Documents/Requirements for Marriage Extension

Tywais

Hello.

My work permit and extension of stay on my non-imm B visa from 12 years ago will expire end of this month. I left work last year but they agreed to keep the visa and WP going, which my lawyer told me they could do if they chose to.

Now they tell me they won't renew it this year, and i want to get extension of stays based on my marriage of seven years. I have had more than 400k in the bank for several months in anticipation of this.

Is there anything i need to know specifically on my situation, over and above the documents listed as needed on this topic? I imagine i will have to get a termination letter from my employer, but i'm wondering about dates and so on.

Do they give 12 months at the first visit? I understood last year that you only get one month extension initially. That puts me in a quandary since i have a huge family meet-up in phuket last week of june!

Any help most appreciated!

I've been getting the bank letter from SCB here in Chiangmai for Immigration for years and have never had a problem having them understand what I've wanted. Just tell them you want the bank letter for Immigration - they'll very likely immediately understand what you want (they have a template form on their machine).

One weird thing, though, is I can only get that bank letter from the branch where I opened the account (the other branches won't do it for me). They also (like other banks, I'm told) charge about 200 baht for issuing the letter.

I think you are talking about your bank account statement ...!

I've been getting the bank letter from SCB here in Chiangmai for Immigration for years and have never had a problem having them understand what I've wanted. Just tell them you want the bank letter for Immigration - they'll very likely immediately understand what you want (they have a template form on their machine).

One weird thing, though, is I can only get that bank letter from the branch where I opened the account (the other branches won't do it for me). They also (like other banks, I'm told) charge about 200 baht for issuing the letter.

That is a strange thing about banks here in Thailand...they almost seem like franchises rather than branches.

Many things you can only do in "your bank", not in another bank with the same name.

The hoops you gentlemen have to jump through for the privilege of living here. It's unbelievable.

No one 'has' to live here!

Anyone not able to negotiate the 'hoops' is welcome leave.

I have lived here for a long time and have never experienced the problems described by the moaners !

The hoops you gentlemen have to jump through for the privilege of living here. It's unbelievable.

I have lived here for a long time and have never experienced the problems described by the moaners !

Please be kind and enlighten them, as it truly can be complicated to deal with most visas. IMHO, a marriage visa should be cut and dry, no hassles. If you can prove you're married, that's it. The rest is nonsense.

Please be kind and enlighten them, as it truly can be complicated to deal with most visas. IMHO, a marriage visa should be cut and dry, no hassles. If you can prove you're married, that's it. The rest is nonsense.

All told, I probably spend 2-3 days per year working on "visa" (extension of stay). I would hardly call that "truly complicated".

A good share of the bitching comes from those who are not sufficiently prepared.

Yes, there is an arbitrary nature to some of the visa requirements. Fortunately that seems to be somewhat localized to a few offices.

Would I like the Extension of Stay based on Marriage process to be simpler? Absolutely. To me, history/longevity should count for something. One should not have to fill out the "family story" sheet every time (by the way, that seems like something the officer should fill out during the interview process, not something my wife should fill out). Ideally, the process (after the first Extension of Stay) would go something like:

- Give the officer my passport and tambien baan, and the wife's ID card and tambien baan

- The officer pulls up my/our profile on the computer and verifies our IDs

- The officer asks if any of the "facts" have changed since the last extension

- If so, the officer updates the information online, and scans any documents needed to support changes

- The officer does a scan of my passport photo page, current entry stamp, and TM6

- The officer prints a form that contains all of the relevant information for the application

- My wife and I both sign the application form

- Come back for the second visit to get the approval

I cannot imagine what the hell they are doing with all of the paper that is generated with the current system, or who the hell would ever read all of that, or slog through it for any historical purpose.

You say "here"...so what basis do you use to stay in Thailand? I guess it could not be those "truly complicated" visas.

• 1 month later...

Okay, my marriage visa expires at the end of July.

I am wondering, can anyone having some recent experience what immigration expects for renewal time frame?

Should I do it 30 days before the one I have expires or anytime within 30 days of expiration?

I ask because it seems to change nearly every time I go for renewal. I once was turned away and they told me to come back when it was 2 weeks before expiration but other times they say I can do it and preferably anytime before 30 days from expiration.

As usual, their requests/requirements continuously change so I'm seeking some recent experience... TIA

Just submit my marriage visa extension application yesterday. FYI, Mine expired on 30 June 2016.

