Airport Noise Related to - Flight Path Just After Takeoff - Takeoffs Now Radically Increasing?

BaronOfThunder

As I understand it; not all planes have a transponder fitted, even some of the older big birds; hence you will not see on screen what you can see with your eyes.

And of course to relay the info, you need a receiver on the ground and there is no one receiving between Lamphun and kampeng phet? or therabouts.

So they disappear off screen and a new "app" reader could be fooled into thinking it has blown up!; inadvertantly alert the authorities and then what?....app designer to blame

All aircraft, for certain in commercial carrier, are required to have one. However not all may have ADS-B receivers which is what Flight Radar 24 uses. I only fly smaller aircraft but never flew one that didn't have one in it. FR24 has ADS-B receivers all over the world but will have to check to see where they are located near CM.

A list of what aircraft FR24 can't monitor - https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

Looks like Thailand has a couple of hundred or more receivers - https://www.flightradar24.com/share-statistics

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pratt and Whitney's new engines may soon solve airport noise with ~ 75% reduction in noise levels at full power take off.

Living at BWT we haven't noticed any increase in noise levels although frequency has increased. And no, I'm not deaf. Yet. 555

As per the above, NOK8316 is on a North bound final to Chiang Mai airport so routing a departing aircraft the other way is not unusual. Another flight departing north just now and aircraft on north long final approaching.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There may be a Kan Air Cessna Caravan in front turning onto the approach, coming in from Mae Hong Son or RTAF L39 jets landing.

There was a small prop plane, Kan Air, just went directly overhead of our house in Mae Hia landing north. So maybe only the big birds are shown on FR24. It makes sense to depart North in a way as the majority of incoming traffic is coming from the south and it is safer to depart north and vector on a south route clear of all incoming traffic.

As I understand it; not all planes have a transponder fitted, even some of the older big birds; hence you will not see on screen what you can see with your eyes.

And of course to relay the info, you need a receiver on the ground and there is no one receiving between Lamphun and kampeng phet? or therabouts.

So they disappear off screen and a new "app" reader could be fooled into thinking it has blown up!; inadvertantly alert the authorities and then what?....app designer to blame

Sorry this is rubbish. All commercial aircraft have Transponders, may or may not have ADS-B. In most countries only gliders and older light aircraft without an electrical system are operated without. Generally only permitted outside of controlled airspace. Not legal in Thailand as far as I know.

Edited by arunsakda

Pratt and Whitney's new engines may soon solve airport noise with ~ 75% reduction in noise levels at full power take off.

Living at BWT we haven't noticed any increase in noise levels although frequency has increased. And no, I'm not deaf. Yet. 555

75% reduction in noise levels at full power???

Sorry, but that is totally and absolutely impossible.

Roll on graduation later this month.

Somehow last year they managed to route all the flights out to the South for a couple of days - so it is possible.

Of course the road traffic was a problem - just can not win!

Just a thought:

I do not think we have considered the effects of temperature and humidity, especially layers of air having different temperatures which could act to reflect sound in the summer hot humid months, but not so much in the dry cooler air, as we have now.

Perhaps this has more of an effect than most people might imagine.

Yes, especially if you had the windows mostly shut in September, but now open with the cooler temperatures. wink.png

Anyway, it'll increase a lot more. It would make sense to build another terminal building and a bunch more gates. Also: a car park building.

With those upgrades the airport should be good to go for another 10-15 years.

BTW, Nimman / Canal Road is not the only place with mountain views. Also, how's the traffic working out for you overthere? :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I arrived at the beginning of Dec and scoped out areas to stay for 3 months. One visit to the Nimman area had me puzzled as to why it was so popular, given the aircraft noise - it got struck off my list straight away. Makes more sense if it's worse than usual at the moment.

Reminded me of the post where a woman said the proposed boondoggle of a new airport should be built in Sankamphaeng ASAP so she could sleep. I asked "What of the people enjoying their quiet country lifestyle in Sankhampaeng, they should suffer so you can sleep soundly in the Condo you rented under the arrival path of an airport?

It IS very advantageous from a fuel/time perspective to depart in the direction of destination, especially on a short flight. You note correctly many of the BKK flights land north and takeoff south. Another point you are missing is that the terminal is much closer to the north end of the runway, much shorter taxi out time, so it is a real benefit for BKK flights to land north and takeoff south (as you desire). I am a commercial pilot and operated in various situations where efficiency is increased doing things like this, and even tailwind approach and landings, when wind is within limits and it is otherwise safe to do so.

