life family education UK Thailand

ArranP

I have 3 luk krueng children, 2 with my first thai wife ( now divorced ) and 1 from my thai partner.

The 2 children from my first wife, ages 7 and 4, are with me in the UK, we have been here for 6 months after staying in Thailand for 3 years, where the children attended a British International School.

My partner and child are still inThailand.

I'm weighing up the prospect of returning to Thailand, putting the children in a Thai school, and my ex-wife play more of a role in their upbringing, myself also joining with my Thai partner and having more contact with my son.

I have in the past hinged most of my decisions around education than I had on family ties, and did before pay for an international school away from where mother lived, but now having less funds available it has led me to revalue that. My parents tell me not to put too much value on education or stress too much about it, and contact with family is of benefit to the children too, they say the children will find their own way, its not just the best school. My thai partner is against paying for expensive schooling.

I think about my childrens future in the UK if we stayed here, after finishing university, coming out with no job, what they will have to look forward too, dark dank weather, the cold, the wet, stressed people, prospect of living on benefits, or struggling to rent a flat or small home, the prospects in the UK from a british education, if I don't want life in the UK for me, why should I expect them to do it.

on the other hand in Thailand, money is a lot less, people work long hours, but most seem happy, sun shines bright, its warm, live more outdoors, and children would mother AND father ( hopefully ) living in the same country, not so far away.

However I worry about them going into thai school, but to what end, is life in the UK more preferable to a life in Thailand.

I suppose I'm looking for people to tell me, don't worry too much about thai school, education is not everything, let the children grow up near both parents, and do you really think the UK is all that its cracked up to be, and if its not then why worry all that much about its education.

but who knows, I've done alot of thinking, I need help with bringing up my children, I don't want to do it alone, I hope they will be ok tomorrow with the decisions I make today.

Edited by ArranP

Op, you seem depressed & all doom & gloom

People moan about the uk

Remember in Thai nothing decent is free

Here you can get good healthcare, education, benefits if needed, pension,

In Thai if you have no money you're screwed & so are your kids

It grates on me people putting down the uk. Everything changes & there's good & bad everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Op, you seem depressed & all doom & gloom

People moan about the uk

Remember in Thai nothing decent is free

Here you can get good healthcare, education, benefits if needed, pension,

In Thai if you have no money you're screwed & so are your kids

It grates on me people putting down the uk. Everything changes & there's good & bad everywhere

depressed and worried at the same time, I really don't want to be here in the UK, I find it difficult adjusting to living indoors all the time, and I need help with the children, I worry for the children and their future, good point about health care.

Edited by ArranP

Healthcare is paid by the government for Thai nationals

Yeah but it's govt hospitals that are rubbish.

Where do you live in UK mate?

Hi, Wrexham North Wales.

my son was born in a govt hospital, I recovered from a car accident in a govt hospital, the thin mattress was very uncomfortable, but the rest of it was ok.

If I stay in the UK until the children are 18 and then move to Thailand its unlikely they will follow, and children will be left alone in UK with both parents in Thailand.

If I move to Thailand now, children will likely stay in Thailand when they leave school.

If you want advise from people on here, it would be better to inform us why your thai partner and your son are still in Thailand.

Is your plan that they will follow you later or is it that your thai partner, for whatever reason, doesnt want to come to live in Wales ?

As an aside, there must be a reason why you were granted custody of your kids. Solely based on financials ?

If you want advise from people on here, it would be better to inform us why your thai partner and your son are still in Thailand.

Is your plan that they will follow you later or is it that your thai partner, for whatever reason, doesnt want to come to live in Wales ?

As an aside, there must be a reason why you were granted custody of your kids. Solely based on financials ?

I'm not sure what they will do.

Wife agreed to sole custody for children to live with me to attend international school, I lived in Phuket she lives in Nakhon Sawan.

If I stay UK, I can't see the children leaving for Thailand when they are 18 and I can't see me leaving them here to go to to Thailand.

And I don't want to accept the UK as my home for the rest of my life.

Why doesn't your current wife think it's a good idea to spend money on a good education....she must realise how poor the Thai education system is..

Alot of people comment on how poor the Thai education system is, and it scares the living daylights out of me so much so that I sent my children to a British International School.

but needs must, if you cannot afford international school then what, thai education being "poor" means you would be doing your children an injustice by putting them in one ?

It seems to me the following:

1.. UK Education is a prelude to life in the UK for most (and abroad for some)

2.. Thai Education is a prelude to life in Thailand.

3. British International Education is a prelude to life in the UK taught from in a foreign country.

It seems if you intend to live in Thailand most will send their children to a Thai school, except for some those that can afford it may send their children to an international school.

If you intend to live in the UK, then you will either send you children to an international school or move back to the UK.

So you must include in your decision process where you intend to live...

It seems that you have put yourself in a difficult situation. It certainly looks like you yourself want to be in Thailand but dont have the financials to put your children ongoing in an international school.

You wrote as well thàt your current gf is not sure about following you to Wales. Only you know the reasons why she is not sure.

As far as Thai education is concerned, thai or english program, it is not the end of the world, though close. It would mean alot more involvement from you to teach them additionally, according to what you think is beneficiary for them.

As your kids are still young and you seem to put your own desires almost at 1st place, just give it a try again in Thailand and time will let you know if it was really the best choice for you and your children.

On a personal note....based on my observations of thai society and its educationsystem, I know what I would do.

But we are all different.

Its easy to be high and mighty when you can afford international fees as I once was, it is only when you cannot afford the fees are you forced to reappraise.

I prefer to live in Thailand, I would like my children to live there with me.

Life in the UK has its equal share of problems, people struggle to pay their monthly bills here just as much as elseehere.

Why should i expect my children to live here when I and others don't.