- Reach on 5.50am. Only manage to get 2nd last Q. Got a few peoples got turn away.. So, please go early!

- Q number start give out around 6.30am.

- Counter start processing on 8.30am

- I stay back because I need to transfer my visa to new passport.

- after done transfer. I leave and came back around 2pm.

- my number got called around 3pm

- By 3.30pm, my application was completed.

Additional documents needed but not listed by TS are:

- 2 photos instead of 1

- Map to your house (2 copies)

- Recent photos of you and your spouse (2 copies). Can be printed in black & white (at least for my application)

Hope above info help.

That is true. I only get the letter from the bank that I put my 400K Fix deposit.

Official in Bangkok Bank at HangDong branch are very friendly and helpful. I have no problem getting what I need for visa extension. They don't charge me either.

Just submit my marriage visa extension application yesterday. FYI, Mine expired on 30 June 2016.

- Reach on 5.50am. Only manage to get 2nd last Q. Got a few peoples got turn away.. So, please go early!

- Q number start give out around 6.30am.

- Counter start processing on 8.30am

- I stay back because I need to transfer my visa to new passport.

- after done transfer. I leave and came back around 2pm.

- my number got called around 3pm

- By 3.30pm, my application was completed.

Additional documents needed but not listed by TS are:

- 2 photos instead of 1

- Map to your house (2 copies)

- Recent photos of you and your spouse (2 copies). Can be printed in black & white (at least for my application)

Hope above info help.

Many thanks although getting there super early to get a place in line for a queue is going to suck.....

DD

Definitely go in 30 days before it expires then if there is any problem you can relax about it knowing you have plenty of time to get it resolved. Retirement extensions san be done 45 days in advance so you might check if it is the same for marriage extensions.

• 1 month later...

update july 15th

went to CM Airport immigration to extend for the first time a non-immigrant O Spouse visa.

Arrived 5.30 and was about Nr. 15 in queue - they have now 3 separate queues

1) Student, teacher, missionaries

2) BOI, Permit residence

3) Business, Marriage

At 6.30 am they started to give the numbers. On my turn she already told me that she wasn't sure if i could be processed today and that i have to wait to 8.30 am till the officers are in..

luckily there's Amazon and seven eleven nearby now to get a snack and sit down for the 2 hours.

Went back at 8.30 am and they confirmed me to come back in the afternoon at 1.30pm

At 1.30 pm my wife and I got back and i was our turn right away.. (don't assume to be late afternoon just because you have a high number - you might miss your spot)

For the extension they required - 2 Sets of each!!

1) TM7 with 2 passport photos

2) copy of wife's tabian baan

3) copy of wife's ID card

--> my wife already changed her surname in the amphoe but did not have her new ID card, of course we had to get the new ID card done before they accepted it

4) Copy of Ko Rong 2 and marriage certificate

--> During checking, he noticed that i was previously married. He asked me for a confirmation of the Amphoe that i was divorced.. Of course we did not have that one.. this confirmation is needed long before the visa process during the marriage - without it there couldn't be any marriage.. he was obviously not correctly informed. Luckily we still had a copy of the translated Marriage permission issued by my embassy and the certified copy of the thai ministry of foreign affairs. He accepted that one

5) Confirmation of 400k in a Thai bankaccount in my name

--> here it got a bit weird: On the letter from the bank, the balance was clearly stated with the date from previous day. But the bank did not update the book because i had no recent account changes.. They did NOT accept it and told me that the book needed to be updated too.. they said to go back, make a deposit/withrawal of 100 baht to update the book at the atm.. i however made a bigger transaction and let the bank do the confirmation letter and the certified copy of the book again, just to not take any chances... make sure you have the original bank book with you he wanted to have a look at it

6) printed pictures of us in front of the house

--> i don't know if they are required - we took and printed them just in case - they attached it to the application

7) copy of my passport, only the pages with information about me, the visa, current stamp and arrival card

8) Hand drawn map of the house

--> I printed a google map and tuned it really nice with adress and direction - they did NOT want it. My wife had to draw a map by hand

9) Copy of the rental contract

--> altough he did not ask that the first time we got there, he asked it during the application process, after he found out that we rent a house

After all Documents are handed over they fill in some other forms. They asked my wife where we met, how long we are a couple etc. Some other informations about where we live, how high the rent is, who is living in the house etc.

Finally i handed over 1'900 Baht and took the picture. Then i got notified, that they extend my visa for 30 days initially and i could go to the immigration on august 12 at around 2pm to receive the 1 year extension stamp.

hope it helps, Chris

• 1 month later...