The problem is it is not practical for Air Traffic Control to coordinate opposite direction departure when aircraft are on approach to land. During peak arrival times and as air traffic increases in general this situation becomes more common. I can't imagine where you get the idea A380's have ever operated into CNX. The other thing about the flights "WITH THROTTLES WIDE OPEN" making a huge difference as you say, I just want to make something clear. At flap retraction altitude all jet aircraft climb at their particular maximum continuous climb thrust, every time. There are differences in noise profile depending on engine type, flight path,etc.

If you are sensitive to aircraft noise you should probably move, flight numbers are only going to increase.I'm directly under the 36 departure path and get to hear it all, even the formation flights of RTAF jets on weekdays.

Jet noise, the sound of freedom.

1. Strangely enough, I enjoy the jet trainers, if that is what they are. I do not mind the military aircraft.

2. It is an interesting point that the throttle settings are not as I had imagined. What I thought was that the throttles would be set at maximum thrust during takeoff and while climbing past my house, which is about 15 seconds past the end of the runway. I guess the altitude is about 2500 feet when they pass over. But I do not know.

3. What I was saying is that the jets which turn very soon after takeoff have reduced the throttle setting so that the sound level is very much diminished. And they are no longer accelerating, but turning.

4. Also, do you know what if any noise abatement procedures are used when taking off NORTH from the runway?

5/ Yes. It seemed obvious to me that the flights heading north, or to CHina , would definitely want to head north on takeoff and not south. However, apparently all the flights are taking off headed North, and then fly out quite far before turning south. And even though a majority are headed south to BKK, still they take off North! makes not sense, since in addition it bother me and my neighbors here.

6. I am very sure, as are you, that flights will increase each year, however I do not know what the maximum handling capacity might be for this airport, and how much more the traffic can grow without putting in a new runway. It was not until this past month of December that the noise levels rose markedly, and I still do not know if it is just due to the direction or position of the traffic, or it might be another factor that makes the noise seem much louder.

No one likes airport noise. However, some people love to move close to the airports of the world.

I cannot move, unless I want to leave the mountain views.

To respond to points 3) and 4) it appears you are still confused. I don't want to confuse you more with the subject of reduced thrust/assumed temperature takeoff but There is no reason to reduce power at all on departure unless a level off is required by ATC (uncommon at CNX) but the fact is all jet aircraft climb out at maximum continuous climb thrust once flap retraction altitude is acheived. Whatever noise differences you're noticing are completely fanciful, only o differs by flight path and engine type. Yes temperatures and wind must have some nominal effect on sound propagation.

If you are really 15 seconds off the end of 36 there is no noise abatement procedure that can help you. I have only flown into CNX once on a golf charter from Korea and I think it is a standard ICAO-A, sorry I cant access the info now but that is a maximum climb to 3000 AFE then flap retraction. You need to move or adapt.

Why would noise spoil a mountain view by the way? Would a deaf person enjoying a view have their enjoyment spoiled?

Me personally I am disturbed by street noise of vehicles and the horrible crowing of cocks . I dont care about nightclub "boom boom boom" or aircraft. That is why I live in a high floor Condo that does not face the street. Easy peasy lemon squezzy.

Edited by arunsakda

Reminded me of the post where a woman said the proposed boondoggle of a new airport should be built in Sankamphaeng ASAP so she could sleep. I asked "What of the people enjoying their quiet country lifestyle in Sankhampaeng, they should suffer so you can sleep soundly in the Condo you rented under the arrival path of an airport?

It IS very advantageous from a fuel/time perspective to depart in the direction of destination, especially on a short flight. You note correctly many of the BKK flights land north and takeoff south. Another point you are missing is that the terminal is much closer to the north end of the runway, much shorter taxi out time, so it is a real benefit for BKK flights to land north and takeoff south (as you desire). I am a commercial pilot and operated in various situations where efficiency is increased doing things like this, and even tailwind approach and landings, when wind is within limits and it is otherwise safe to do so.

