnessed combustion unleashed while confirming the amount of power under ones control.

Part of the thrill of NASCAR racing and drag Racing, for example, is the sound of all that harnessed combustion power while I do not think people will readily flock to see silent electric motor racing vehicles as compared to say 8000 horse power Nitro Methane burning Top Fuel or AA Funny Car drag racing events where people just love the "sound" of power being released in their faces....and the smell also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsf2vEUnVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxvPiOqEiE

As silly as all of it may seem ...it is all part of the romance and love of combustion engine based motor vehicles.

Boys and their toys.

Just saying.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Good points and true.

But you know what...many people who own motorcycles and fast cars ( men mainly, while there are plenty of them ) just love to hear the "raw sound" of combustion.

They are intrigued with the sound of combustion based power ready to be unleashed, when they hit the throttle.

As a matter of fact it is, believe it or not, one of the factors as to why electric cars are very slowly evolving into a more common consumer choice as motor vehicles are a man made affair and a big factor is the thrilling sound of harnessed combustion unleashed while confirming the amount of power under ones control.

Part of the thrill of NASCAR racing and drag Racing, for example, is the sound of all that harnessed combustion power while I do not think people will readily flock to see silent electric motor racing vehicles as compared to say 8000 horse power Nitro Methane burning Top Fuel or AA Funny Car drag racing events where people just love the "sound" of power being released in their faces....and the smell also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsf2vEUnVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyxvPiOqEiE

As silly as all of it may seem ...it is all part of the romance and love of combustion engine based motor vehicles.

Boys and their toys.

Just saying.

Cheers

Good points, gemguy. Never thought of it that way and I don't doubt there's some truth to it. An internal combustion engine is a marvelous invention, every bit as intriguing & seductive as fire. I guess in a way it's sort of like music: some people don't mind the treble turned up and for some it hurts the ears if there are too many high, grating notes.

living on the main route to chiang rai i see 100+ bikes a week roar by the shop. the big bikes, like mine can pass at 70-90 mph with loud pipes on and the noise is noticed.... but not excessive because a big bike will be doing around 4-5000 rpm.

the real noisy A-holes are the kids on 125-300cc bikes who go by at the same speed but their engines will be doing 8-9000 rpm. thats where the excess noise is made.