First marriage extension application after retirement extensions for many years.

Arrived at Chiang Mai Airport Immigration Office just before 6:00 am and was given a number at about half past.  On asking, was told this would be an afternoon call so went off to do more useful things and came back at 1:00 with my wife.  Our number was called at around 3:00 and it went without a hitch - he asked almost no questions about our family or house and made no requests for a TM30 or anything else we didn't have.  Was asked to draw a map to our house to replace the fabulous high resolution Google version with directions which has been well received by everyone from the gas delivery guy to shippers from Bangkok, so smiled and rendered a particularly poor effort in pencil out of pique.  They have the original 90 Day officer there doing something at a desk which says it's for 90 day reports and since mine is due this week I was told I could do it there.  While it was better to get all this over on the same day, the advantage was diminished by the two Agents in front of me each of which had 6 or 7 sets of something to have processed many of which required payment, receipt issuing and multiple stamping in a way that harks back to a 1950's post office.

1. We had two copies of everything including the application (TM7) along with a second photograph (which by the way doesn't have to be 4 x 6cm - my standard passport size that fitted the box printed on the form was accepted without comment).
  2. Everything needs signing in blue ink with your name printed underneath.  Marriage certificates need signing by both partners and where a sheet is two sided you need to do both sides.
  3. Half a dozen family photos printed in colour on a single sheet of plain paper.
  4. Children's birth certificates.
  5. We included copies of the Tabien Baan entries for my wife and children and my Yellow TB.  No questions about address asked and no original documents examined except for my passport and my wife's ID card.
  6. Although we gave them our Marriage Certificate, we also provided the proof of my wife's name change so it matched her ID Card.
  7. We gave them two of each item paper clipped together but since he then had to sort them into piles, I think that offering two identical sets of papers would be more convenient.

My impression is that Visa Agents' attention to things like the above tips makes life easier for the Immigration Officers (who work amazingly hard) but that doing it yourself doesn't present much of a challenge, given you've still got to come up with all the originals and do all the tedious signing.  Scanning everything and keeping it in one folder should make a future application quicker.

By the way, if you have found completing a downloaded version of a TM7 or 90 Day Report difficult in Word (for some reason it doesn't format properly when I try it), it works fine if you download the PDF version, open it in Acrobat DC and select Tools>Fill & Sign.  Don't select Tools>Edit as that brings up an invitation to buy Acrobat Pro.  The files were not actually saved as Forms but using Fill and Sign allows you to position text wherever you want and size each field individually too.  Prints perfectly.

The whole effort probably amounted to one early call and about half a day's time so although I still have to get the OK from Bangkok next month, it's worked out happily so far.

• 2 months later...

I corresponded with a TV guy from BKK who told me he had extended his visa (in Nov.) for 60-days and DID NOT require proof of funds,also that his friend in CM had done the same.

Im only looking for a 60-day extension to my non-O / SE.....which I did not need proof of funds to receive it in Vancouver.

Could someone please clarify if proof of funds and or TM30 are needed for a limited extension ?   Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2016 at 2:22 PM, Tywais said:

Copy of Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration or long tabian) from amphoe office, dated not older than 6 months from issue of copy

Sorry for asking a rather redundant question, but this is so odd that I must clarify. So, the copy is not just a normal copy, this copy must not only be from the office, but also dated not older than 6 months. So, in essence, every year one must go to the amphoe office and get a new one. Is this correct?

Also, if one is renting, we need a TM?

On 15/03/2016 at 8:55 PM, connda said:

Tywais. What you posted is correct. I tend to make duplicates of all originals of everything, I carry my passport, original marriage certificate, Aphur certified Kor 2, and my term bank book. I carry current pictures taken of wife and I at the gate of the house with the address between us and the house in the background, a picture inside the home on the bed, a picture inside the home on the sofa (same locations every year but current), I carry pictures of my son's wedding, my son's ordination, my ordination, and pictures with friends and family in the village.

I peruse the TV immigration site for threads over the last year detailing TV member's experiences with marriage extensions that don't fit what should be routine and the norm, I note them, and prepare accordingly.

