Documents required for extension based on Retirement

Tywais

This is probably a moving target, but there have been requests for a topic specific to requirements based on retirement. The below is what I've found for the requirements and documents. Members with recent experience or wish to expand on this please add to this topic.

Consideration for Extending Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa

7.21 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than one year at a time. Qualifications for consideration of extending a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa include:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over; and
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application
(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21, 1998, and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous
3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.

(b )If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55, the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account

deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 50,000.

Documentation to be submitted includes:

1. Application form (TM7 printed double sided)

2. 4x6 cm photograph with medium blue background
3. Copy of the applicant's passport
4. Proof of income, e.g., retirement pension, interest earnings or dividends, etc.; and/or
5. Certificate of local bank account deposit together with copies of bank account records
6. Only in the case set out in clause (6), the same documentation as stated in clauses 1-4 above shall be required.

All forms and copies signed in blue ink.

Links to police orders

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=278456
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280314

Maybe need to add, forms must be filled in with BLUE ink, and photo to have a BLUE (medium)

background,these could catch people out,and i am sure they are thinking more up, its never ending.

regards worgeordie

Maybe need to add, forms must be filled in with BLUE ink, and photo to have a BLUE (medium)

background,these could catch people out,and i am sure they are thinking more up, its never ending.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for that, now updated. Is the requirement one or two photos?

Yeah, I figure this topic is going to be a moving target. biggrin.png

Would note that it's been acceptable to simply type in the TM-7 form (all capitals preferred) on your computer and print that out....which typically is black ink. But perhaps necessary to sign it in blue ink as noted.

I used black ink, 2 weeks ago. I have heard of legal contracts requiring different ink colors, though. I was advised by UbonJoe to print TM7 double sided...I did do that. I think making a small deposit right before the letter is wise....a simple update will only show interest paid at the end of the previous month...not the date of the update. A 50 thb deposit, will show the date of that deposit. I wasn't asked for any proof of address, but I was, when I did my 90 in July, and numerous people were SOL.

Oops. My photos have a white background (and always have.) If I'm caught out, I'll have to make a quick trip to the photo shop at Chaeng Wattana. I hope that I can slip through since the photos were just taken about two months ago.

Oops. My photos have a white background (and always have.) If I'm caught out, I'll have to make a quick trip to the photo shop at Chaeng Wattana. I hope that I can slip through since the photos were just taken about two months ago.

This is at Chiang Mai immigration where they only recently started requiring the blue background for their own peculiar policies. They also are enforcing the 4x6 cm size now. Not sure if it is wide spread or not such as being required in Bangkok. Used to be white background and pretty much any reasonable photo size was acceptable here.

Only one 4 x 6 cm photo required.

Tywais -- I think your original list should be more specific about Point No. 4. I know people who have taken their actual "proof of income", i.e U.S. income tax returns, pension statements, investment earnings reports to the Imm. office thinking that's what's needed for "proof of income" Nope -- is the "Certification of Income" from your Consulate or Embassy that Imm. wants to see as "proof of income" and it's a good idea to have those other documents available to show only if the officer conducting the interview wants to see back-up documents for proof -- something that rarely happens.

Another point to clarify is how long the "Certificate of Income" from the Consulate/Embassy and "Certificate of Balance" from the bank are valid. The bank letter is valid only for 7 days. This rule has tripped up people who have gone to Imm. Prom and been turned away from the morning queue 2 or 3 times because there aren't enough queue cards to meet demand. How about the letter from the Consulate/Embassy? I've heard they're valid for six months in most of Thailand, but haven't there been reports of only one month validity for Chiang Mai? Clarification of this would be good.

it would be interesting to have clarification on the validity of the income letter,as its not cheap to obtain 2400bht,and be a bumber if it was rejected for a few weeks out of date.though its a financial report of the last financial year so its historical data,but this is tit,and as were questioning there visa processing,there propaly doing the same to us.

it would be interesting to have clarification on the validity of the income letter,as its not cheap to obtain 2400bht,and be a bumber if it was rejected for a few weeks out of date.though its a financial report of the last financial year so its historical data,but this is tit,and as were questioning there visa processing,there propaly doing the same to us.

An income letter can be up to 6 months old and still be accepted. It was made official in June of 2013.