The problem is it is not practical for Air Traffic Control to coordinate opposite direction departure when aircraft are on approach to land. During peak arrival times and as air traffic increases in general this situation becomes more common. I can't imagine where you get the idea A380's have ever operated into CNX. The other thing about the flights "WITH THROTTLES WIDE OPEN" making a huge difference as you say, I just want to make something clear. At flap retraction altitude all jet aircraft climb at their particular maximum continuous climb thrust, every time. There are differences in noise profile depending on engine type, flight path,etc.

If you are sensitive to aircraft noise you should probably move, flight numbers are only going to increase.I'm directly under the 36 departure path and get to hear it all, even the formation flights of RTAF jets on weekdays.

1. Strangely enough, I enjoy the jet trainers, if that is what they are. I do not mind the military aircraft.

2. It is an interesting point that the throttle settings are not as I had imagined. What I thought was that the throttles would be set at maximum thrust during takeoff and while climbing past my house, which is about 15 seconds past the end of the runway. I guess the altitude is about 2500 feet when they pass over. But I do not know.

3. What I was saying is that the jets which turn very soon after takeoff have reduced the throttle setting so that the sound level is very much diminished. And they are no longer accelerating, but turning.

4. Also, do you know what if any noise abatement procedures are used when taking off NORTH from the runway?

5/ Yes. It seemed obvious to me that the flights heading north, or to CHina , would definitely want to head north on takeoff and not south. However, apparently all the flights are taking off headed North, and then fly out quite far before turning south. And even though a majority are headed south to BKK, still they take off North! makes not sense, since in addition it bother me and my neighbors here.

6. I am very sure, as are you, that flights will increase each year, however I do not know what the maximum handling capacity might be for this airport, and how much more the traffic can grow without putting in a new runway. It was not until this past month of December that the noise levels rose markedly, and I still do not know if it is just due to the direction or position of the traffic, or it might be another factor that makes the noise seem much louder.

No one likes airport noise. However, some people love to move close to the airports of the world.

To respond to points 3) and 4) it appears you are still confused. I don't want to confuse you more with the subject of reduced thrust/assumed temperature takeoff but There is no reason to reduce power at all on departure unless a level off is required by ATC (uncommon at CNX) but the fact is all jet aircraft climb out at maximum continuous climb thrust once flap retraction altitude is acheived. Whatever noise differences you're noticing are completely fanciful, only o differs by flight path and engine type. Yes temperatures and wind must have some nominal effect on sound propagation.

If you are really 15 seconds off the end of 36 there is no noise abatement procedure that can help you. I have only flown into CNX once on a golf charter from Korea and I think it is a standard ICAO-A, sorry I cant access the info now but that is a maximum climb to 3000 AFE then flap retraction. You need to move or adapt.

Why would noise spoil a mountain view by the way? Would a deaf person enjoying a view have their enjoyment spoiled?

Me personally I am disturbed by street noise of vehicles and the horrible crowing of cocks . I dont care about nightclub "boom boom boom" or aircraft. That is why I live in a high floor Condo that does not face the street. Easy peasy lemon squezzy.

A golf charter from Korea. Were you an Asiana pilot? I vaguely remember Asiana 767's visiting CNX on golf charters about 15 years ago.

FR24 doesn't always display the CM to Udon flights.

The 2 noisiest take-offs seem to be 2 flights near midnight; I assume they're older planes with less modern engines.

1. Well you know what they say about assuming.

2. Here are the flights for tonight close to midnight. (I checked that there is nothing after midnight until 6am, although in case of delays then these flights may take off a bit after midnight, of course)

post-64232-0-79799700-1451694359_thumb.j

3. These flights use the following equipment:

• Air China to Beijing: Boeing 737-800
  • Korean Air to Busan: Boeing 737-800
  • Juneyao Airlines to Shanghai: Airbus A320
  • Korean Air to Seoul: Airbus A330-300

4. All of these are modern planes and very similar to all other flights departing throughout the day.

5. What you are experiencing is that the general environment is quieter at night, plus you're less likely to be actively doing something, causing it to be more noticeable.

NB: Info from Flightstats.com, which along with Flightradar24.com is exceptionally useful to check on departures and arrivals.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

6. For reference, all flights for today.

. These are departures only, so this is half of what someone might hear.

VIII. Sure's a difference from a couple years ago when we just got a handful of TG flights to Bangkok and not much else!

Morning Flights:

post-64232-0-20823500-1451695801_thumb.p

Afternoon Flights:

post-64232-0-51148000-1451696537_thumb.p

Evening Flights:

post-64232-0-90763300-1451696546_thumb.p

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not at all ...

