Source: Obama to act next week on gun background checks

Jonathan Fairfield

A lot of the problem is that everyone argues their point from their own bias. The academic research on the effects of gun violence is pretty limited. The NRA effectively stopped the CDC research back in 1996, and the lobby still manages to stifle any dedicated funding.

Maybe if we actually had some data the argument might become more reasoned....then again you need to ask the question why the NRA doesn't want data!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2015/01/14/why-the-cdc-still-isnt-researching-gun-violence-despite-the-ban-being-lifted-two-years-ago/

Maybe for similar reasons some people don't want oil companies researching the causes of climate change...they don't trust them to do an honest job of it.

Why is the Center of Disease Control the only ones who can do studies on gun violence anyway?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of the problem is that everyone argues their point from their own bias. The academic research on the effects of gun violence is pretty limited. The NRA effectively stopped the CDC research back in 1996, and the lobby still manages to stifle any dedicated funding.

Maybe if we actually had some data the argument might become more reasoned....then again you need to ask the question why the NRA doesn't want data!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2015/01/14/why-the-cdc-still-isnt-researching-gun-violence-despite-the-ban-being-lifted-two-years-ago/

Please stop blaming things on the NRA, of which I'm not a member. The NRA is very small compared to actual gun owners.

The existence of the NRA is a symptom, not a cause of Americans wanting guns. The reason that politicians don't vote for more gun laws is that too many of them would get voted out of office and they know it. Owning guns is mainstream in America. There are 100 million of us and we vote.

Obama never has to run for reelection and therein lies his feeling of freedom to do what he's doing. He never did anything like that his first term. He's a Lame Duck Run AmokTM.

Please stop blaming things on the NRA, of which I'm not a member. The NRA is very small compared to actual gun owners.

The existence of the NRA is a symptom, not a cause of Americans wanting guns. The reason that politicians don't vote for more gun laws is that too many of them would get voted out of office and they know it. Owning guns is mainstream in America. There are 100 million of us and we vote.

Obama never has to run for reelection and therein lies his feeling of freedom to do what he's doing. He never did anything like that his first term. He's a Lame Duck Run AmokTM.

I own a gun, not against owning guns, and I also vote. But sorry the NRA, whether we like it or not wields disproportionate lobbying power and certainly does not by a long shot voice the opinion of all gun owners. Read the article, that says it all Edited by GinBoy2

I own a gun, not against owning guns, and I also vote. But sorry the NRA, whether we like it or not wields disproportionate lobbying power and certainly does not by a long shot voice the opinion of all gun owners. Read the article, that says it all

I agree. I don't belong. They don't speak for me.

I don't believe they have that much lobbying power but that's OK. I think the gun owner/voters have the power and they are polled by politicians.

Cheers.