Copy of directive in Thai and English is here PCEC-NOTICE-THAI-IMMIGRATION-NEWS-JUNE-6.pdf

Copy of passport....all pages with Thai stamps?

When we had the little CLL/CEC private session at Imm. Prom. on Sept 26 they definitely didn't want EVERY page of the passport with Thai stamps for retirement extensions. They did want pages that showed the transfer stamps (if the passport was a new since arrival in Thailand), original visa that is being used for the most recent extension, the most recent extension and the entries during the period of the most recent extension, along with appropriate re-entry permit(s). And, of course, copy of the TM6.

Every copy signed and dated.

I can't remember if a copy of the 90 day report receipt and TM30 receipt was required.

I'm due for my retirement extension soon, so I'll pay attention.

I know the copy shop at Imm. Prom, next to G4T charges more than shops in the city (and is probably part of the G4T "empire") but their charges aren't outrageously more than other copy shops and one advantage of using them is you can simply hand them your completed TM7 application form and your passport and the person running the copy machine knows what pages of your passport to copy. I figure the extra charge is worth it to let them figure which pages are relevant.

This was my standards practice at Imm. when they did retirement ext.near the airport. Let the ladies in their copy shop figure out which passport pages to copy.

I think the only time that either Hubby or I had to photo copy EVERY page was in transferring stamps for a new passport. But, YMMV -- after all, this is CM Imm. and they like to make up the rules as they go -- witness the blue vs. white background question for the photo, which seems to be current "rule" that they're selectively enforcing depending upon how much trouble they want to create for the applicant.

I've heard they want the emergency contact page copied. They didn't ask for my 90 report, but had it ready. I didn't date any of my copies. The wind does blow in many directions over there, that is for sure. How about a bumper sticker or t-shirt that states: Sorry, I Gave At The (Immigration) Office.

I've heard they want the emergency contact page copied. They didn't ask for my 90 report, but had it ready. I didn't date any of my copies. The wind does blow in many directions over there, that is for sure. How about a bumper sticker or t-shirt that states: Sorry, I Gave At The (Immigration) Office.

The emergency contact page of your passport? Seriously? My brother's address, email and phone number in the U.S.? That's none of their da@n business!

They do ask for your phone number and email address to be written on the TM & form near your signature. That should be more than enough.

As it seems according to some that the rules are going to be made up when I arrive at immigration with my paperwork, photos and everything, then I won`t bother with all that agro. I`ll probably go to the GT4 agency before hand and ask them exactly what I need? Then go to GT4 on the day, pay the 3000 baht peace of mind fee and the 1900 baht stamp passport fee, get the stamp and bugger off home to a couple of hours passive drinking and wild debauchery with my girlfriend to celebrate my achievement of spending another fabulous year in Chiang Mai.

As it seems according to some that the rules are going to be made up when I arrive at immigration with my paperwork, photos and everything, then I won`t bother with all that agro. I`ll probably go to the GT4 agency before hand and ask them exactly what I need? Then go to GT4 on the day, pay the 3000 baht peace of mind fee and the 1900 baht stamp passport fee, get the stamp and bugger off home to a couple of hours passive drinking and wild debauchery with my girlfriend to celebrate my achievement of spending another fabulous year in Chiang Mai.

Based on reports from the past week, it would have been worth your time to show up at 8 am! Yes, seriously. Everyone in the queue by opening got a ticket this past week. Strange, but true.

It would seem a "reasonable compromise" strategy is to pull in at, say 7:30 - 8 am just to see what's shaking. Have your documents ready and get in the queue. Don't expect much and then you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get a queue card. If you don't, you can go have one of Rim Ping's nice breakfasts for around 100 baht and then come around when the staff at G4T wakes up around 9 am.

I can't believe I'm giving this advice, but I know you're planning to use G4T anyway. You might as well make a stab at getting your own queue number.

Also, worth pointing out a retiree (dependant under 50) needs a copy of the marriage certificate certified by their

Consulate / Embassy

You must mean if the marriage was registered outside of Thailand. Otherwise, I would think a Thai certiicate would be more than sufficient. Maybe put a copy in the "extra stuff to carry along if hassled" category. So, can you confirm what you actually mean?