Read all about it here

A320E's should become the replacement aircraft for most short to medium haul operations which make up 90% of CNX movements. Up to 75% reduction in ground noise might be achievable compared with some of the older series aircraft in operation. That buzz-saw noise, more prominent with RR engines, is the jet fan tips at supersonic speed during full thrust take-off/climb out.

Not at all ...

Read all about it here

A320E's should become the replacement aircraft for most short to medium haul operations which make up 90% of CNX movements. Up to 75% reduction in ground noise might be achievable compared with some of the older series aircraft in operation. That buzz-saw noise, more prominent with RR engines, is the jet fan tips at supersonic speed during full thrust take-off/climb out.

Interesting,actually, brilliant tech and a great leap forward in noise reduction but i think it may be confusing about the 75% part.

This from P&W site:

The quieter engines are projected to reduce the jet's noise 3 to 5 decibels at specific points around an airport, which is projected to shrink the zones covered by noise restrictions by 75%, according to Pratt & Whitney and CFM.
"That means that aircraft noise, in most cases, will be contained within the confines of the airport," said Jewell of CFM.
Take a look here and compare standard with new type ;
And take a look/listen at this..definitely an improvement,{ but not 75% reduction} which is good news anyways.;
Edited by garryjohns

The 2 noisiest take-offs seem to be 2 flights near midnight; I assume they're older planes with less modern engines.

2. Here are the flights for tonight close to midnight. (I checked that there is nothing after midnight until 6am, although in case of delays then these flights may take off a bit after midnight, of course)

4. All of these are modern planes and very similar to all other flights departing throughout the day.

5. What you are experiencing is that the general environment is quieter at night, plus you're less likely to be actively doing something, causing it to be more noticeable.

NB: Info from Flightstats.com, which along with Flightradar24.com is exceptionally useful to check on departures and arrivals.

I'm usually in bed for all 4 of those flights and the last 2 are significantly louder and the engines sound much coarser than the first 2. Maybe they went for the budget engine option?

I live in Moobaan Tannaboon Hang Dong, directly under the "usual" incoming flight path and close to the "usual" take-off flight path. I can see (and hear almost every take off and landing. The noise lasts for maybe 20 seconds (including the doppler effect) and is then gone. I don't find it that intrusive and it certainly doesn't stop us enjoying breakfast outside every day and occasional BBQs and party's. But I do sympathise with the OP if the level of noise pollution is distressing for him

That being said, collecting data / statistics to confirm what we (all) already know (that CNX is getting busier), seems a relatively pointless exercise, not least of all because once you've got it (the data), apart from looking at it, there's nothing you can do with it. Plotting a 5 year comparison curve to confirm levels of increased air traffic will no doubt, substantiate his fears that noise levels are going to increase further. There is zero probability that the flight paths will be changed or that air traffic will significantly decrease in the near future not forgetting that the much-touted construction of a 2nd Chiang Mai airport out towards San Kamphaeng has been deferred for the foreseeable future (and even if gets the go-ahead it will take years to complete).

Seems to me that what he wants to do is a really good idea if he intends staying in Chiang Mai for any length of time (or permanently) as he can then make plans regarding where he might want to live and not be bothered by increasing noise pollution in the future.

Good luck

JL-T

Edited by JLT

Just one clarification regarding my point about noise spoiling the view: Of course this is the case where I am, because how does one sit and enjoy a view when one cannot sit? In other words, sitting outside, which is where the view is located, has no longer become a pleasure. I mean who in their right mind would want to sit and listen to planes taking off directly overhead at 2000 feet, and climbing with engine throttles wide open? Just a clarification of the reality here, and I am not saying that I was wrong to move here, because there are other reasons for me being in this location, other than to enjoy the noise.

I hate cock crowing as well. And that is why I moved here. There are no cocks crowing.

Traffic, I do not mind, because I walk or take the Red Car, and I seldom go to the "city" area.

I have been using the app you suggested. In fact, I had used the website version of it a few years ago, I think, and had forgotten about it. The phone app is fine. But I wish they could writing in a addon to warn when a plane is about to take off. Still, great app. They tried to charge me 2.99USD per month for the premium version !