I've found that they will ask you for everything you don't have and will return to you what you do have if you are over-prepared (for example: on one side of my map is a Google map print-out, on the other side and map hand drawn by the wife - give them one, they ask for the other, flip the paper over, Bob's your Uncle). However, I've bagged it in this year and I'm having a vista agent do the headache (more as a result of the online queue system being pulled). Having done my own for the last five years, and having five years of watching the disparity between interviewing I/Os, I'll just carry what I usually carry - extra copies of things they shouldn't request, but will if they choose to make life difficult for you. I don't want to make more than one trip. The less time I spend inside of an Immigration Office, especially here in CM, the better. My strategy is simple: over-prepared, be prepared for anything, shut up and let the wife talk. This year, I'll have a visa agent and my wife between me and the I/O. The less I say the better.

And to stay in the spirit of this thread, I'll write up my visit observations and post for others after my appointment.

What agent do you use connda? Any good?

Wife and I will be renewing my extension based on marriage the first week in April. 

Has anyone experienced any notable changes in procedures as compared to last year? 

• One I've noticed in another forum is the need to use the New and Improved TM.7 issued this year. That form can be found here complements of ubonjoe.

Anything else that others married to Thais have experienced recently?

On 2/11/2017 at 2:33 AM, rwdrwdrwd said:

What agent do you use connda? Any good?

I used OS Visa on 12/3 Nimmanhaemin Rd. Soi 9 last year.  I was happy with them.  The only negative is that parking on Nimmanhaemin Rd. Soi 9 was an absolute horror last year when they implemented the one-way system of those roads.  They have since been reverted back to two-way. 

This year I'm not sure what I'll be doing.  I live in Lamphun province so I now use the Lamphun immigration office for processing my 90 day report.  The last time I went that still had not opened for Full-Service.  They had everything in place, but Bangkok had not given them the OK to process visas.  That was close to 90 days ago.  I'll check again at the end of the month.  Considering they have closed the Airport Immigration Office, I sure hope the Lamphun office is open for Full-Service by April.  Otherwise I'll be recruiting OS Visa to process my extension at the Promenade's Charlie Foxtrot Immigration Office location.  <cringe> :sad:

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, CMBob said:

It was explained to me a long time ago by my Bangkok Bank bloke that branches, albeit they are the same bank, their computers simply do not talk to each other.He said Thailand is very 3rd world when it comes to banking culture,no argument from me.

But one golden rule is never try to do your business in a Mall branch unless its a head office. The staff simply are terrified of making a mistake or being reprimanded.Try to do a cash advance with a debit card they will tell you the machine is broken.

So the simple answer is use a main branch ,form a relationship with someone who looks long term and you won't have a problem.

I use KSK, Bangkok Bank, Mr Sombat, no problems in communication or service for 9 years.

• 4 months later...

Hello I will be applying for  non-o marriage visa extension in a few months. This will be the first time I have applied for an extension as i recently went to Vientiane to get my non-o visa. I will get the non-o extension on the basis of me having 400,000 Baht in my bank account. How do I prove to the Immigration in Chiang Mai that the money has been in my account for two months? Do I just give them a copy of my bank book or is some kind of official letter needed from my bank. Thanks very much. 

• 3 months later...

At the moment I have the 1 year Non O based on marriage visa.

I am thinking I should start getting my head around the extension process, so it goes smoothly.

1. Firstly I am wondering if the requirements from the original post is complete and applicable.

2. Unlike the visa, do you apply for this extension in Thailand?

3. How long does the extension last? I am assuming 1 year or multiple entries up to 3 months?

4 The trickiest part of this for me is the timing of it all due to work. From what I gathered online (correct me if i'm wrong) I should apply for it 1-2 months before expiry and it will take 3 or 4 weeks to be approved? Is this correct? I have read a few different things.

Looking forward to hearing some answers as it all seems straightforward except perhaps the timing bit.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

I have now been asked to show my Thai Bank account withdrawals over the last year- for my visa marriage extension. Available for 6 months from Bangkok Bank (100 Baht) -It has to be signed and stamped by the bank -an updated bank book is apparently not  acceptable. Cannot find this condition anywhere on information sites. 

Am I the only one?

Nong Khai office 21/06/18

I just went a couple of weeks ago for my one year extension based on marriage in CM and everything was just like the prior year. I got there at 6:30am and was 5th in line and finished up around 11:00am. This was on a Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 5/31/2018 at 10:02 AM, happysoul said:

Hello,

Bumping this thread, anybody got some updates on mariage extensions in CM ? Do you need to go at 2am as others extensions ? Still same paper requirements ?

Thanks for any input, cheers

I just did one, my first.

