Looking for a few day's R&R

Khon Kaen Dave

I'm in khon kaen,i realise that as a province KK is landlocked but i would like to take the wife away for a few days of fun.Can anyone tell me the nearest coastal resort,IE,some ferang bar's,pool tables,a bit of beach and sea.Plus a few reasonable hotel's

Thank's in advance.

KKD

that as a province KK is landlocked

So true. Its about the center of the subcontinent (no joke, just geographical).

South China Sea, Gulf of Thailand and Andaman See (Indian Ocean) as far away as can be tongue.png (between 400 to 500 km).

Gulf of Thailand is closest: hop on a plane to Bangkok (Don Mueang or Suvarnabhumi and roll the dice whether go southwest (Hua Hin, Cha Am) or go southeast (Pattaya, Jomtien and others). Your wife will probably not like to see Pattaya whistling.gif

If you want to spend big, you can fly on to the South (Phuket, Samui). No idea how the weather is there currently.

And don't go before the New Year holidays are over (after Jan 4).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Chantaburi coast. Very Thai, very relaxing. Pattaya this is not.

Koh Chang if you must have yer falangs around you.

Can't be bothered with all that border nonsense at the turn of the year!

Mind you the Lao borders are pretty stress free and See Pan Don (4,000 islands) is extraordinarily chilled at any time of year.

It's a 7 to 8hr drive to say Rayong. Maybe forgo seaside and go to a mekong town. Can't help you on bar scene but worth visiting are Mukdahan (3hrs), Chiang Khan (4hrs), Khong Chiam (5hrs, tohsang hotel is great) are nice places. Khao Kor and Khao Yai are worth visiting and only 3hrs away. I liked Loie and the area around it.

I live near Korat and just got back from driving to and from Ko Chang if that's your favoured mode of transport. It was useful having the car there especially as we stayed at a really lovely hotel called Klong Phrao resort recommend by another TV.member. It's on a lovely beach in really nice open surroundings with reasonable pool and very nice atmosphere and restaurant . We did have deluxe rooms near beach with sea view which was worth the extra. I didn't go to any bars but driving past they looked mostly sad and dead. Went on a brilliant day long snorkelling trip on Xmas day,well worth the price.

Used to love Phuket until 5/6 years ago but hear it's nasty now so won't ever go back there. Same with Samui to which I recently returned to visit a friend..horrible place now. Not the time of year now either,but try Kanhom nearby outside rainy season. Much nicer although quiet and two days drive.

Thanks for the reply's regarding the few day's R&R post.I think i will find a flight to somewhere from Udon.I live in KK now but have only just moved there.The wife and i had a bar in Pattaya for a good few year's,and ive seen so many changes,that its not on my 'places to visit' list.In fact i couldn't care less if the whole place dropped into the ocean.The tourist's there are a different pedigree now. I rather fancy the Vietnam thing.

Thanks again gent's.

Happy new year to you all.

KKD

Thanks for the reply's regarding the few day's R&R post.I think i will find a flight to somewhere from Udon.I live in KK now but have only just moved there.The wife and i had a bar in Pattaya for a good few year's,and ive seen so many changes,that its not on my 'places to visit' list.In fact i couldn't care less if the whole place dropped into the ocean.The tourist's there are a different pedigree now. I rather fancy the Vietnam thing.

Thanks again gent's.

Happy new year to you all.

KKD

If you are set on Vietnam and want the beach I would suggest Mui ne. You can get the train from Saigon. Nha trang is another option but lots of mafia there because of the tourists. I would avoid going anywhere north of Hue (unfriendly people and the food is nowhere near as nice as in the central and southern regions.

One of the hotels on the beach in Danang would be another option or Hoi an but Hoi an is very touristy IMHO. Phu Quoc is nice but quiet.

If you go be very aware of petty theft and watch your stuff (everywhere).

Have a great holiday!