From NancyL above:

When we had the little CLL/CEC private session at Imm. Prom. on Sept 26 they definitely didn't want EVERY page of the passport with Thai stamps for retirement extensions. They did want pages that showed the transfer stamps (if the passport was a new since arrival in Thailand), original visa that is being used for the most recent extension, the most recent extension and the entries during the period of the most recent extension, along with appropriate re-entry permit(s).

Also posted by NancyL previously, when carrying a new passport, a copy of the transfer stamp is necessary. It just confirms the same information pages submitted for the transfer (a work saver).

Also posted by NancyL (and others many times) previously, it is smart to bring along routine proofs, like pension confirmation statements, if you have them (and everyone receiving a pension should have a current statement of benefits), one or two pages of bank income transfers from abroad, all if you are going the pension route.

It would REALLY going to get hot and heavy around here if, one of these days, Immigration will refuse to accept consular affidavits. That would most likely reduce the expat population of Chiang Mai significantly.

There is a basic set of requirements that all are asked for.

Then there are requirements that are not always imposed but are sometimes asked for depending on conditions known or unknown.

A two part list would be appropriate.

Question:

Is #5 in lieu of #4 if using the bank account method or a required addition to #4?

I do not remember having to provide any banking info last year while using the #4 method.

That said, I have prepared a copy of ATM withdrawals and an ACH transfer for the last 12 months.

I guess I'll fill out the TM in blue and black

I have copies of my actual pension for proof, copies of lease, other 4x6 photo is case the blue hue doesn't have the correct saturation,

I'll get a fresh haircut, dress appropriate, shave, brush my teeth, go to the temple the night before, smile a lot and hold my breath while the I/O goes through my papers.

Thanks to ubonjoe for the PDF. Good to have.

Technically, if using the 800,000 baht bank account method to justify your retirement visa, you're not suppose to need to show banking transactions -- just the account of an appropriate age. That seasoning is suppose to be 3 months for a retirement extension, although there was one isolated report of someone being turned away from CM Imm. recently after being shown a paper that it had to be six months. Unfortunately, he didn't ask for a copy of that paper -- he just returned home to get his older bank passbook.

While you don't need to show banking activity if you use the 800,000 baht bank account method, they can ask how it is that you have money to support yourself if there is not activity in that 800,000 baht account. I've been asked this and showed a passbook for the joint account that Hubby and I have for our daily living expenses. They just glanced at it and didn't bother to calculate how much we spend every month. I simply had a "believable story to tell about my source of income" -- i.e. my husband supports me.

We have all been waiting up on a follow-up on that unsubstantiated rumor about the seasoning. The question about supporting yourself. might be to determine if you are blatantly working illegally, Retires, seems to be the only suitable answer for answer for a number of questions...even if you work in China half the year...best to not volunteer it.

We have all been waiting up on a follow-up on that unsubstantiated rumor about the seasoning. The question about supporting yourself. might be to determine if you are blatantly working illegally, Retires, seems to be the only suitable answer for answer for a number of questions...even if you work in China half the year...best to not volunteer it.

The only follow up to report is that one guy had a problem. He had a bank book that showed just over 90 days of seasoning and claims he was showed a letter that now six months of seasoning was required. In the thread, at least one other person claimed he had thought that was the "rule" also, but many others said that they'd presented passbooks with evidence of just three months and been OK.

The fellow really regrets that he didn't a get a copy of the letter but he wasn't too fussed -- he just made a trip home and got his previous bank passbook. Problem solved. They had given him a queue card for the afternoon so it's not like he had to return for another early morning vigil. Perhaps they expected him to get all panicked when they showed him the letter, (he'd be the first to admit he's not the best in the grooming department and probably looks a little shifty) but instead he simply said he'd have to go home to get his previous bank book, could he have an afternoon queue number? At least they worked with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Given how the changes in wind direction at Promenada seem to affect requirements, do they prefer / insist that the photo is stuck to the TM.47 form or do they like it separate? I'm conscious of turning up and finding my photo has the wrong shade of blue, easier to change if they stick the photos on once they confirm it's OK (as they do in Phuket). Not being sarcastic about this at all. I have blue background 4x6cm photos now. Whether it's the right blue I've no idea.

Archived