No, you do not need to. There is a quota of 15 people per day, but the queue was less than that the day I went. I do not have enough stats to know which day to pick.

There is a specific queue for that specific purpose. It is by the #3 or #4 office. I came at  around 7:15.

There are students (probably children of the immigration officers) that will triage and check your document.

There is a list now. I think this list should be pinned. The issue is that if you follow it, you will make mistakes. I am well educated and can read. When they say make 2 copies, they do not mean that. They mean make 1 stack with original forms and copies of documents and another stacks with all copies, including the forms. Please correct me if I am wrong. The guy who did it did not let me review what was in those. I remember being forced to fill/sign some forms, maybe twice. I think one must because I was forced to take a 2nd picture for the main application form. Please, report back. I suspect they want all forms to be filled by hand and signed by hand. These people are an absolute joke.So, the directions are not clear. I did mention it to the students, but I doubt they will change the form's directions.

After this (and those students are a pleasure to work with as their command of English is superior and they are patient/meticulous). I suspect they must be with the Napoleonic figures running the show. 

After about an hour or two, depending on your queue number, the "officer" (not the one with the shirt hair) will have sit you down in the office and go through the documents, stamping here and there. In my case, because I cam about 2 weeks before my visa expired, a time to come back at a specf. time was put into my passport. I suspect everyone must do that. She had to give me a free temporary extension of one month. Be careful! She made an error with the date of the next meeting. She crossed it with a rule (which looked like a stamp line) and then put the real date way above the paper, after having told us that the first date was when we had to show up. Not sure if this was uttered before she made the change or not. My wife had to ask a question that the students could not answer. The I. O. came back outside and started to berate her (I think as this was in Thai). I could see her facial and animated gestures. Not very "jaidee". My wife assumed her submissiveness and apologized. Apparently, the question was a stupid question. I assumed that because it was in the public, the I. O. felt she had failed in her duty and had lost face. These people need to go see shrinks. I would recommend people start recording these people in a covert way. 

My wife told me they would show up at our home. It has been 2 weeks and no one has, but I got a phone call asking me, my wife, and a witness to come to the airport office (at a given time).

The I. O. there sat us all down in a room that has many desk and people interviewed. I suspect this is due to the facilities being built and them being crammed into a make-shift office. He asked a few questions to the witness. She signed a form. They took a picture of all 4 (incl. the I. O.). We were done in about 30 min.

Btw, it has been 3 weeks now and no one has come by. I am told that my pension easily covers the 45 K B. requirement (which is proven to them by your consulate who will ascertain your claim using some bank papers you must show them) and this might explain that.  We live in a moobaan and rent. 

Btw, I was told by an applicant who was Thai that the 90 days reporting can be done by mail. 

immigration list  a.jpg

imm list b.jpg

On 10/29/2017 at 11:43 PM, sikishrory said:

At the moment I have the 1 year Non O based on marriage visa.

I am thinking I should start getting my head around the extension process, so it goes smoothly.

1. Firstly I am wondering if the requirements from the original post is complete and applicable.

2. Unlike the visa, do you apply for this extension in Thailand?

3. How long does the extension last? I am assuming 1 year or multiple entries up to 3 months?

4 The trickiest part of this for me is the timing of it all due to work. From what I gathered online (correct me if i'm wrong) I should apply for it 1-2 months before expiry and it will take 3 or 4 weeks to be approved? Is this correct? I have read a few different things.

Looking forward to hearing some answers as it all seems straightforward except perhaps the timing bit.

Thanks

Read my post.

I have done visa trips before (deterred by a ad hoc company that can help process the visa extension and my wife believing every word that they said, of course). There is a new rule that make those less efficient. With the 90 mail in process, the visa runs are not worth it any more.

The new rule specifies that after you leave Thailand for that visa run, you must go to Promenada and report back (within 24 hours of your arrival, 2nd floor by Amazon cafe/Promenada (opens at 8:30 [take # and sit down ]/starts at 9) to show that you are still living in the same address than you reported before (not sure if your hotel/condo can do that for you). I hate that new rule, but I suspect they are reacting to transgressions made by some. I got fined about 1000 B. My wife spoke about that and since I am not going to do visa runs I did not bother determining what the whole process is. I think the verification (TM 30 I think) is free, btw. But it is the issue of showing up and wasting time. Of course, the border O. did not mention anything. I am sure it is written on one of those many boards they have there and in terrible English of course (so that people dismiss or misunderstand the instruction).

Archived