104 killed in road accidents on first two New Year 'dangerous days'

Jonathan Fairfield

Nearly 85% motorbikes (small number I guess bicycles) speaks volumes. Wonder how many after 6 in the evening. I drive 70km 2/3 times a week at 17:30/18:30 and I will pass 6/8 motorbikes with no working rear light ..total madness. Then later in the evening ..no helmets and boy races .. All that and the majority with very low car driving ability and awareness and using mobile phones etc. The numbers are going to stay high.

Edited by rmacee

Fast trucks.....careless youths on motorcycles helmet-less...lead the way on fatalities, of course.. and of course... drivers in the far left lane, cutting across at the least minute to make a right turn..

I've never understood what the supposed ' road safety ' stalls at the roadside were supposed to achieve and this was reinforced during the early hours of 29 Dec.

I left Nth. Isaan early to drive to Chonburi to meet up with an old friend who's here on holiday and during the trip passed several of the roadside units. All were in a blaze of lights, red warning beacons on the road outside and many had official vehicles parked at the side BUT none had any staff in sight !

I'm supposing everyone had found somewhere more comfortable to sleep than in the usual plastic chairs.

There is even more carnage to come on 9th January.

This is Childrens Day, a day which is ment to be a joyful, and happy day for children, and their parents.

For several years now, I have witnessed the Thais racing around Pattaya trying to get all the freebees from the varius Supermarkets, Malls, Etc for their kids.

Many of these children will never see out the day, due to the insanity displayed on the roads, by their " Loving " and doteing parents racing to find a free Teddy Bear, or carton of milk.

Only in Thailand could this be called a day of joy.

The big problem is lack of driver training.There are plenty of driving schools out there but the Thais wont use them because they say there to expensive, i sent my wife for 10 lessons at a cost of 2800bt, the guy that taught her was very good,taught her in a manual.what happens is they get a family member to teach them who is a piss poor driver and he or she passes all the bad habits on.Recently 2 of my wife's nieces went and bought cars,neither of them had ever driven before but went and purchased cars and were straight on the road,no licences and absolutely no idea what they are doing,but out there on the roads.very scary!

you can add to the above,arrogant,pig-headed,brainless,no manners and patience.
Are you mixing this up with The Only Way Is Essex..[emoji165][emoji481]

And the rest, hundreds die each day on the roads here. Just not reported or reported incorrectly.

There used to be a FB page with all the daily carnage & it was horrific. It has now been removed.

The mixture of piddly motorbikes & huge SUVS, trucks, buses + alcohol is not a great combination. Add a soupcon of speed!! and you have the recipe for disaster.

Article back in March 2015 lays it on the line: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/