What I stated about throttling back. It seems true that some planes do throttle back when they make steep banking turn to the right to head south for BKK. At this point, they seem to level off a bit, you are right.

I live in Moobaan Tannaboon Hang Dong, directly under the "usual" incoming flight path and close to the "usual" take-off flight path. I can see (and hear almost every take off and landing. The noise lasts for maybe 20 seconds (including the doppler effect) and is then gone. I don't find it that intrusive and it certainly doesn't stop us enjoying breakfast outside every day and occasional BBQs and party's. But I do sympathise with the OP if the level of noise pollution is distressing for him

That being said, collecting data / statistics to confirm what we (all) already know (that CNX is getting busier), seems a relatively pointless exercise, not least of all because once you've got it (the data), apart from looking at it, there's nothing you can do with it. Plotting a 5 year comparison curve to confirm levels of increased air traffic will no doubt, substantiate his fears that noise levels are going to increase further. There is zero probability that the flight paths will be changed or that air traffic will significantly decrease in the near future not forgetting that the much-touted construction of a 2nd Chiang Mai airport out towards San Kamphaeng has been deferred for the foreseeable future (and even if gets the go-ahead it will take years to complete).

Seems to me that what he wants to do is a really good idea if he intends staying in Chiang Mai for any length of time (or permanently) as he can then make plans regarding where he might want to live and not be bothered by increasing noise pollution in the future.

Good luck

JL-T

This is interesting, because if you live in Hang Dong, from my understanding, this is south of the runway. I think that perhaps there are certain times of the year when the planes takeoff and climb right over your house, and then certain times of the year when they climb right over my house.

On the FR24 app, the yellow flight path track is drawn almost right through my house, and the altitude at the time is about 2000 feet, or 2200 feet.

I do not expect the air traffic to do anything other than increase. However, if the traffic would take off over your house, instead of mine, then it would be a definite improvement, because you state that it does not bother you as much as it seems to distress me.

Someone mentioned something about a graduation ceremony, and the fact that they can change the direction of takeoff at will.

One thing I hold out hope for is that if investment in this area rises sharply, and there is more money here, then the people with the most money will complain loudest, and then perhaps this would mean that they would begin taking off to the south, and landing FROM the North.

This might be a definite improvement.

It is not that I am that sensitive to the noise. However, it is definitely the case that I ENJOY sitting outside and hearing the birds, or the rustle of the leaves in the limbs of the Thai trees.

And how might that be possible when you have Lord KNows how many Decibels being emitted only 1/4 kilometer directly vertical over your head?

FOR SURE, I will move!!!!!!

I really like where I am, and it is a beautiful spot, with great views, however, unless this is just a New Year anomaly, then I will not be able to tolerate it for long. I do keep my aircon running 24 hours, year long, however with the glass door shut, I still get the rumble from the air, right through the glass and concrete walls.

Hopefully, this is just a short term noise pollution problem.

I'm usually in bed for all 4 of those flights and the last 2 are significantly louder and the engines sound much coarser than the first 2. Maybe they went for the budget engine option?

EXACTLY, this was my point. There are some flights which SEEM to me as if they are much more rumbling, and I think that it is the heavier flights. I do not know enough about the aircraft engine industry to identify the manufacturer, but some planes are louder than others. Some have a higher pitch wood router flavor to them. And others have no whine, but mostly just far off thunder sounds, except the thunder is coming from just above me.

I suppose, if I wanted to make a science of this, I can sit on my balcony and keep a record of the equipment type, and the subjective noise rating I would give it.

Or, I suppose I could rent some noise monitoring equipment.

OR, I suppose that with the Android NOTE series there might already be a fairly sophisticated noise monitoring application which is good enough to produce near professional noise monitoring results.

6. For reference, all flights for today.

. These are departures only, so this is half of what someone might hear.

VIII. Sure's a difference from a couple years ago when we just got a handful of TG flights to Bangkok and not much else!

Morning Flights:

attachicon.gifDepartures from CNX 2 Jan before noon.png

Afternoon Flights:

attachicon.gifDepartures from CNX 2 Jan afternoon.png

Evening Flights:

attachicon.gifDepartures from CNX 2 Jan evening.png

This is sort of exactly what I had been seeking. I would just like to find a list of the number of takeoffs from the CM airport on a given day. I guess I do not need to know the time. And if I cannot get the direction of takeoff, then OK.

