Bangkok Bank Gal asked for a letter from Immigration?

Believe letter is available if doing 90 day reports - alternative should be a letter from your Embassy.

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
Embassy or international organization
Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

Varies from branch to branch as to how much documentation they want with an emphasis on proving residence. Many posts of folks who open accounts with nothing more than the 30 day entry stamp...and then here's another one where someone on a long term visa/extension needs to prove residence. Try another branch. I'm on a retirement visa and have several accounts with Bangkok Bank here in Bangkok...one opened within the last year...have never needed a certificate of residence...seem the retirement extension of stay/long stay visa always satisfied them. But I will admit I always show them my Yellow Book also which "sometimes" they make a copy of; sometimes not.

Varies from branch to branch as to how much documentation they want with an emphasis on proving residence. Many posts of folks who open accounts with nothing more than the 30 day entry stamp...and then here's another one where someone on a long term visa/extension needs to prove residence. Try another branch. I'm on a retirement visa and have several accounts with Bangkok Bank here in Bangkok...one opened within the last year...have never needed a certificate of residence...seem the retirement extension of stay/long stay visa always satisfied them. But I will admit I always show them my Yellow Book also which "sometimes" they make a copy of; sometimes not.

"sometimes" Thai drivers is enough or something like a electric bill has worked for me in the past.... But i have heard more and more banks are asking for more detailed stuff thesedays...

It is a coding issue, the clerk who handles opening of the account must call the main office in Bangkok to obtain an over-ride code that will allow them to input your passport number in the ID field, there is no requirement for a certificate of residency, either from Immigration or your Embassy to open up a Bangkok Bank account with an ATM card and Internet banking so long as you have a visa and not just an exempt stamp

They don't know how to do it so they come up with these nonsensical requirements rather than admit that they don't know what to do

Go to another branch or take a Thai speaker with you and force the issue, eventually all the branches will get on the same sheet of music but change is slow here, glacial in fact

There used to be a member here that worked for Bangkok Bank and he used to assist with these problems but I guess he was too foreign to continue working for them

It is a coding issue, the clerk who handles opening of the account must call the main office in Bangkok to obtain an over-ride code that will allow them to input your passport number in the ID field, there is no requirement for a certificate of residency, either from Immigration or your Embassy to open up a Bangkok Bank account with an ATM card and Internet banking so long as you have a visa and not just an exempt stamp

They don't know how to do it so they come up with these nonsensical requirements rather than admit that they don't know what to do

Go to another branch or take a Thai speaker with you and force the issue, eventually all the branches will get on the same sheet of music but change is slow here, glacial in fact

There used to be a member here that worked for Bangkok Bank and he used to assist with these problems but I guess he was too foreign to continue working for them

He still works for the bank but he got out of this forum, understandably, because of the chronic irrational bashing the usual suspects would give Bangkok Bank.

The official term for such a form is 'bai lap long' and is required upon orders of the new government.

Although I have several accounts with Kasikorn Thai MBK they refuse to open an additional account without such a form.

You might try Kasokorn Thai in Royal Garden Shopping center. They always have been lenient.

I lived and worked in Thailand for years (1999-2000 and then again 2004-2007). My wife (a Thai national) and I opened an account in both our names at Siam Commercial Bank in Nong Prue, Cholnburi. We've maintained the account ever since, and use it as a method to send money to her family there when needed, and have done annual small wire transfers into it from our U.S. based bank to keep the account active. I can still access it via the SCBeasy website, and see the current balance, but now when we try to wire money it is rejected as "invalid beneficiary." Her family went to a local branch and were told it's a foreigner account and they could also not deposit even THB100 to the account.

Anyone know why? Has a regulatory change occurred? More brilliant anti-foreigner policy-making, or something less nefarious?

I lived and worked in Thailand for years (1999-2000 and then again 2004-2007). My wife (a Thai national) and I opened an account in both our names at Siam Commercial Bank in Nong Prue, Cholnburi. We've maintained the account ever since, and use it as a method to send money to her family there when needed, and have done annual small wire transfers into it from our U.S. based bank to keep the account active. I can still access it via the SCBeasy website, and see the current balance, but now when we try to wire money it is rejected as "invalid beneficiary." Her family went to a local branch and were told it's a foreigner account and they could also not deposit even THB100 to the account.

Anyone know why? Has a regulatory change occurred? More brilliant anti-foreigner policy-making, or something less nefarious?

Why not just ask the bank about the problem ?

Your Thai wife could inquire without any "language" barrier.

Thai banks now require the SSN of American account holders to comply with US banking laws FATCA on reporting so may not have on file? Would contact bank and ask - you will likely have to fill out a basic data form with that information for there files. This is just a guess but this is a new regulation for US accounts and banks have agreed to comply.