Protest prompts Thai officials to postpone Dhammakaya monks march

webfact

Protest Prompts Officials to Postpone Dhammakaya Monks March
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14513708631451370881l.jpg
A pilgrimage (Dhutanga) organized by the Dhammakaya Buddhist sect in Pathum Thani as seen In this January 2014 photo published by Dhammakaya website. / www.dmc.tv

PATHUM THANI - A monk procession planned by the Dhammakaya sect in northwestern Bangkok metro, has been indefinitely postponed by local officials, following a protest from angry local Buddhist residents.

Gathering in front of Pathum Thani City Hall today, the protesters say the march, which is billed as a “pilgrimage” (Dhutanga) and due to take place on Jan. 2, will cause a massive traffic jam in the area and lead people to a heretical form of Buddhism.

“The majority of people disagree with Dhamakaya’s pilgrimage, because Buddhist dharma states that any monk pilgrimage that causes trouble to laymen is forbidden,” said Attapol Arunoros, a community leader and the protest organizer. “Whatever monks do, they must not cause trouble to people. So, we are here to oppose [the march] within the boundary of the laws, and we do so peacefully.”

Accepting the protesters’ letter of complaint in person, Pathum Thani governor Surachai Khan-asa said he will order the Pilgrimage to be postponed indefinitely.

The controversy is the latest confrontation between mainstream Buddhism and Dhammakaya, a small but well-organized Buddhist sect that commands strong support among affluent people.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1451370863

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-29

Living in PT I understand the concern. They do this around 4 pm on Nakon nayok which is busy all day but during the 4-7time frame is very busy in the direction they chose.

I think a different roulte would be more suitable and is easy to do for them. They just need to plan things away from the busy roads.

Unless of course it realy i9s just to get the money and not to have a pilgramage?

Living in PT I understand the concern. They do this around 4 pm on Nakon nayok which is busy all day but during the 4-7time frame is very busy in the direction they chose.

I think a different roulte would be more suitable and is easy to do for them. They just need to plan things away from the busy roads.

Unless of course it realy i9s just to get the money and not to have a pilgramage?

For this bunch of charlatans getting money and pilgrimage is synonymous.

I am an atheist and an anti-theist on all days ending in the letter Y. So declared I have travelled extensively and to describe the brand of buddhism practiced in this part of the world as anything short of "disneyland buddhism" would be an injustice. I have days here were only the good manners learnt as a child stop me from bursting into raucous laughter at what is happening.

I think they do not represent Buddhist teachings, seem more like a pyramid scheme and/or televangelists. Watched a Q&A session one afternoon, woman asked main monk about where her deceased sister might be. He said she was in realm of hungry ghosts before, but now since you donated much to DMC, she is now existing in some celestial palace. There big staged events smack a little too close to Nuremberg rallies for my taste.

This bogus temple's main aim is nothing but money. More money you give the more recognition you get. Still not convinced? Anybody try it out yourself. Its just strange that Thailand as a Buddhist country allows this to happen and flourish. The army should invoke Article 44 to demolish this temple and ban their practice within the kingdom.

Nothing like a golden UFO to lend credibility to a religion.

Buddhism is closer to a philosophy than a religion at heart, but over time and especially here in Thailand it has become a form of greed, superstition and idiocy. I consider myself a Buddhist and when I first came here I was shocked at the sheer ignorance at what the Buddha actually taught.

Instead of organizing such big expensive events, they can donate to schools, or can run schools, or any other activities that brings knowledge to students.

...donations go one-way....to the 'temple'...mainly in the form of solid gold statues....not sure if they look like Buddhas or some other beings...

Although Dhammakaya is allowed to carry on, it is not strictly Buddhist, for various reasons. One very important one is that it promises a heavenly sphere of existence to all who place a Buddha statue in and around it's chedi. This, besides the fact that it concerns ridiculous amounts, is not Buddhist. One can only proceed by Kusala actions, thoughts and attitude, leaving Akusala actions alone. Simply said. And the villagers are right: Lord Buddha proclaimed that in no way ANY ventures by the Sangha should be a bother to the general population. In a way it DOES show the free attitude towards religions that they let Dhammakaya carry on. If people want to believe rather than seek the truth it is up to them.

This bogus temple's main aim is nothing but money. More money you give the more recognition you get. Still not convinced? Anybody try it out yourself. Its just strange that Thailand as a Buddhist country allows this to happen and flourish. The army should invoke Article 44 to demolish this temple and ban their practice within the kingdom.

After reading only your first sentences, I thought, you were talking about the official Thai Buddhism........................coffee1.gif

Instead of organizing such big expensive events, they can donate to schools, or can run schools, or any other activities that brings knowledge to students.

That is correct, but bringing knowledge to students has never been the point here in Thailand, is it ?

Secondly, this particular temple's abbot is involved in a huge money scam and faces indictment very soon as well, so the people's sentiment has changed dramatically towrds him and his followers.

There is no business like holy business my mum always told us.

I am an atheist and an anti-theist on all days ending in the letter Y. So declared I have travelled extensively and to describe the brand of buddhism practiced in this part of the world as anything short of "disneyland buddhism" would be an injustice. I have days here were only the good manners learnt as a child stop me from bursting into raucous laughter at what is happening.

Same here. I dont go to temples unless they are ancient cuz I like old buildings. Many Thai friends have invited me and I refuse cuz it's a farce. Tam boon, in white clothes, happy harries for 2-3 hours, smiling and waiing and kissing @$$, and then back to iphone, feudalism, cheap consumerism, soaps, greed and daily envy...

For being the most populated country in the world of Buddhists, the Thais really have lost their way. However, much could be said in a similar way concerning the West and Christianity. The Dalai Lama has said that at the core of most major leading religions there is compassion, somehow that has been lost among the journey throughout the years and religion is no longer about spirituality, peace and compassion, but more about politics and control.

I don't need religion or supreme being slash guru slash eastern philosophy to feel compassion. Humanism is my way...

Buddhism at it's core is a guide of being the most human a person can be with wisdom, compassion and awareness, that is if studied and practiced properly imo

I've watched their TV program and marvel at the hundreds of the faithful sitting out there on the ground packed like sardines in perfect symmetry. I know it's show business Buddhism but I find the main monk's voice very soothing and tend to nod off after listening to him for 10 min or so.

Edited by Tonawatchee