If I can find the data for the past 5 years, then it will be easy to judge the impact, and the relative impact of what we are now experiencing.

I am amazed to read that there were only a few flights just a couple of years ago, and so this historical data would be very interesting to examine.

Just about everywhere in Chiang Mai city and the towns around the edges of the city have no aircraft disturbance or very little that it can be ignored and is no big deal. Only if you live at either end of the runway is it a problem. I love aircraft and aviation but there is no way i would want to live in the

Nimman area or around Big C Homepro at the other end. Whenever i am near the art museum or Nimman i always seem to be in thick traffic, breathing in fumes, with an an Air Asia A320 roaring above. Its a relief to get away.

Its no consolation to you Baron Of Thunder but i would guesstimate 90% plus of the cities residents get real benefit of having a very decent airport very close to the city and have no issues with the noise at all.

The A380 is an unusually quiet aircraft and the airport can't handle one doing passenger flights. An A380 did visit a few years ago as part of an Airbus round the world promotional thing. If i remember correctly the wing tip got sheared off at BKK before it made the hop up to CM.

Of course one amelioratory answer would be to use ONLY A380 aircraft, and fill them full. This would cut down on the number of flights, and would also reduce the noise pollution PER flight.

No, actually.

The Bass is exactly right. I have noted with consternation the fact that AT 2 IN THE MORNING I STILL hear these planes sometimes roaring overhead. I could not believe it. Also, I think that there might be some landings landing from the North.

I did not keep notes, and so I cannot confirm the exact time or direction. However, I DO know that these flights were happening after midnight, for sure. And not just a few minutes after, but hours after.

You mention '...taxi out time...'.

Reminds me of arriving / departing Ton Son Naut airport in Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City) in South Vietnam during the war.

My country sent most troops into / out of South Vietnam on commercial flights (which were quickly suspended / turned back if there was any indication of any attack or danger near the airport). The pilots / cabin crew got enormous 'danger money' allowances).

In those days Ton Son Naut airport had many runways, and commercial flights (there were many) had to use a runway which was a long way from the final arrival and disembarkation point and separate from the runways used by military aircraft.

It took 45 minutes to taxi, at high speed, from the commercial aircraft landing point to the disembarkation point, same for departing flights. And often the commercial aircraft would have to stop and wait (maybe 1 hour or more) whilst mostly US air-force aircraft were maneuvering / lining up for take off / landing etc.

Edited by scorecard

The A380 is an unusually quiet aircraft and the airport can't handle one doing passenger flights. An A380 did visit a few years ago as part of an Airbus round the world promotional thing. If i remember correctly the wing tip got sheared off at BKK before it made the hop up to CM.

Of course one amelioratory answer would be to use ONLY A380 aircraft, and fill them full. This would cut down on the number of flights, and would also reduce the noise pollution PER flight.

But then flights would be cheaper and more people would fly......

But then flights would be cheaper and more people would fly......

1. But each flight would still be quieter

2. More people flying would be good for the economy

3. I do not dislike people.

4. I only dislike loud aircraft with full open throttles climbing overhead while I try to sip coffee and listen to the birds and the rustle of leaves in the trees

5. I mean: I do not dislike people, although I hate tourists, and so if there were more people flying of the non-tourist variety, then that would be OK. As pointed out, the A380 is supposed to be a very quiet aircraft, which may result from having much larger slower spinning engine turbines (but I do not know)

Edited by BaronOfThunder

No, actually.

The Bass is exactly right. I have noted with consternation the fact that AT 2 IN THE MORNING I STILL hear these planes sometimes roaring overhead. I could not believe it. Also, I think that there might be some landings landing from the North.

I did not keep notes, and so I cannot confirm the exact time or direction. However, I DO know that these flights were happening after midnight, for sure. And not just a few minutes after, but hours after.

Yes - there are definitely flights well after midnight. When I'm reading in bed I can see the planes out of the corner of one eye taking off, moreso when I'm on the tablet and don't have any lights on - I'm usually interested in just how bright the lights are when it's dark. The latest I've noticed has been about 2.15, but there are regularly two or three in quick succession around the 1am mark. I assumed it was every night, but obviously not. Still no early morning ones that I've noticed, but they are still taking off The airport may be a place to find all of the information on past arrivals and departures. May not help, but worth a try.